Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 15, 2010   #16
kerino1
Tomatovillian™

chalstonsc,
thank you for the very informative post, and the encouragement - I will cut this summer with confidence!!

Best of luck to you this year as well. Here's wishing you cooperative warmth and tame sunshine.

Kerino
kerino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2010   #17
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I think instead of using those 'emergency blankets' for shading, I'd look for something more like the screen mesh tarps also known as 'shade cloth'.

My reasoning would be that with the blankets, you have a solid area above the plants that will trap the hot air. With the shade cloth, the whole area is vented and will allow the hot air to rise and go out instead of being traped.

Maybe I'm wrong about it tho as I don't live in that kind of area.

Another thought about the cutting back of the plants. If you are worried about those plants making it, take some of the cut off branches and root them as back-ups. I've done well just sticking a broken branch in a large pot of my potting mix and then setting the pot in some kind of a keeper box that you can put in water to about 1/4 to 1/3 up the pot. In about a week it will be nicely rooted and you take the pot out of the water. Works for me on much bigger branches than I would have ever thought would survive.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote