Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 11, 2015   #16
tomho99
Tomatovillian™

I've tried the peat pots as well as the dixie cup route. I've not tried the dirt block and that sounds like a great way to go.

I've gotten to be a bit of a "Dumpster Diver" over the years and love to re-use things others have no longer use for.

I made my second trip to the big block stores today. In MN this is the 1st time the weather came close to 65 this year LOL. Anyway..those that have outdoor garden depts also except the 2", 4" all the way through 5 gal containers to recycle from [people who have purchased and planted from earlier purchases.

I scored 78 of the tall 8" deep by 4" wide plastic containers as well as the plastic holders for these....each holder holds 16 of these cups. I am transplanting my tomato seedlings in these today in preperation for giving them away or selling in the next few weeks.

I've been able to keep the Toms and peppers in these until they reach about 16" high. I'm sure they can go higher but want the root growth wider pots allow. I will transplant these directly into my 5-10 gallon containers with rock and styrofoam on the bottom couple inches for drainage.

There was no shortage of any size container at Lowe's, Home depot or Menards today either. EAch place has always been very gracious in allowing me to take what ever I will use.
Good luck
tomho99 is offline   Reply With Quote