Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 4, 2007   #1
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default The JD's Special C-Tex Mutation Results!

I've got several folks interested in the outcome of a single, odd colored fruit from a plant of JD's Special C-Tex. All other fruit on this plant was typical of the JD's fruit that many here have had the opportunity to experiance. The results are not quite in but the first fruit is starting to ripen. I must first tell you about this first fruit from the fall garden though. I actually knocked this fruit off of the plant but did notice that it had a faint blush on the bottom. The problem with this fruit is that it may go bad before I can get a decent photo of the color. Still, the other fruit on the plant can't be too far off with ripening and I wanted to get this thread started with the pending results soon to come in.

The photos below don't do justice to the very interesting color that I am trying to confirm. Sort of a pinkish red. As of yet, the only person I've sent seeds to is Craig(nctomatoman).

Here is the photo of the mutation:

A typical fruit from JD's Special C-Tex

And here is a side-by-side comparison. Note that the photo below was taken in direct sunlight hence the lighter color of the fruit on the left side.
BVGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2007   #2
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Okay...here is what I am observing at the moment. Based on what I experianced before, it looks to me that this fruit will ripen to the pinkish-red color it exhibited before. If it does, maybe I'll name it JD's Special Pink.

Old December 6, 2007   #3
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Here is the latest on the ripening stage as of this morning.

Old December 6, 2007   #4
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Very interesting!

Thank you for sharing the info Jay and please continue to keep us posted.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2007   #5
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Hey Mischka and Everyone,

Well, the fruit is ripening to the color exhibited previously. So looks like I'm good to go with saving seed from this plant as being different than JD's Special C-Tex. I'm going to name it JD's Special Pink - I would like to keep the connection to JD's Special C-Tex in some way.

Here is where it is at currently. I'm going to let this fruit ripen one more day and then slice.

Here is another fruit beginning to ripen:

Let me see how much seed I end up with. There are several fruit on this plant and some are fairly large.

Jay
Old December 8, 2007   #6
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to hearing about the taste Jay.

Nice job. Good growing.

Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2007   #7
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Well, I sliced and tasted the fruit today. With a bit of additional ripening since yesterday, this fruit has turned out to be a beautiful pink. I found the flavor to be excellent and comparable to Brandywine. If you have tasted Brandywine at it's best, then know that this one would rival it - I'm trying to be as honest as I can with regards to the flavor and do not desire to overstate it but it is what it is. I started the first batch of seed fermenting today from this fruit. Not a lot of seed from this single fruit but I'll have another large fruit ripe this week. You might ask why I only took photos of the fruit with it flipped upside down. That is due to the several bad spots on top of the tomato that I thought were going to make the whole fruit go bad before I got any decent photos.....trust me, it wasn't pretty to say the least.

JD's Special Pink

Here is a slice. Note that there was a bad spot on the bottom left of the slice which is reflected by the yellowish area in the photo.
Old December 10, 2007   #8
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Here is a recent photo of the next fruit to ripen.

Old December 10, 2007   #9
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've got several folks interested in the outcome of a single, odd colored fruit from a plant of JD's Special C-Tex. All other fruit on this plant was typical of the JD's fruit that many here have had the opportunity to experiance.
Quote:
So looks like I'm good to go with saving seed from this plant as being different than JD's Special C-Tex.
Brazos, I am a little confused (no wisecracks here, please). The first post says single fruit on a plant with all the others normal, but in later posts it sounds like an entire plant. The first would be a mutation, the second could be a crossed seed, a segregation, a mutation, or several other things.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2007   #10
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ruth,

A couple of years ago, I grew out a single plant of JD's Special C-Tex and on that plant, it produced a single fruit with pinkish-red color. All of the other fruit, on that same plant, were the typical fruit color of JD's Special C-Tex that are similiar to Cherokee Purple.

I saved seed from that single fruit and grew a plant this fall from that seed to confirm whether or not the pinkish-red color would still be observed. Fortunately, the color still holds true as shown in the above fruit. Since this plant is grown from seed saved from the original fruit, then all fruit on this plant will or should produce fruit with the same color.

Regards,
Jay
Old December 10, 2007   #11
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Jay,
Gotcha, now I follow. Thanks for the clarification. The new 'mater sounds like a winner!

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2007   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Acts like an epidermis mutation from yellow to clear and if so all else should remain the same other than the color of the fruits.

What I'm saying is that taste and size and all else should be the same as the original JD if indeed it's a single spontaneous mutation.

There are numerous examples of such exterior epidermis color mutations. One that comes to mind is Yellow Riesentraube and another is Cherokee Chocolate.

And for many years I maintained several varieties in both their red and pink forms, but I never distributed seeds for the color that wasn't correct for the original.

But that's just me, and I know that several such mutations that led to a different color than the original have been distributed and indeed are not only listed in the SSE Yearbook but do appear on some commercial websites/catalogs but I'd have to research some of those to give the names, and it really isn't all that relevant to the issue at hand.
Old December 11, 2007   #13
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, do you think I'm doing the right thing with the name (JD's Special Pink)? Or would you name it something completely different?

Jay
Old December 11, 2007   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazosValleyGardener View