Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 29, 2015   #16
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I think birds actually like hot peppers.
Actually, birds can't smell or taste (with a few exceptions - vultures, seabirds, parrots, kiwis): http://www.birdsandblooms.com/birdin...s-smell-taste/
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #17
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I think they rely on sight to get your tomatoes. They seem mostly attracted to bright red/orange tomatoes. I've never lost a green when ripe to birds and very rarely a brown/purple tomato. When I put up shade cloth, the birds quit eating then too, but not the squirrels. I've only lost 2 to birds this year and that was when I was out of town and my dear mother was trying to wait until the tomatoes were 100% ripe on the vine to pick them. Picking at blush eliminates birds and squirrels (not rats though). Good luck.

One other thing - when you pick fully ripened on the vine, the shelf life of the tomato is less in my experience. I think a picked at blush tomato holds much longer than the extra 3-4 days it would have taken to get it from blush to fully ripe.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #18
TexasTim
Tomatovillian™

The birds don't care about water sources. They just like the tomatoes. I've had standing water from the persistent rain all season.
Mockingbirds and cardinals peck mine and the young ones are fast learners.
As previously stated, pick at first blush.
TexasTim is offline   Reply With Quote