Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 28, 2015   #1
Glen Bryan
Tomatovillian™

Default NEEM on mites

Dang, spotted spider mites in the greenhouse I'm an old ag guy so I went to look for something potent. The girl at the garden store swore that Neem oil was affective, I've never really went for organic stuff but decided to give it since I've seen it mentioned here and I've got peppers that are almost ready . I sprayed them down good and now I'm leaving for a few days we'll see what they look like when I come back I do have high hopes. How often should I spray?

Last edited by Glen Bryan; June 28, 2015 at 12:08 PM.
Glen Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #2
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Hey Glen,
I sprayed a week or so ago (neem), and a few days later I released predator mites to get the stragglers. While the neem certainly slowed them down, it didn't knock them out. Thankfully, for every leaf that still has mites, I see predator mites feeding on them; seems to be keeping them under control.. So I guess the answer is - while the neem will help to control them, you're going to want to follow up with a few more treatments, or a beneficial predator release..
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #3
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Agree it can slow them down - but then so can plain old soapy water spray or just removing the majority of them by hand - but it won't eliminate them and if it is a major infestation of them and they are left un-monitored for a few days you may find they are worse when you return.

Neem can be sprayed as often as daily but isn't recommended as the damage it can do to the plant leaves when spraying that often may exceed the damage done by the mites. Early AM spraying only, never in the direct sun and never in the heat of the day and avoid drenching the plant - aim for the mites.

Dave

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7405.html