Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 3, 2017   #1
weaselbean
Tomatovillian™

Default I'm Baffled

Got 4 tomatoes on the south side of the house that wilt everyday when the sun gets on them, about 1pm. If I water them they stand up ln less then 15 minutes like nothing wrong. The soil is damp before I water. I tried not watering them and they looked worse. Cherokee, Fenda, Bettery boy, and Homestead plants. The leaves are perfectly clean, no spots, yellowing, nothing. Most have large marble size fruit. If I don't water they will stand up during the night but wilt again as soon as the sun hits them. Never seen this before.....
weaselbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #2
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

We've had some inconsistent weather north of you in Virginia. I've noticed the same thing with some tomatoes and peppers.

When I checked the soil, it was moist. I later thought to check the root ball . . . it was dry. Some of the plants haven't spread out enough roots yet.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #3
weaselbean
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
We've had some inconsistent weather north of you in Virginia. I've noticed the same thing with some tomatoes and peppers.

When I checked the soil, it was moist. I later thought to check the root ball . . . it was dry. Some of the plants haven't spread out enough roots yet.
Well, that could be it. They've been in the ground for about 3 weeks. Nothing else makes sense. The ones around the corner on the east side of the house are doing great. Ive got them all well mulched.

Last edited by weaselbean; May 3, 2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: spellling
weaselbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #4
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Check the main stalk of the wilting plants near the ground level. They might have a bug. Also possible root damage from insects make a weak plant.
Old May 4, 2017   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Put a thermometer near the plants and find out just how hot they're getting. Maybe the needed item for them is some shade. Tomatoes don't like temps above 85-90 F. Also, wet surface and dry root ball tells me your growing medium needs something added that will allow more oxygen (just plain air) around the roots. The other thought was that dry root ball might indicate watering that is not deep enough.

If your growing medium has too much clay or too much sand, you need to amend it to get more composted mix down near the root ball. Dig out the clay or sand and mix half and half with a good mix, and then replace.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #6
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
Check the main stalk of the wilting plants near the ground level. They might have a bug. Also possible root damage from insects make a weak plant.
I put woodchips around the stem of the plants and milipedes or pillbugs chewed the 'bark' stripping most of it leaving the core. So now now no more woodchips next to the stem.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #7
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Just to add to other thoughts posted...are you watering long and slow flow? If using a
hose, use a trickle flow and leave it on each plant for some time. You can test your
'trickle' flow by placing you hose in a 5 gal bucket and time the fill. Might need 3-5 min
per plant. Rather than one big gulp from a watering can. (that may just run off and
not get deep at all.

You need that water to go deep so the roots will follow and grow deep. Otherwise the
root ball is staying near the soil surface.

-just a thought.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Container Ted and Oakley are on the right track. If you see plants starting to wilt around the noon- 1 pm time. Generally it is because the plants are too hot and they wilt to conserve moisture in the leaves. You'd be amazed at how much heat comes off the ground, buildings and other items by the plants besides normal hot temps.

Yes, you need to water deeper. Like Oakley said, if you don't water long and deep the feeder roots all stay near the surface of the soil and heat and wind will dry them out fast and cause wilting too.

The worst thing you can do is to go out during day and water those wilting plants. Once you start watering them like that they expect a drink all the time and that can lead to future problems.

If it a case of plants being to hot and not getting enough water, let the plants wilt and don't water during the day. Check your plants again between 4-6 pm when you start to have shade come over that area. If it because of heat and lack of moisture, your plants will pick back up as their leaves cool and the plant recovers from heat stress. If you see they are recovering that tells you to either move them to a cooler, more shady area or put a thin bit of shade cloth over them.

Now if they don't recover and stay wilted, you might just have a serious problem of Fusarium wilt. The plants wilt and only recover when watered which feeds the disease and the plants will continue to wilt no matter what you do and then I would suggest getting rid of them so you don't infect other plants near by.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote