Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 1, 2015   #1
squirrel789
Tomatovillian™

Default Curly Tops Question

I have noticed that as my tomatoes grow the tops on certain plants seem to be very curly, the vines are tightly coiled like springs in some cases. Some of them straighten out over time, and sometimes the vines straight a bit while the leaves stay kind of curly at the end. I was wondering if this was normal?

Many of the lower leaves on these plants are also curled downward, not so much at the edges but at the tips mostly. Luckily I've had no spots, yellowing or dead leaves anywhere yet. I attributed the curling of the lower/middle leaves to sucking-type pests and I try to manually remove all the aphids and white flies I can find with bright outdoor lights and a good flashlight every couple of nights. I've also found (and killed) just a couple thrips (literally 2), a mealy bug or two, and quite a few gnats. I can get outside into the garden usually every couple of nights and I try to check all the branches over very thoroughly. I also have been using Safer insecticidal soap if it's been longer than usual since I was able to go pest hunting manually. Many of the lower and middle leaves are normal and healthy looking on the same plants, but there plenty of the slightly curled ones - always downward, especially at the ends of the branches.

The plants have been blossoming pretty well lately, and fruit is finally just starting to set although it all seems behind for this time of year. I'm guessing that was thanks to all the rainy weather. It's hard too see in the photo, but the blossoms and little green toms are there in foliage.

I have complained here multiple times about all the rain we've had so far this summer, but things have dried out pretty well now, and my container mix (2-2-1 compost, peat and course vermiculite) doesn't seem too wet anymore. I've used the dowel rod and the finger tests and it seems pretty consistently moist, not soaked at the bottom like it was just after all the rain. We've have plenty of sun and reasonable temps (mid 80's to low 90's) for the past week and a half, so I didn't think it was an over watering issue. Then again, that's why I'm asking

I've been laying off the watering since it didn't look like they needed it yet, but I have used some TTF mixed as directed (1 Tbsp per gallon) once since the rains stopped just to help put some of the nutrients back in that might have washed out with the rain. The container volume is 170 gallons, and the mix holds moisture well (too well after lots of rain), so I didn't think the curling was from a lack of watering and the plants aren't droopy or wilted looking IMO.

I apologize if the nighttime lighting makes the pics below a little hard to see. I will have time in a day or two to take some daytime pics, if that would be more helpful. I did include an evening pic at the bottom of the whole trough taken last week (I know it's really crowded - newbie mistake). You will probably notice the downward curling on many of the leaves on that pic and in the background of the nighttime close-ups.

Any thoughts on if this is normal, a deficiency of some kind, a watering issue, or perhaps something more serious?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 019c.jpg (246.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 021c.jpg (364.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 032c.jpg (340.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 034c.jpg (422.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 040c.jpg (364.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 010c.jpg (575.1 KB, 57 views)
squirrel789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I see "curly tops" on quite a few, especially pastes with what's referred to as "wispy foliage." They look like nice, healthy plants to me!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote