Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 5, 2011   #1
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Default Squash plant types

So....
I have planted many different types of squash this year. I have many that are vining, and many that are just bushy.
The question I have is this:
Are all Vining Squash winter type squash, and are all bush type squash (so far all zucchinni, and yellow squash are like this, and one that I can not identify, as I lost the tag) Summer squash?
I have a great many winter type squash growing on vertical surfaces, and some are turning from green to orange. When do I pick them? How do you know when winter squash are ready to be picked?
Thanks!
Sammie
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2011   #2
dagrainmaka
Tomatovillian™

The fact that no one answered this is not very encouraging as far as this site goes. I don't know anything about winter squash but it seems like someone on here would. Or maybe not.
dagrainmaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2011   #3
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Summer squash I can answer some of your questions but no clue on the winter varieties as I just do not ever grow them.

I can tell you that yes all summer squash are of a bush type and do not crawl or spread like winter squash.

Though any pepo squash can get crossed in the garden pretty easily so if you grow the following you might not get true seeds if you are trying to save seeds:

The species Cucurbita pepo is a cultivated plant of the genus Cucurbita. It includes varieties of squash, gourd, and pumpkin.

Acorn squash
Delicata squash
Dodi marrow, grown in South Asia
Gem squash
Heart of gold squash
Pattypan squash
Some types of Pumpkin
Spaghetti squash
Sweet dumpling squash
Yellow crookneck squash
Yellow summer squash
Zucchini

Sorry again that I can not really help on the winter types.
Old July 16, 2011   #4
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Sammie,

I am not an expert in squash, but I had a couple of winter squash varieties that had bushy growing habit. Having said that, all the bushy plants were of a type of C.pepo, which could be both summer and winter squash.

So perhaps it would be more accurate to state that C.pepo type of squash can be bush or vine, depending on a variety.

I have not seen bush types among the C.moschata or C.maxima squashes, but I'd let experts to comment on whether these exist or not.

I typically pick winter squashes a couple of weeks before frost. I think they are generally ready to pick when their skin is hard and cannot be easily scratched by a fingernail.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; July 16, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2011   #5
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Sammie,

So perhaps it would be more accurate to state that C.pepo type of squash can be bush or vine, depending on a variety.

Tania
That is probably true, though squash and zucchinis are as far as I have ever seen always a bush variety
Old July 16, 2011   #6
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for your help.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2011   #7
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

There are are several vining and bush types in both categories, winter and summer.

Tromboncino is an example of a vining summer squash.

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1100/220

Burpee's Butterbush is an example of a bush winter squash.

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/squ...rod000932.html

Both are Cucurbita Moschata.

Marty

Last edited by DiggingDogFarm; July 16, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2011   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post

Burpee's Bush Butternut is an example of a bush winter squash.

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/squ...rod000932.html

Both are Cucurbita Moschata.

Marty
Just to avoid any confusion for those who have yet to grow this great squash, Burpee Butterbush Butternut doesn't have a bush shape like the summer squashes. It sends out vines, like other butternut squashes, but they only get to about 5' in length, as opposed to 10' or longer which you might expect from Waltham or other butternuts. I admire its constraint in the garden and it can be trellised quite easily. The fruits are smaller and great for 1 or 2 people and the taste can't be beat. It stores as well as any I've ever grown- we're still eating them in April and the insides aren't pithy yet.

I'm no winter squash expert as we only grow butternuts, but the stems are completely brown where they attach to the fruits and all the greenish coloring has turned to some shade of tan/brown when butternuts are ready to pick.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2011   #9
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Just to avoid any confusion for those who have yet to grow this great squash, Burpee Butterbush Butternut doesn't have a bush shape like the summer squashes. It sends out vines, like other butternut squashes, but they only get to about 5' in length, as opposed to 10' or longer which you might expect from Waltham or other butternuts. I admire its constraint in the garden and it can be trellised quite easily. The fruits are smaller and great for 1 or 2 people and the taste can't be beat. It stores as well as any I've ever grown- we're still eating them in April and the insides aren't pithy yet.
Yes, probably more a semi-bush.
Not a bad squash (good flavor), but the fruits were not very uniform for me, which is what I need for market sales.

Table Gold is another example of a bush winter squash.

http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-p-z/...rn-squash.html

~Marty
Old July 16, 2011   #10
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Sammie,summer squash do come in vining varieties although there are not many, there is also a couple that grow upright with a stem, winter squash come in bush, semi bush and vining types.

I am a squash grower of all types , for many years. I will help if I can.

As Tania said, we pick shortly befoer the frost , some of the longer growing ones need all the time you can give them, however that may not be the same in different parts of the US.

Winter squash will only store well after fully mature and cured. |If weather permits this is best accomplished on the vine but they can be pulled a little early if frost is likely and cured off the vine if the fruit is almost there.

To recognise them mature on the vine..

The finger nail test as Tania said is a good indicator, the nail should leave no mark, other things to look for are a change in the tind colour, the rinds also become dull . The stems start to go brown and the plant will begin to die off. If mildew is a problem in your area this will mean the fruit will not mature much beyond the mildew getting a hold so I take them off the vine and cure them in a warm place, outside is best if not roaring hot but it can be done indoors. I also wipe them down with a mild solution of bleach and water. Cure them warm and store them cool, not on concrete and not where they will get frozen, leave a handle on them wherever possible and don't carry them by it. Check them in store periodically.

Sumnmer squash on the other hand need to be picked before maturity, this keeps the plant producing and they are at their best when small and the skin is shiny.

There are a few squash which are dual purpose, they can be picked as young ones or left to mature and they will store. The South African Rolet aka Gem is one of those. It has a very hard rind.Trombocino is another one, it is a good summer squash but will store if left to fully mature and it is a vining one. Both the two mentioned have a denser texture than most summer suqash.

I hope this helps , bit brief , get back if you need any more help.

It is possible to tell which family the one you have lost the label off belongs to as the leaves and stems are different withing the family..but it won't help identify the plant.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2011   #11
stephaniejross
Tomatovillian™

Default warty delicata squash?

Hello, everyone. I planted delicata squash this year and they are all very warty like a hubbard. Is this normal?
stephaniejross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2011   #12
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

No, not at all, they should be long oval shape , cream rind with green striped and no wartiness at all.

What is the plant like, how many fruit are growing and what colour and shape exactly are they

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote