Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old April 3, 2009   #1
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default SETTFest 2009 growers...what is on your list?

I was just curious as to what everyone is growing that is possibly comming to SETTFest? I am hoping to attend. I want to know what I might get to sample
Kat
Old April 10, 2009   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I will be bringing whatever I have that is ripe.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but this has been a strange spring here in Texas, a lot of challenges, as I'm sure you know.

So far, I've had one freeze, a near freeze, and also that week where there was little/no sun and cold temps for several days in a row.

So, hard to say exactly what I'll be bringing at this point. I'm growing over 130 different varieties, and will bring plenty of good ones from a selection of whatever is ready.

Pics of what folks brought last year can be found here.

Also, here is the website for the event.
Old April 10, 2009   #3
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Great pictures, I've never seen that many tomatoes in 1 place. I will be in New York during the SETTFest this year so I cannot attend. I'm excited about being in New York but would love to be able to come with Kat and experience the tasting of all those maters.

neva
Old April 10, 2009   #4
red

Haven't been to Texas in years. I'm a little far away to attend, but I have added SETTFest to my dream list. I would really like to visit some day. I do remember that Texans do things in a "different and special" way! Thanks to Suze for the links. The website is "outstanding". The pics are well done and highly informative. I am continuing to learn and have bookmarked the SETTFest site for future reference. Thanks!

Sure your event will be great.

Steve in Carolina

Old April 10, 2009   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Just FYI in NC you have to worry about Fusarium and Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus which we don't (yet) have to deal with. If I were growing tomatoes there, I'd do homemade earthboxes with potting soil and plastic mulch on the top to keep Fusarium at bay.

With this job market, who knows, I might be gardening in N.C. next year. Then maybe I will learn from you.

I have plants out there of 24 varieties. Usually I get my tomatoes May 21 - June 15 and then they start to tucker out. The quality of my tomatoes went down last year entirely because I was not watering enough. If I had watered, I would have had great tomatoes into July.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old April 10, 2009   #6
red

Thanks for the suggestion about earthboxes. I had many disease issues last year as well as insect problems. It gets harder each year to produce quality fruit. I am so glad to have found TVille. I am sort of scrambling this year with a few ideas and hoping for the best. As regards the job issue...I have been "looking" for 2 years. I hate the word "resume", but I am thankful for the corn, toms, beans, and okra in the freezer as a result of "time" on my hands to work in the garden.

Steve

Old April 28, 2009   #7
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
I was just curious as to what everyone is growing that is possibly comming to SETTFest? I am hoping to attend. I want to know what I might get to sample
Kat
out of 76 plants in the ground, I counted 128 maters going full blast and 15 of those plants are different varieties. The rain we've had the last several weeks have really put a shot in the arm. Dona is ahead of all others which surprised me and am anxiously waiting to give them a taste test this year since I've never grown them. I again planted Green Zebra for the wife since that is her favorite right off the vine. My Better Boys are right behind the Dona in terms of production. Also have 3 different blacks this year. Cant wait for the Fest!!

This picture taken 2 weeks ago.

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!

Last edited by Plantersville; June 13, 2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: change picture
Old April 29, 2009   #8
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Wow that is beautiful Plantersville! you look ahead of me by several week.
Kat
Old April 29, 2009   #9
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
Wow that is beautiful Plantersville! you look ahead of me by several week.
Kat
Thanks!~ I got 2 rows in the ground on March 1st then planted 1 row a week later then planted the 4th row a week after that. Needless to say, I had obsticles to overcome with 2 freezes to fight but made it through OK. I was hoping to be eating maters by May 1st but it looks like its gonna be at least May 5th before I can get my mouth around at least 1 mater.
I had plants big enough to plant Feb 1st but waited til March. Now I'm thinking a hugh hot house this fall so I can grow 12 months of the year and be able to take the walls and roof off during the hot months.

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Old April 29, 2009   #10
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantersville View Post
Now I'm thinking a hugh hot house this fall so I can grow 12 months of the year and be able to take the walls and roof off during the hot months.
And that is when you know you are hopelessly addicted!