Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 6, 2016   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The only thing I eat that the ants like is cheap peanut butter, which has a little sugar in it, and also a homemade BBQ sauce that has sugar. Other than that, I don't really eat sugar, bread, crackers, or anything else that ants like. Most of the ants in my kitchen just wander around looking lost. Low carb dieting solved my ant problem.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #17
berryman
Tomatovillian™

I have a meyers lemon and an algerian tangerine inside in pots and the ants love love it in there. Besides aphids, they will also "farm" citrus scale. They are small, abt. 1/8" flat things that don't move but hang out mostly under leaves and on tender stems. Do a search-lots of pictures on the web.
I would also like to find a non-toxic solution.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #18
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

will be on lookout for citrus scale and read up on DE, as they do love the bulbs. probably get some painters tape around trunk of peach and apply a gel around and see if that works - also on the lime tree. will work over the lime tree by yanking out of the pot first and introduce them to the hose.

the peach tree has about 100 tiny peaches already, so it would be good to at least knock down any free loaders on that dude.

i've also got an in ground apple, however, they do not mess with that.

tried a pear tree or two over the years, but fire blight is real bad and ended up yanking that dude up and putting on the fire. hail ate into the soft skin bark and it was over before it began.

i might have messed up and planted a black locust tree (on far west side of the garden). thorns as big as texas, hope i don't pop a mower tire.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #19
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Inside the house I was able to eliminate argentine ants (the little brown ones) with Twenty Mule Team Borax from the laundry section in the grocery store. I powdered it in a blender and added powdered sugar as an attractant. You need a lot more sugar than borax or the ants ignore it.

It took over a month for complete eradication. After three or four weeks they started to dwindle and then they were all gone.

It doesn't work outside unless you can somehow protect it from moisture.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
The only thing I eat that the ants like is cheap peanut butter, which has a little sugar in it, and also a homemade BBQ sauce that has sugar. Other than that, I don't really eat sugar, bread, crackers, or anything else that ants like. Most of the ants in my kitchen just wander around looking lost. Low carb dieting solved my ant problem.
Two of the three kinds of ants in my house eat WOOD. I mean, the house.
Are you sure those ants are just "lost" ?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #21
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
borax?
That's the way - poisons the queen and takes out the entire colony. Lots of commercial products available or videos on make your own. It takes a few days to work.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #22
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

I haven't seen any mention (unless I missed it somewhere) of whether these are your regular ants or fire ants. Fire ants can be a nuisance to get rid of. They really just relocate. We've used Andro to get them out of the garden. Use sparingly and just on/around the ant hills.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Over the years I've tried all sorts of things on Fire Ants out in the open areas.

I've found that countless brands of fire ant granules make them relocate a few feet away.

Used cooking oil works but leaves soil oily. Weeds still grow in it.

Bleach works.

Watered down Muriatic acid not only kills the ants instantly - it also makes the mound bubble which looks cool. Probably isn't good for the ground though.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #24
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Over the years I've tried all sorts of things on Fire Ants out in the open areas.

I've found that countless brands of fire ant granules make them relocate a few feet away.

Bleach works.

Watered down Muriatic acid not only kills the ants instantly - it also makes the mound bubble which looks cool. Probably isn't good for the ground though.
Well, if I can get them to relocate outside the garden, then we can go 'whole hog' on killing them which is what we've done in the past. Two years ago was a particularly bad year.
Old April 9, 2016   #25
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post

Bleach works.

After replacing one greenhouse kneewall where the ants had nested and chewed the place up, we found a second nest started in one of the sides. Dumped a big bucket of bleach water down into the nest... yep that finished it off. Spraying soaps on ants is a complete waste of time. Even with hot water you pretty much have to drown them to take any down.

Another thing I learned about the carpenter ants (wood boring ants) is that they love rigid foam insulation. I always hated this stuff so there's none in the house itself, but the guys who rebuilt the (attached) greenhouse stuck it everywhere. Now I need to take apart all the crap they boarded over and take away every last one of those Hotel Ant baits.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016   #26
User 636
Tomatovillian™

I just fixed an ant problem with DE. They invade the house every year and traps and bait didn't work. I dusted all the seams with DE and they are gone. I've dusted the deck and containers and will dust as I need to. It made an amazing difference. I also had something snacking on my seedlings. A DE dusting took care of that as well.
User 636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016   #27
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 636 View Post
I just fixed an ant problem with DE. They invade the house every year and traps and bait didn't work. I dusted all the seams with DE and they are gone. I've dusted the deck and containers and will dust as I need to. It made an amazing difference. I also had something snacking on my seedlings. A DE dusting took care of that as well.
Trying to pinpoint the entry point would be a good thing to do. If they are getting in every year, I'd say you have a vulnerable spot that has been overlooked. What sort of house is it - manufactured home, built on a slab, have a basement, etc. We have a manufactured home and about ten years ago, we had them crawling out of an electric socket wall plate. Turned out there was a huge anthill - and I mean huge about three feet across - under the house. Had to call in the local exterminator to clean that out. But they got'em!!! They also told us, that when you get that many, especially when recurring, inside they are probably in the walls. They went around drilling tiny holes in molding along the floor, under kitchen cabinets, everywhere around the house and then sprayed the insecticide into the holes using a tiny tube inserted into the holes. Never saw them again.

Last edited by Goldie321; April 10, 2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old April 10, 2016   #28
mgk65
Tomatovillian™

I've used borax & sugar in a 1:3 ratio dissolved in hot water to kill ants.

Pour in an old lid with wadded up paper towel. The ants disappeared after a couple of days.

All over the internet.
http://boraxantkiller.com/step-by-step-instructions/
mgk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016   #29
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I've been using duct tape wrapped around my fruit trees about a foot off the ground, wrapped sticky side out and enough wraps to be a good 8-10 inches. I've put Tangle-Trap on the tape as well but they stick to the duct tape pretty good. Those in the tree get stuck coming down and those going up....stick.
Dealing with the nest needed some borax traps and cornmeal and everything i could find i tried...worked.
And then i've read that some ants are not destructive...

I did have my best fruit season ever last year but that was due to favorable weather and following a no fruit year.

Around the home i use DE. And attached some of the Borax traps under the back deck. Placed so the pups don't get in it.

Careful using DE around your pets. Dogs noses are on the ground all day sniffing. Food grade DE is edible but the dust is horrible for your lungs.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016   #30
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

DE is great to deal with slugs as well.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote