Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2013   #16
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliJez View Post
Lindsey

If as an example you decide to plant 2 toms per bed throughout your 28 beds, then in fact plant 2 of whatever variety in the 25 and plant 1, 2, and 4 of the same variety in the 3 selected trial beds.

Jeremy

Yeah I could so that for sure. I consider them trials in a way anyway, because I am always trying new tomatoes to see how they grow for me and if we like them. I don't understand the above quote though. Lost me a bit.

Are you saying plant in the trial beds 1, 2 & 3
bed 1 - 1 tomato
bed 2 - 2 tomatoes
bed 3- 4 tomatoes

and see how it goes make notes and that sort of thing?

If it is what you are saying, should I keep them all the same tomato or different ones? I think its a great suggestion just need a little clarification.

Lindsey

I think 28 tomato beds is a lot too- I feel like after 8 years of practice and all these special raised beds, I should be a pro by now. I feel like such an ameteur when it comes to nightshades. BUT they are my favorites!!!!
Old July 12, 2013   #17
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

i have 6'x3' beds and this year I planted 4 ind and 2 det in the bed. It was far to much. Last year I planted 4 plants in the 6'x3' and it was just right. Next year I'll only do 4 per box.

In your case I would probably plant 2 per box and then do companion planting with Basil to attract some beneficials.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #18
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
Well Kath, I don't know anything about pruning to one stem- so this would be a first. What it really comes down to, is I want to grow great tomatoes, great eating quality. But in my new homes state of Virginia- I am having difficulty growing tomatoes period. I am trying to get ahead of the game for next year so I can have tomatoes. I'll do whatever I need to do to grow better tomatoes- just lacking the know how in this new hot-humid-wet environment. I know all my neighbors/farmers/local growers are having a heck of a time too this year, but they are still growing some. I am real curious to learn about your method though, it seems like you have it down to a working system.

I was planning on builind 28 squares. Still need more you think?
Sorry, Lindsey, but I really can't say that I have a system yet. I've just been cramming in as many tomato varieties as possible in the past 4 years to find our faves and getting lots of ideas for different ways to do it from the much more experienced here at the 'ville. I think it involves a lot of personal trial and error for most of us to find what works the best for our budget, lifestyle, climate, soil and for the kind of tomatoes we decide to grow.

I've never grown in 4' x 4' squares but once you've decided how many plants you plan to grow in each square you'll know how many to build, no? I also don't grow plants just for canning so I have no idea how many plants of what type you'll need to make 52 pints.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote