Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 15, 2015   #586
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I just used my VeggiBee. I love it! Thanks for the warning about the tip yellowing, I took off the tip, scrubbed, put it back on. We finally cooled down to 72, but with rainy ivercast stuff. And lots of wind. It hasn't rained for several hours so I wanted to get out there and buzz while I could. I am going to need to spray tomorrow if not so rainy.

Kunosoura- I think Rebel Yell will suit your purposes, it is an extremely vigorous pink PL beefsteak with abundant laterals heavy fruitset of 6-12 ozs, and scrumptious. Disease tolerant, it was one of the last plants still standing and cranking them out. Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, or Girl Girl's Weird Thing might be good choices too. Too bad you dont want a cherry, those make a crazy amount of laterals.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015   #587
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - Glad you liked it and it lived up to the hype.

Kay / Kunosoura - I think Sweet Scarlet hates me; I've gone through 2 packs and either crappy germination or poor seedling. I do have one plant but no tomatoes or flowers. I've started over so many times this season.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015   #588
kunosoura
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I'm certainly not an expert by any stretch but I am always doing experiments including cloning (testing different media)

You are only growing dwarfs right now, correct?

Since you are behind schedule anyway, have you just considered going to Lowes and buy a plant to cut up? The last time I was there they had several OP/heirlooms.

Why does it have to be OP? The best clone I recently created that meets your size criteria is Big Beef (hybrid), NAR (Neves Azorean Red), PBTD.

I didn't get good clones from Garden Gem or Garden Treasure. Both rooted fine; maybe I put them in the sun too soon, but neither did well in the sun.

My Garden Gem is definitely acting determinate and doesn't meet your size criteria.

I will check on the other clones tomorrow (in daylight).

Correct, only growing dwarfs at the moment. They're doing well but their tendency to bush out is considerable! I'm almost thinking that a well-pruned indet. trained upward, with coiling of the vine as it grows, may be more space-efficient for my setup.

It doesn't have to be OP, I guess. The only reason I said that is because I read nonstop about all these wonderful varities that people grow and rave about, and I want a piece of the action. Aside from Sungold I don't think any hybrids get half the attention that the OP varieties get around here. But I'm still new to this game and I am open to learning new stuff...

I was playing on Tatiana's and there is a person from TX who shares some grow notes, which often include whether or not a variety seems to handle the heat/humidity a little more than others. I have 3/4 varities that I am considering, I believe the NAR that you recommend is one of them.

I'll probably order some and plant and just see how things go. Worst case scenario I'll root a few of the zillion growth tips my Rosella Purple is cranking out.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. WIll keep everyone posted.
kunosoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015   #589
kunosoura
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
While I am familiar with a number of F1 varieties that seem to meet you requirements, such as Big Beef and Parks Whopper, I am not familiar with many OPs. I grew Mortgage Lifter and it was fairly productive and certainly tasted good but it is said to be a bit larger than 12 oz. Given my limeted experience I would say Mortgage Lifter.
Good Luck, Larry
Thanks for the response. I'll certainly check into ML. I'll also look in to Big Beef and Parks Whopper. This is helpful!
Old November 15, 2015   #590
kunosoura
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Kunosoura, the hardest part of picking a tomato that meets your specifications is the size. Tomatoes in the 12+ ounce size seem to have more trouble with our heat and humidity than smaller tomatoes.

If you were willing to settle for one in the 8 ounce range I would recommend Arkansas Traveler. That plant is such a workhorse that does not mind our climate and is usually the first and last tomato on my plants that full size tomatoes. Black from Tula has done well for me but not as bullet proof as AT. Sweet Scarlet dwarf produced 8-10 ounce tomatoes and stood up to the heat and humidity too.
Thank you - I'm quickly running out of space now! (common theme on this board it seems)

I'll check into these and will document my progress in a thread.
Old November 15, 2015   #591
kunosoura
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I just used my VeggiBee. I love it! Thanks for the warning about the tip yellowing, I took off the tip, scrubbed, put it back on. We finally cooled down to 72, but with rainy ivercast stuff. And lots of wind. It hasn't rained for several hours so I wanted to get out there and buzz while I could. I am going to need to spray tomorrow if not so rainy.

