Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 21, 2010   #16
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Just an update here. I will post some pictures soon. I have found a wonderful pink cherry with a small nipple at the bottom of the fruit in the #2 RL plant and a really good pink beefsteak in #2 PL plant. Both are good but the cherry is a 12 out of 10! The cherry tastes much like Sun Sugar but with an explosion of savory tomato taste as well. I will be limited next year on which f1's to pursue, but I will for sure be growing out a few of these cherries.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011   #17
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

2011 update. RL#3 turned out to be a pink heart that was the best tasting of them all. So I have decided to pursue this one with my limited space. I'm growing 2 RL and 2 PL selections from the f2 seed. Below are some pictures of the fruit showing/shaping up on all 4 plants. The surprising thing to me is at least 3 out of 4 of the fruit appear to be hearts with one in question.

PL #1 selection, questionable heart shape

PL #2 no question a heart

RL selections

Damon
Old May 13, 2011   #18
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Mmmmm.. white strawberries.

Two years ago I wanted to make two crosses to a specific variety, but winter crossing in the greenhouse is hit and miss sometimes.

One day I had one perfect flower of my variety to use as the female parent. Both of the other varieties had flowers shedding pollen. So, I used Damon's approach and pollinated with two pollen parents.

In the F1s it was obvious which pollen parent went with each specific F1. So it wasn't a mess. I just had two sets of F1s that were fairly easy to identify by phenotype. It sounds like Damon just has a bunch of F1s but that they all are fairly identifiable. He just crossed efficiently.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2011   #19
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Here is an update. I'm sure the two RL plants are hearts but cant be for sure about the two PL. I know weather can have great affect on fruit formation and Spring here has been whacky for the most part so I will have to wait and see. None have blush yet but they are getting close.

PL selections

RL selections

Damon
Old June 20, 2011   #20
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Gorgeous!!! They look like they're going to be DELICIOUS, lol!!!
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2011   #21
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Ha ha ha, I hope so! Its early but everything thats ripened thus far has been mealy and mushy, hopefully these guys wont be, lol.

Damon