Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 4, 2014   #1
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I wasn't aware that Fusarium was a problem in Louisiana unless Charlie lives in the northern part of the state.

Charlie, did your leaves look like this:

Fusarium

or this:

Early Blight

If it's the latter, then early application of Daconil or other fungal preventative, as well as a thick application of mulch (wheat straw or coastal hay), plus use of soaker hoses to water rather than sprinklers or a watering wand will all keep the problem under control.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #2
CharlieM
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I wasn't aware that Fusarium was a problem in Louisiana unless Charlie lives in the northern part of the state.

Charlie, did your leaves look like this:

Fusarium

or this:

Early Blight

If it's the latter, then early application of Daconil or other fungal preventative, as well as a thick application of mulch (wheat straw or coastal hay), plus use of soaker hoses to water rather than sprinklers or a watering wand will all keep the problem under control.
The leaves titled "Early Blight" resemble my leaves. Of course the later into the summer it gets, the leaves will loose all of the green color and will be yellow and brown like in the pic. The top pic is not close enough to see the leaves good but my stalks do not look like those in the pic.

By the way we live in north west Louisiana.

I appreciate you taking time to offer your advice.

Charlie
CharlieM is offline   Reply With Quote