Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 11, 2007   #1
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Default Bacterial, fungal, or something else?

I've attached a picture of some of my tomato leaves. It's not the best photo quality so I'll do my best to describe what's going on.

I started noticing a few small dark brown spots with yellow margins on some leaves, a week or two ago. This was only on my Sugary plant; all others were fine. Then after our latest bout of heavy rain, I find grayish areas on many of the leaves of ALL my plants. The leaves quickly turn yellow and the grayish areas become thin and crispy. They are mostly on the lower to mid level leaves, of both my in-ground and container grown plants. None of the fruit show any symptoms, although most are only the size of marbles or ping pong balls so it's early. All plants are mulched and sprayed with Daconil on a 7-10 day schedule. I don't notice any powder or obvious fuzzy fungus on the leaves or stems.

The least affected plant is Marglobe although it's starting to show symptoms, too. The potato plants, which were planted earlier than the tomatoes, and the peppers which were planted at the same time as the tomatoes, don't seem to have any foliar symptons.

Are my plants goners?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02292.jpg (50.5 KB, 63 views)
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #2
duajones
Tomatovillian™

some of the leaves on my wind damaged plants look similiar, makes it hard to tell if you do have a fungal problem. Here is a pic for comparison

Last edited by duajones; April 11, 2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: added pic
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #3
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, Duane. That does look similar from what I can tell.
Old April 11, 2007   #4
CLa
Tomatovillian™

The majority of my plants that were not covered when the ice was falling look much like that. Some darker spots making me think of septoria leaf spot and the browner stuff possible ice damage. Cherokee purple has some more pronounced darker spots, which makes me wonder if it has a case of tomato spotted wilt. Next to it however Flamm has not a single spot.
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2007   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

went by a local nursery today and while I was there, a lady came in with some leaves off of her tomato plants. They looked just like mine do. Employee told them it was from the storm we had recently and said they had seen many like that since the weekend. Some of the lower and mid foliage on my plants look terrible and it makes it hard to read your leaves.
Old April 12, 2007   #6
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

My plants that were exposed to the high 30s on Easter weekend look the same way. I got a call from my friend on Galveston Bay last night and she was worried that her plants' leaves were looking the same way. I'll toss in my vote for the freak cold spell being the cause.
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2007   #7
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately I've got the same stuff on container plants that were brought onto a covered porch that didn't get below 45. But maybe that's all that's affecting the in-ground plants and they'll be able to bounce back.
Old April 12, 2007   #8
duajones
Tomatovillian™

The only container tomato plant I have was also brought into a covered deck and there was no wind although the temp did get into the 30s, it was also effected.