Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 15, 2010   #1
prizebull
Tomatovillian™

Default competition in Buffalo area

Would anybody know if there is a competition for big tomatoes in my area or someplace where I could go to find out? I got some big zac seed I want to try out.
Thanks
Gene
prizebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2010   #2
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi Gene,
The only competition I know of is the one at the Buffalo~Niagara Tomato Tastefest that you are always invited to . We do weigh them on a digital scale. Winners in each category get a certificate and a prize. The winners of the biggest have been in the 2-3lb. range so far.
The Erie County fair has entries for tomatoes, but I don't know about biggest. The other problem is that the fair is too early for most tomatoes.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2010   #3
prizebull
Tomatovillian™

What was I thinking,I should asked you in the first place Unless there is something that makes it totally impossible to get to the Buffalo~Niagara Tomato Tastefest ,I'm going to be there this year ! with the biggest tom around of course.Is it the first Saturday after Labor Day? I've got to start counting backwards for my starting date.
Thanks for reminding me
Gene
prizebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2010   #4
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi Gene,
I sure hope you come! You would have a great time. Labor day is late again this year so it will either be the weekend before Labor day or Labor Day weekend. Later in the year, I'll be seeing what is the best for most people.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote