Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old October 11, 2011   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default Wow, why are the flowers so enthused?

Not that I'm complaining, but wow - all of a sudden, my flowers have just exploded with blooms.

Things like Morning Glories, Cosmos, Fuschias, etc. that have just cruised along this summer have all of a sudden gone absolutely crazy. I haven't watered them more or anything special really, but my morning glories particularly are absolutely covered with blooms, and making more like crazy.

I wish I know what got them so inspired, so I could do whatever it is all summer next year!
Old October 11, 2011   #2
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

I know we are pretty close so we definitely experience the same weather.

Most of my front Marigolds are long gone. However, I do have one patch of marigolds in a partially shaded corner that are doing very well and budding left and right.

My Four O'Clocks got damaged(bent over) during one of our past major storms and have never really gotten upright again. They are on their last legs....no new growth, looking sad.

Clematis, last legs.....
Petunias, gone!

Roses, still getting some beautiful flowers. Been my best year ever for roses and they are still producing fairly strong.

Side note, my potted Thai peppers are flowering and producing like crazy. Been a nice, warm Indian Summer these past few weeks. Wish my tomatoes would have held on a little longer.
Old October 11, 2011   #3
nicky
Tomatovillian™

My Morning Glories and Cosmos are doing the same! The Cosmos stems are about 1.5-2" thick & they are covered in blooms. The Morning Glories have at least tripled in size over the last couple of weeks. Morning Glories always do better for me when the days are warm/hot and the nights are chilly. I don't know how you could duplicate that in mid summer though!
Cheers
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2011   #4
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Opps!
Forgot to mention that when I have been walking through the neighborhood, I have noticed some beautiful Morning Glorys. Conditions must be right!
Old October 11, 2011   #5
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Well, I guess those morning glories and others will just do their thing when they feel like it. I certainly am enjoying them though - such a beautiful blue color. And the cosmos in front of them make a pretty contrast.
Old October 11, 2011   #6
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

My marigolds have just exploded, the zinnias are done but tithonia finally took off and is covered in migrating monarchs - so beautiful to see. The morning glories are drawing all kinds of people from the neighborhood - they are beautiful but WAY too aggressive and almost impossible to control. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2011   #7
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I have plenty of room, so the morning glories are welcome to run wild - I just love looking at them.
Old October 12, 2011   #8
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by piegirl View Post
- they are beautiful but WAY too aggressive and almost impossible to control. piegirl
That's why I have always stayed away from them.
I never knew much about Humingbird vines and planted one near our house. That was like the plant from outerspace, growing under siding and underneath roof shingles. That thing is finally gone!

No more overly aggresive plants. I have to watch the grapes and clemaits the way it is now.... Not enough room!
Old October 12, 2011   #9
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Sigh, I have all sorts of room, but not much sun. It's always something...
Old October 12, 2011   #10
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Tam, I don't have a lot of sun either, so I feel your pain. My MG on one side (the area that gets some shade) have pretty much died out but this morning there was ONE LONE Flower. The sunny ones are blooming like crazy. My marigolds are still going strong although the leaves are turning reddish. Petunias are gone, some other flowers are still going strong, but the perennials are dying. I think anything setting seed is exploding because somewhere deep inside, it knows it's almost a gonner so it's rushing to put out seeds .

Hyacinth Bean Vine went nuts last week with flowers, already making pods for next year.
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote