Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 15, 2015   #1
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Default Question about Tabacco tree and growing tomatoes

I have 2 Tobacco Glauca trees growing in my backyard. Do they have any negative effects on tomato plants? I can't seem to grow tomato plants since I moved here last year. I asked before and the best answer was, I believe was, weed killer drift from neighbors. I took it as a really bad year for growing and gave up. This year I started way too many and now I have just 5 plants. The leaves seem to have a bluish color to them after they fall off, just like the leaves from the tobacco trees in my yard when they fall off the tree. I can't find any info. Maybe I'm not asking right. I'll see if I can get a photo of them and post in a bit. TY
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #2
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Many years ago I asked the local County Extension about the feasibility of growing ornamental tobacco on one end of my yard well away from the tomatoes and peppers. The answer was, basically, don't do it. Tomatoes and tobacco don't belong anywhere near each other.

There are tomato varieties that are TMV resistant (not proof).

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #3
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Hmmmm...wonder if out front is far enough. Thanks Bill
Old June 17, 2015   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I agree too. I wouldn't do it. People can smoke and handle pepper and tomato plants all day and not have it affect the plants. I think it is because the tobacco in cigs is specially treated now a days not like in the past years.

I have several types of tobacco seed that is an heirloom and I was going to plant and see what it was like and save seed, but they won't get planted this year as I would not trust my peppers and tomatoes to get infected. No way am I going to take a chance.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #5
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Well before it clicked in my head the other day, I had started 40 different plants. They did great. Now I have only 5 plants left and they don't look too good. I have about 30 or so pepper plants in same area and they are doing great. I have to research this more. It's very interesting.
Old June 18, 2015   #6
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

http://www.pennandcordsgarden.com/pe...es-and-tobacco
Here's a little of what I've found about the subject. Not too much out there but I do believe it is my problem. I want tomatoes dang it! Guess I'll go buy a couple and set them out front. gosh darnoodley trees! They sprout everywhere also...UGH!