Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old September 24, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
Based on where you live, your soil is alkaline. I would not add limestone, chalk, or any other alkaline rock. Check out dirtdoctor.com.
Yes, Alkaline. In our main garden, we use a meter that shows it to be at 6.8 PH. However, there are areas outside the garden with no soil amendments that I have tested at 5.5 PH

I'm going to send in a soil sample to Texas A&M to have it correctly tested this Fall.

Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do. Thanks for all the replies everyone.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2014   #2
moray-eel-bite
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Yes, Alkaline. In our main garden, we use a meter that shows it to be at 6.8 PH. However, there are areas outside the garden with no soil amendments that I have tested at 5.5 PH

I'm going to send in a soil sample to Texas A&M to have it correctly tested this Fall.

Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do. Thanks for all the replies everyone.
6.8 and 5.5 are actually slightly acidic, not alkaline. The 5.5 areas could use adjustment for most veggies but a Texas a&m test is where I'd start before monkeying.
moray-eel-bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2014   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray-eel-bite View Post
6.8 and 5.5 are actually slightly acidic, not alkaline. The 5.5 areas could use adjustment for most veggies but a Texas a&m test is where I'd start before monkeying.
You are right. I meant acidic.

Having to take meds for pain stinks.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote