Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 28, 2017   #91
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

As some of you know, gorbelly and I don't see eye to eye on some issues. But on this one, I'm totally with him.

I'll go one step further, though I don't think he would disagree. The natural libertarians (e.g. BVV above) claim a right to refuse a medical intervention. Yet society can legitimately curtail certain freedoms given a compelling interest. Here society has a very compelling interest - keeping its members safe from the ravages of disease. In some cases I might even be in favor of forced vaccination, and I am certainly in favor of restricting unvaccinated members from public institutions (as gorbelly described above). However, minimal restriction to accomplish the purpose only, please.

[Geez that's badly written. But you get the idea, I hope.]

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #92
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
As some of you know, gorbelly and I don't see eye to eye on some issues. But on this one, I'm totally with him.

I'll go one step further, though I don't think he would disagree. The natural libertarians (e.g. BVV above) claim a right to refuse a medical intervention. Yet society can legitimately curtail certain freedoms given a compelling interest. Here society has a very compelling interest - keeping its members safe from the ravages of disease. In some cases I might even be in favor of forced vaccination, and I am certainly in favor of restricting unvaccinated members from public institutions (as gorbelly described above). However, minimal restriction to accomplish the purpose only, please.

[Geez that's badly written. But you get the idea, I hope.]
Here is a wild thought.

If you refuse to vaccinate the child then the public school has the right to not allow the child in school.
Then if they dont let your child in school you dont have to pay school taxes.
That gives you an option.
Home school the child or let he/she grow up in ignorance.
Can you see where this would put our country.

Then has anyone asked the child what they want, they are people too?
Even as a wee thing I was scared of shots I still am but even then I would take that over what the alternative was.
Lock Jaw if you may is alive and well in this country the reason we dont see it is because we get shots.
As crazy as it may seem we have a government and system and people that cares.
Many developing or not developing countries couldn't care less about the people.
There are some big time crap holes in this world and I mean big time.

Going back to some of the people I have met that are against vaccinations and public schools and in favor of home schools and sometimes against the government.
Many are very smart folks we have them here on this forum.
But.
I have met some at work that couldn't add 2 and 2 and have the education of maybe the 3rd grade.
They are nuts to put it nicely.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #93
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

I vaccinate but I also send my daughter to a private school because my public schools options are not great to put it nicely. Anywho my point is their are kids unvaccinated at her school maybe a religious liberty since it is a christian school so that could be an option depending on location if you don't want to vaccinate. I have some friends who complain about vaccines being safe but are the parents at the Dr getting meds for the sniffles and pumping the kids full of cough medicine( which has been proven ineffective and dangerous) and give benadryl to help them sleep. Makes no sense to me. I envy those who get to homeschool. Maybe when the mortgage is gone but the private school is a happy medium for me.
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #94
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollylasue View Post
I vaccinate but I also send my daughter to a private school because my public schools options are not great to put it nicely. Anywho my point is their are kids unvaccinated at her school maybe a religious liberty since it is a christian school so that could be an option depending on location if you don't want to vaccinate. I have some friends who complain about vaccines being safe but are the parents at the Dr getting meds for the sniffles and pumping the kids full of cough medicine( which has been proven ineffective and dangerous) and give benadryl to help them sleep. Makes no sense to me. I envy those who get to homeschool. Maybe when the mortgage is gone but the private school is a happy medium for me.
My wife didn't want kids and I couldn't afford private school.
So between both of us we didn't have kids for two reasons.

One thing I have to warn about on private schools.
Make darn sure it is legitimate.
The reason I say this is I knew a guy at work some time ago.
His wife tried to get a job as a prison guard.
That is when she found out that the private church school she graduated from was not set up the be recognized by the state.
That diploma she got was worthless they took her families money and many others and ran.
I total rip off.
As many of you well know this is the same thing with some community colleges and so called trade schools.
Not all universities recognize the credits if any.
On a side note and something I thought was way cool.
Last night I read about Denzel Washington.
I love many of his movies and to me his acting in many ways is a reflection of the man he is.
He is one of my favorite actors.
At 14 his father was gone and he was running with the wrong crowd.
His mother put him in a military school.
This simple act alone he admits himself changed his life forever.

