Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 29, 2015   #1
Slg Garden
Tomatovillian™

Default another "what's wrong" question

The Master Gardner at my community garden couldn't help and the leaves degraded too much by the time they'd sent them to the county extension office. So, any ideas? These are just on the lower leaves on my two Cosmonaut Volkovs. The plants seem super healthy with baby fruit and lots of flowers. No other plants seem to be affected. I've removed all the yellowing leaves and sprayed with Neem oil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato leaf CV.jpg (88.1 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato leaf CV2.jpg (67.0 KB, 108 views)
Slg Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Removing all the infected leaves and spraying with Neem was perfect. That is early blight, and its a fungal disease. I prefer copper spray, but Neem should do the trick.
Best to get on a regular preventive spray regimen, every 7-10 days, and also right after a heavy rain.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #3
Slg Garden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I was hoping it was a nutrient deficiency.
Old June 29, 2015   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I can't tell what that is, the pics are too small. It could be EB if there are brown lesions with a concentric circle pattern.

Look at Cornell's Tomato gallery site and see if anything looks familiar.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #5
Slg Garden
Tomatovillian™

OK, I'll make the pix larger and add another one. I couldn't find any matches on the Cornell site. That was the first place I checked (love that site!). It starts with a bright yellowing of the leaves on the edges and then a little brown area develops. It's not concentric circles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato leaf CV2.jpg (174.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato leaf CV3.jpg (272.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato leaf CV.jpg (657.6 KB, 87 views)
Old June 30, 2015   #6
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Powdery Mildew is the only thing I can think of that it resembles.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #7
Slg Garden
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, that link looks pretty close. Mine's not powdery, but it seems that there are different strains. Unless it's a nutrient or watering issue, it may not matter what it is if the treatment is the same for multiple issues. I'm hoping that removing the leaves and spraying with Neem oil will keep it under control. Thanks for your help!
Old June 30, 2015   #8
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Sure looks like Early Blight to me. You can see the classic bullseye spotting on the big leaf on the right side of this last pic. Look at the spots just below the double string.

But regardless the treatment is the same - remove all the affected leaves and dispose of them away from the garden and spray with fungicide of your choice.

Powdery Mildew is usually white spots, Downey Mildew is yellow in color but in more of a shotgun pattern.

As for nutrients issues - the only thing that might fit would be excess nitrogen leading to leaf tip burn but the rest of the plants in the pics look fine and healthy. Leaf tip burn usually shows up in the new top growth not the older growth.

Dave
Old June 30, 2015   #9
Granny Bee
Tomatovillian™

I'm a newbie but have grown lots of tomatoes. It may be early blight, although the characteristic bull's eye isn't that obvious to me. If it were here, I'd say it's more likely Septoria leaf spot. Both early blight and Septoria are fungal; wet weather exacerbates the problem. Doesn't look too bad, though, more like it's just starting out. Here, if I want tomatoes at all, I have to use an anti-fungal spray religiously on a schedule of every 2 weeks and after it rains. The spraying covers a host of diseases. I use an organic one.
Granny Bee is offline   Reply With Quote