Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 6, 2009   #1
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Default Squash Blossoms

I found a couple of squash plants at Home Depot and planted them a week or more ago. They were about the only thing that looked as if they might produce, although they were sort of sad-looking. I thought "Well, who knows, they might grow." I just wanted to get something into my new plot.

Both plants have already produced buds. The straight-neck yellow has about half a dozen buds, and one flower has already bloomed.

There are a few little leaves sprouting too. But overall they still look pretty stunted -- no nice big leaves like everyone else's squash. I'm wondering if these blossoms will come to anything. Do I need to help them pollinate or will they figure it out themselves?

In fact, the yellow seems to be two plants, not just one. Are two plants so close together going to be a problem?

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2009   #2
zopi
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like they may have stunted through lack of water...big box store plants do that sometime..they water inconsistently...I've got a Wally World butternut out back
that took a long time to take off, and it still isn't very big..but at least it's fruiting.
zopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2009   #3
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Are you aware that squash has seperate male and female flowers? I ask because I didn't know until I grew it. My squash plants usually produce male flowers first, and a lot more of them than females. Going on that, I'd say the first few flowers probably won't produce anything but pollen.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2009   #4
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

"Do I need to help them pollinate or will they figure it out themselves?"
I usually let the bees or other (polinating) insects do the polinating. So, yes, they need help polinating, but nature usually takes care of that for you.

"In fact, the yellow seems to be two plants, not just one. Are two plants so close together going to be a problem? "
Yeah, but not a serious one. They will compete for resources. It would be better if they weren't like that, but they are. However, sometimes, depending on where they are in development etc. it is best to leave them alone.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2009   #5
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Randy. I think I'll leave the twins as they are.

Zopi, they certainly seem to have been neglected somehow. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm amazed that they're coming out with buds already, and hoping that's a good thing.

And Angel, thanks for pointing that out about the flowers. I would have worried.

Christine
Old July 7, 2009   #6
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

This is interesting -- from the U. of Illinois extension site:

Q. The first flowers that appeared on my pumpkin plants did not form fruits. Why not?

A. This condition is natural for cucurbits (such as cucumber, gourd, muskmelon, pumpkin, squash and watermelon). The first flowers are almost always male. The pollen on these first male flowers attracts bees and alerts them to the location of the blooming vines. By the time the first female blossoms open, the bees' route is well established and the male flowers' pollen is transferred to the female flowers by the bees. Male flowers bloom for one day, then drop off the plants. The male flowers may predominate under certain conditions, especially early in the season, or under certain kinds of stress. The small fruits, visible at the bases of the female flowers, identify them. There is no swelling on the bases of the male flower stems.
Old July 8, 2009   #7
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

The first year* my mom grew cucumbers my sister went through and picked off all the "buggy" flowers. You know, the ones that were growing bug pods under them. Mom couldn't figure out why her cukes kept dropping their babies LOL

*ETA the first year that she started gardening again as an adult. The whole forced to weed as a child thing put her off gardening for a long time.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2009   #8
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

The squash plants have now about tripled in size. The new leaves look so healthy and happy!

Christine
Old July 11, 2009   #9
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

That's awesome, Christine!

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2009   #10
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

And now they're much bigger. I'm loving this, though I suppose in a few years I'll be quite used to it.

It looks as if three or four of the old leaves have powdery mildew. Has anyone used milk to fight it? I read an article that said a spray of 10% milk and 90% water was effective.

Christine
Old July 15, 2009   #11
zopi
Tomatovillian™

Istructions for growing squash...poke seed in ground..water copiously...step back quick, or the seed will poke you back.

My freebie plants the other day included one lonely little squash stalk with one leaf...poked in tin the ground..next day, five leaves...
zopi is offline   Reply With Quote