Worth
Old April 29, 2017   #95
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

In the military they use to give us shots with a Jet injector. No needle, they just blasted it into your shoulder. I have no idea what all the shots were for, but I got a lot them.
Most years I get the flu shot. I had a second pneumonia vaccination because my doctor told me the second one was better than the first one and gave better protection against pneumonia.
I got the shingles shot once and she never said anything about getting another one. I’ll have to ask her next time I go to see her if I got the new one and/or need another one.
Dutch
P.S. My doctor is a female, but she is not a Female Doctor.

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; April 29, 2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added Post Script
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #96
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
In the military they use to give us shots with a Jet injector. No needle, they just blasted it into your shoulder. I have no idea what all the shots were for, but I got a lot them.
Most years I get the flu shot. I had a second pneumonia vaccination because my doctor told me the second one was better than the first one and gave better protection against pneumonia.
I got the shingles shot once and she never said anything about getting another one. I’ll have to ask her next time I go to see her if I got the new one and/or need another one.
Dutch
P.S. My doctor is a female, but she is not a Female Doctor.
Fort Ord 74 basic training. We walked down a line with people on both sides of us giving us those jet injecector shots. Both arms same time! Whap. Move forward one step. Whap again. I don't recall how many shots but I'm sure I got em all!. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #97
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Then if you are going to Asia they give you even more shots later and you dont have any choice in the matter.
Nor would you want a choice.
The stuff you can pick up over there will kill you or make you wish you were dead.

Worth
Old April 29, 2017   #98
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

The school is for real. It has all its ducks in a row. We had some friends with the same situation happen so we throughly vetted it. The small class sizes are wonderful. Anyway on the shingles. My MIL and my mom both had shingles. MIL is 15 years older and had gotten the vaccine. She was sick a week but could still keep my kids. Mom was out for at least 2 and couldnt do really anything. No idea if the vaccine helped or not( have done zero research on it) but if a flu shot can reduce symptoms i would think the shingles could too. Most people suffer enough just through life if a shot can minimize further suffering with minimal side affects then why not. Also did not know tetanus shots were recommended for gardeners.
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #99
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Think about seat belts. Can a seat belt cause you injury? Sure. It can bruise you, break something during an impact, etc. But that's nothing compared to what it's preventing.

In very rare instances, yes, it can trap you in a burning or submerged car and kill you. But those kinds of accidents are a minuscule percentage of motor vehicle accidents.

The reality is, a seatbelt is overwhelmingly more likely to prevent death and/or extremely serious injury than it is to kill you or permanently damage you in some way that would be worse than if you didn't have it on. If you refuse to wear a seat belt because you want to avoid a bruised rib or collarbone or because you're worried about the barely-there chance that your car accident will involve you going into the water or bursting into flames AND having your seat belt malfunction at the same time, you're not making a rational decision, period.

Now, do I think people should be forced to wear seatbelts in their own cars? It's good public policy and does benefit us all financially in that it drastically reduces the costs, financial and human, of accidents. But I'm not OK with forcing people to do it. It's their car, their life, their body.

The difference with the routine vaccines for highly infectious diseases, though, is that it's not just you and your life and your body or just your child's well-being. That said, people still shouldn't be forced. I very strongly believe that the state has no right to use force to make people do things to their bodies except in urgent cases of real, immediate, and serious danger to the public.

But those people will have to accept it if they or their children are not permitted to enter spaces in which communicable disease is an issue--either by law if public spaces or by the policy of the owner if a private space.

Choices have consequences.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #100
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was going to drive my evil sisters van one time.
She had three kids the oldest was ovder 17.
None of the kids were going to put their seat belts on.
I told them they would if they were going to ride because me as the driver would get the ticket.
The little ones did.
The oldest smart a$$ Lura said well I dont have to and I'm not.
I said then dont you are old enough that they will give you the ticket not me and it will go on your record.
She couldn't get that thing on fast enough.

Worth