Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 25, 2015   #1
squirrel789
Tomatovillian™

Default Some weird leaves... Pest damage or signs of something worse?

I have been finding a few leaves on my tomato plants with some weird spots lately, but it doesn't look like many of the more advanced disease pictures I have seen here or on the internet. I wondered if anyone would be willing to chime in and give their opinion on whether this is some pest damage, or if I should start some preventative fungal/disease treatments? I have only found these spots on a very few number of otherwise healthy-looking leaves, with no major yellowing or dying leaves so far.

Just to give some background:
Up until a few days ago, we had constant rain, to the point of some serious local flooding. It's been in the low 90's and sunny/steamy since then, and I have been careful to maintain adequate pruning (and sanitation with an isopropyl alcohol dilution on my clippers between plants) to maintain good airflow and to help protect the plants from any potential fungus/pathogens. The way the tomato garden is currently situated, I've been trying to be careful about tying some of the branches to the support system and not letting the foliage branches touch each other to help keep them as dry as possible with the high humidity we've had lately.

Since my gardens are in very large containers on my patio, I go pest hunt almost every night under bright lights and with a very bright flashlight. I have few enough plants that due to space restrictions I keep them pruned to 2 vines per plant. That means I try to examine every branch each night and haven't found anything too out of the ordinary so far, except these leaves that exhibit some damage that may not be just chewing insects.

Also included of some pics of the unknown pests I don't recognize. I usually find some tiny green aphids and a few white flies, as well as some unknowns that I can't always get pictures of. Mostly I find small spiders, which I leave unharmed, and the occasional ladybug or lacewing. The last 2 pics are of a larger bug I found for the first time tonight skulking around on my cukes.

If any of these pics look particularly troubling, or like signs of a potentially serious pest/fungal/viral problem, I would very much appreciate anyone's opinions!

As always, thanks to all who respond!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (18)c.jpg (360.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (20)c.jpg (438.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (24)c.jpg (469.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (25)c.jpg (350.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (33)c.jpg (536.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (21)c.jpg (273.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (22)c.jpg (301.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (23)c.jpg (252.8 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by squirrel789; June 25, 2015 at 06:05 AM. Reason: typos
squirrel789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Insect damage from something that scrapes and chews, and I see a lovely assasin bug or 2 already on good guy patrol.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #3
squirrel789
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Insect damage from something that scrapes and chews, and I see a lovely assasin bug or 2 already on good guy patrol.
Thanks Ginger!

Your post is encouraging ! While a little pest damage isn't exactly good, it's better than the beginning signs of a fungus! I've been trying to help a friend identify a really bad fungal issue that is decimating his tomato plants (turned out to be Septoria leaf spot), and I think looking at all those horrible late-stage photo's of dying plants got me a little paranoid

I have been meticulous about not letting my crowded container get too jungle-ish and I try quite hard not to let the foliage branches touch each other, so I'm glad to hear that it might be paying off (knock on wood)

Thanks so much for the reply!

I should receive a magnifying lens today that I ordered, so I will be on the lookout for thrips, as I suspect they are my culprit. I have noticed (and squished) a couple of really tiny insects lately that might match the description, and I saw two or three small dark deposits that looked like pictures of their droppings while on my last nightly pest hunt. I just started seeing signs so hopefully I can stay ahead of the curve with these insects, as I understand they are vectors for TSWV.

I try not to use anything more toxic than DE on the mulch/mix and insecticidal soap on the foliage, if possible. Honestly, I usually just wear disposable gloves and manually remove/squish whatever I find. Would a combination of these be an effective enough strategy to control these pests?

I also have a pyrethrin and canola oil spray I can use if necessary, but I'd rather use it as a last resort as I've read it can be very harmful to my cat (not so bad for dogs though, from what I understand).

Any advice is always appreciated!
squirrel789 is offline   Reply With Quote