Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Peat pots or plastic cups (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35971)

cjp1953 April 11, 2015 08:23 AM

Peat pots or plastic cups

What do you use to start your tomato and pepper seeds in?I bought some starting mix and 4" round peat pots but have seen on some posts that they grow mold on the sides.I'm wondering if I would be better off using plastic cups of the same size instead of the peat pots.What are your thoughts?This is my first time starting any plants from seed.

pmcgrady April 11, 2015 08:28 AM

Don't buy any, make your own pots from newspaper.

Labradors2 April 11, 2015 08:30 AM

In the past, I have used both peat pots and newspaper pots. Occasionally, I would re-use a yoghurt container or a plastic pot. What I found was that the plastic pots held moisture much better than the other containers, and my plants did better.....

Linda

luigiwu April 11, 2015 08:37 AM

I am all about using seed starting mix in cells (via dense planting) and then potting up to potting mix in SOLO/plastic cups. It does mean you have to drill holes in the container. And I only bottom water.

Tracydr April 11, 2015 09:03 AM

I really don't like peat pots because they dry very quickly. I don't have time to water seedlings 2-3 times a day.

beefsteak April 11, 2015 09:45 AM

[I] I use Styrofoam cups[/I] for transplanting seedlings and just keep increasing size for re-transplanting. Not PC but it's what I do. For starting seed I've used all kinds of things but settled on peat pots for starting and as soon as they get their true leaves, into the Styrofoam cups. Now if I'm starting tomatoes real early to get big plants to put in I will use plastic pots, (the cheap thin black ones), because they don't make big enough Styrofoam cups, (picture gallon size). :yes:

Stvrob April 11, 2015 10:20 AM

I dont understand the peat pot idea. I think they imply you can transplant without taking it out of the pot, but that doesnt make sense. But removing it from the pot seems to cause more damage to roots than a plastic cup.

cjp1953 April 11, 2015 10:20 AM

I bought some plastic cups the same size only deeper and will try both.I'm going to try some flower seeds I saved in the peat pots and see what happens.The tomato and pepper seeds will go in the plastic cups after I drill some holes for drainage.

Irv Wiseguy April 11, 2015 10:32 AM

I've been using 8oz paper Dixie cups from Costco. They're cheap, a good size for seed starting and the Costco package is huge so for the amount of plants I start (this year it was 14 tomatoes and peppers) I won't have to buy them again for a while.

Irv

AZGardener April 11, 2015 01:26 PM

I have always used those jiffy pellets where they come 30 something to a box? They do take a little more time to water, maintain,etc but I feel like you have a little more control over everything. A friend who is a serious pepper grower starts 5-10 seeds in a yogurt container with soiless starting mix and he does really well too. Once you get comfortable with the process, you can go on to using different containers and starting mediums. Search youtube also, there are some really good videos on there for how to start seed and specifically tomatoes.

RayR April 11, 2015 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=Tracydr;463856]I really don't like peat pots because they dry very quickly. I don't have time to water seedlings 2-3 times a day.[/QUOTE]

I only use peat pots to start cucumbers and squash which I don't want to disturb the roots at transplant. Put the peat pots in plastic sandwich bags and they won't dry out fast.

[QUOTE=Stvrob;463871]I dont understand the peat pot idea. I think they imply you can transplant without taking it out of the pot, but that doesnt make sense. But removing it from the pot seems to cause more damage to roots than a plastic cup.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to remove the plant from the peat pot because the roots will grow right through a moist peat pot. If the roots are not growing through the peat pot at transplant you can tear some the peat pot off without disturbing the roots much.

FarmerShawn April 11, 2015 03:16 PM

Not to sound like a broken record (there I go - dating myself) but why use any container at all? I use soil blocks for just about everything. Once you've got the equipment you don't need to keep on getting or finding anything else, and there is nothing to contribute to some landfill when it's used. Transplant shock doesn't exist, because roots are never disturbed and they never get root bound. Bottom watering, the preferred method, is simple, just requiring a dunk, tray by tray. Granted, the blocker is pricey, but it's a lifetime investment in superior growing, or at least starting.

Cole_Robbie April 11, 2015 03:47 PM

[url]http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5956-stand-up-20-soil-blocker.aspx[/url]

Now I know what I want for Christmas.

Shawn, does the block hold up well through several waterings? Six weeks after starting, does it look like something a market customer would want to buy? Do they get mold and algae?

Worth1 April 11, 2015 05:50 PM

I start mine in the jiffy pellets and then pot up to 1/2 pint glass mason jars.
The jars have 1/2 inch holes drilled in the bottom with a diamond hole saw.
If you dont break them they last forever.

Worth

FarmerShawn April 11, 2015 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;463956][url]http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5956-stand-up-20-soil-blocker.aspx[/url]

Now I know what I want for Christmas.

Shawn, does the block hold up well through several waterings?

Yes, my blocks hold up just fine. In fact, as they fill with roots, they become almost indestructible.

Six weeks after starting, does it look like something a market customer would want to buy?

They sell just fine at market for me. The ease of planting out and lack of landfill waste are selling points, and the plants just look great.

Do they get mold and algae?

I do sometimes get green algae growing if I've kept them too moist, but have never felt it was any kind of setback or problem. It never has seemed to affect the plants in any way.

[/QUOTE]