Kunosoura- I think Rebel Yell will suit your purposes, it is an extremely vigorous pink PL beefsteak with abundant laterals heavy fruitset of 6-12 ozs, and scrumptious. Disease tolerant, it was one of the last plants still standing and cranking them out. Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, or Girl Girl's Weird Thing might be good choices too. Too bad you dont want a cherry, those make a crazy amount of laterals.
This is super advice. I'll def. check out RY. I was considering doing a cherry but I don't want to be weighing and tallying cherry fruit non-stop!

Last edited by kunosoura; November 15, 2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: speeling
Old November 20, 2015   #592
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hey Gang!

Have any of you had your plants tested at an extension office? I was thinking about having 1 tomato plant, 1 pepper plant, and 1 pea plant tested but I looked online and it's $40 each. Does that sound right? The only thing I ever had tested before was soil and back when I did that it was around $7 per sample so the $40 gave me sticker shock... lol.

Larry - did you have yours tested or just show them the plants at the office?

Thanks!
Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #593
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Hey Gang!

Have any of you had your plants tested at an extension office? I was thinking about having 1 tomato plant, 1 pepper plant, and 1 pea plant tested but I looked online and it's $40 each. Does that sound right? The only thing I ever had tested before was soil and back when I did that it was around $7 per sample so the $40 gave me sticker shock... lol.

Thanks!
Ginny
Wow! That is pricey! The master gardeners work the ag extension offices here, and take samples. We do the IDs free.
Old November 20, 2015   #594
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wow! That is pricey! The master gardeners work the ag extension offices here, and take samples. We do the IDs free.
I thought it was pricey too. Maybe I'm finding the wrong link. I will call the county ag extension office and ask them.

http://plantpath.ifas.ufl.edu/media/...C-10.14.15.pdf

Ginny
Old November 20, 2015   #595
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I called the Volusia County Ag Extension office and they said they only test soil.

Ginny
Old November 20, 2015   #596
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

We even quit testing soil becauae it was always same. Too alkaline becauze the state is made of limestone. We do try to identify pests and diseases though. Ginny, contact your local Master Gardeners.
Old November 20, 2015   #597
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We even quit testing soil becauae it was always same. Too alkaline becauze the state is made of limestone. We do try to identify pests and diseases though. Ginny, contact your local Master Gardeners.
Thanks for the info Marsha, but I have all of you to help identify things. I was looking for actual testing in case there is something lurking that isn't as noticeable. But for $120 for three plants I will pass for now and treat for the things I"m pretty sure I have... Fungus gnats, TYLCV, and Grey Mold, a toxic concoction for my peas, peppers, petunias and tomato plants! My impossible garden is finally living up to its name.

Ginny
Old November 20, 2015   #598
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Hey Gang!

Thanks!
Ginny
I took bean leaves, bean pods and bean roots to the Master Gardeners at the extension office and they looked them over. One put a leaf under a microscope and said there were aphids on it and he also said he thought he saw grey mold. The senior person looked at the leaves and beans and said there was a problem with rust. He also pointed out that I had nematode damage on the bean roots. Silly me, I thought they were nitrogen nodules. I was advised to use a fungicide and pesticide. Also suggested to stick to basic bean varieties used in this area such as Contender bush and Kentucky Wonder pole.
All in all I think it was helpful and I will take that advice along with the valuable advice I got at Tomatoville Worst Fall Bean Crop Ever along with my research into disease resistant varieties and try again in the spring.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; November 20, 2015 at 10:12 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2015   #599
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Larry I can't say enough about Kentucky Wonder. I have grown Contender for years mainly because I did not want to have to trellis the beans. I had some fairly good crops but always had issues with pests and disease. I planted Kentucky Wonder this year and am having the best bean crop ever. Because the leaves don't touch the soil so many problems are avoided. I am still harvesting constantly.

If you decide to buy those seeds, I recommend you get them from High Mowing. When you buy the little packets there is hardly enough to plant and shipping is high for the amount you get. High Mowing has free shipping and I bought 1/2 pound which is enough for two seasons.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2015   #600
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

And I forgot to mention it is so much easier to harvest standing up rather than bending over a raised bed!
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote