Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 9, 2015   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default worm in the stem

Couldn't find any information in search so pardon me in advance.

Problem: The top half of one plant out of thirty-five began wilting. Finally we had some sun and warmth so I thought it was finally lack of water. This morning after watering last night it was still wilty.

Checked closely and saw a small hole in the stem where the wilt started. The stem was hollow. Pulled the plant and split the stem and found a worm inside.

In my anger I smashed the worm before taking a photo.

What worm is like a borer and what fixes it and do I worry about the other 34? I still had a replacement for the one but don't have that many left.

Thanks
Paul
Old June 9, 2015   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Just to clarify, this is a tomato plant?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #3
henry
Tomatovillian™

Wonder if it is the Stalk borer?
Stalk Borer
The stalk borer is an insect pest that attacks a wide variety of plants including tomatoes. The larva (caterpillar) bores into the stem and tunnels inside the stalk. (The entrance hole is small and often difficult to locate). Affected plants wilt and often die. However, stalk borer damaged plants that are given good care may survive. The stalk borer is a purple and cream striped caterpillar with a solid purple band around its body 1/3 of the way back from its head. It is an early season pest that moves from tall grassy weeds and occasionally attacks tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers in the vegetable garden. An individual stalk borer may damage more than 1 tomato plant. The adult is an inconspicuous grayish brown moth. Tomato plants that die should be pulled and destroyed. The destruction of the plants may also kill the stalk borer. Cutting or mowing tall weedy areas around vegetable gardens may also help control the pest. Stalk borers cannot be effectively controlled with insecticides.
Old June 9, 2015   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Yes, this is on a tomato, didn't make that clear did I. And it certainly must have been a stalk borer. Thanks. No more yet, crossing fingers.
Old June 9, 2015   #5
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Yes, this is on a tomato, didn't make that clear did I. And it certainly must have been a stalk borer. Thanks. No more yet, crossing fingers.
Kind of a relief (assuming this is somewhat rare), I was worried that I was going to learn that squash vine borers were now going after tomatoes.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

First time for me after many hundreds of plants and 40 years. Still no other victims, thanks be.
Old June 11, 2015   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
First time for me after many hundreds of plants and 40 years. Still no other victims, thanks be.
I have had them twice. The first time was during my year of being totally organic and it cost me quite a few plants. They also attacked the fruit even the smallest greenies had tiny holes in them. They got in every fruit and stem in about half my tomato patch ruining every one of them. The worms I saw were like very thin loopers similar to pickle worms that bore into cucumbers and squash every year. The second time as soon as I saw the first hole in a stem I sprayed the whole tomato patch with Sevin and only lost the one stem and a few fruits but no plants.

I'm losing a tomato or two every day to worms right now but they are tomato fruit worms, horn worms and army worms. I am trying to keep BT on them but the rain the last few days has made that a waste of time and money. If I see the small looper type of stem borer I will resort to Sevin because it works on them. If you see more holes then don't wait too long to take care of the problem or it could get out of hand like it did for me about 10 years ago.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #8
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the information, Bill. That is why it is important to spend a little time in the garden looking things over. Sometimes after they are in the ground I pay less attention until harvest. Not this year.
Old June 28, 2015   #9
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

The stalk borer struck again. This time about 30 feet away from the first plant on a Heshpole. This time it was fatal. The worm had bored down to the base of the stem. Rouged it out, squashed the borer and replanted with a spare for some reason I had not composted yet.