Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 22, 2009   #1
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Default Heirloom tomato blossomed, but no fruit

My Brandywines had a large number of blossoms last year, but the blossoms did not turn into fruit. I live in Minnesota, so I don't attribute this to heat. Can anyone offer any advice? Did they not get pollinated?
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2009   #2
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I am in Minnesota as well (20 miles west of Minneapolis)and we can get the heat and humidity high enough to cause blossom drop. There are many other factors that could cause blossom drop as well like to much Nitrogen in the soil. I have not grown Brandywine yet but it is know for its smaller harvests due to poor setting of fruit.

I have grown Brandy Boy tomatoes with good success and I like the flavor of them and production was good too.

P.S. Welcome to T'Ville lots of good information and people here!!!

Last edited by Gobig_or_Gohome_toms; January 29, 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Grammer
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2009   #3
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

I have tried Brandywines in northeastern Minnesota a few years without any luck. The end of the season I have a lot of green tomatoes. I believe the problem is that they don't set fruit or produce blossoms in cooler early summer temps. Last year I had to buy plants because I wasn't able to start any seeds. I had ok luck with Oregon Spring, and no red tomatoes with Mr. Stripey. In the past I have had good luck with Santiam, Oregon Spring, Ropreco, and Silvery Fruit Tree.
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote