Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 24, 2015   #1
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Default Death of Black Krim

Well folks, she's toast.

Not sure what this is, it was mentioned that perhaps it was russet mites and I thought it was but this has happened way too quick...Looks like it but the pathology seems to point to disease. This may be the first to fall of my small crop...Was thinking about picking the fruit on her and trying to ripen in a bag *but*...not sure I want to chance ingesting whatever this is. Looking around the net, this may be "Ralstonia solanacearum".

The leaves are literally crisping up over night and falling off starting from the stem and working out, from the bottom up. Well, you can't be good at something unless you are able to overcome setbacks...and there's no learning on Easy Street.

You may want to disinfect your monitor after viewing....I'll post autopsy pictures after she bagged and tagged. Sad, had high hopes....

*Wife just got home and said "wait to see what the experts have to say before you start ripping out plants and maybe you can still eat the fruit."....So here I wait for the inevitable.*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150624_180623.jpg (177.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150624_180631.jpg (149.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150624_180645.jpg (158.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150624_180743.jpg (149.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150624_180759.jpg (132.0 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by Kikaida; June 24, 2015 at 11:14 PM.
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

You could have Gray Mold but I can't really see enough of the leaves to tell one way or the other. I do know from experience that Black Krim is very susceptible to GM. Gray Mold typically starts lower on the plant and on the leaves near the center of the plant where it is shadier with less air flow. It will continue to move up the plant unless it is slowed or stopped. The only thing I have found that works to stop it is the diluted bleach spray and it usually needs repeated use to keep the GM at bay. You could try it and see what affect it has on the plant. If it does nothing then you are probably looking at a pest or nutrient issue unless you have soil borne diseases to contend with. If on the other hand 24 hours after you use the bleach spray many of the lower leaves shrivel up then you need to go ahead and remove all those damaged leaves. Then respray with the bleach spray and followup with a copper spray. Then keep an eye out for any shriveled leaves and remove them. This regimen will usually get Gray Mold under control but be on the alert for it to return and if it does repeat the treatment.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #3
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Thanks b54red! All the ladies got doused with Neem last night for thrips and other 'no-see-ums' and I mean soaked! Not seeing anything fuzzy that would indicate mold. What I fear is my three fold rooky mistake.
1. I was a cheapskate and cut the bagged soil with some native soil
2. I inserted my support stakes after the plants had already established some thereby damaging some roots
3. Over watered like a moron

I may take a cutting tonight and do the clear water ooze test. Didn't think growing would be so hard....or am I just making it that way?
Old June 26, 2015   #4
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaida View Post
Thanks b54red! All the ladies got doused with Neem last night for thrips and other 'no-see-ums' and I mean soaked! Not seeing anything fuzzy that would indicate mold. What I fear is my three fold rooky mistake.
1. I was a cheapskate and cut the bagged soil with some native soil
2. I inserted my support stakes after the plants had already established some thereby damaging some roots
3. Over watered like a moron

I may take a cutting tonight and do the clear water ooze test. Didn't think growing would be so hard....or am I just making it that way?

Thats what we all do Kikaida. We learn as we go.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #5
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Don't worry, you can start another batch, that's the cool part about southern CA.

Try not to get too emotionally attached to the plants (in the beginning it's hard), keep in mind your tomato real estate is valuable and if they're not producing for whatever reason, yank 'em and put some fresh ones in their place.

Those first few clusters are the best ones anyway.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #6
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Try b54red's idea before you pull it saved my Tim's black ruffles. I am spraying now every week unless it rains then I spray everything.
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #7
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick update, I found a flopped over stem yesterday due to my poor staking efforts...I cut it and put a chunk of the stem in water. No white ooze. Also, carful dissection showed a healthy pith with no streaking anywhere.
-
There's been no progression of this thing since this post...this after a heavy soaking with neem.
-
Thanks for the posts and advice everyone.
Old June 26, 2015   #8
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

If you have a 30x magnifying glass, you can check for Tomato Russet Mites. The bronzing on the stem is a sign.

Be sure to spray the underside of the leaves.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #9
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Thanks VC Scott for the help, really appreciate it. Only have a 10x loop...but gallons of neem! I even warm it up for them so they don't get a chill.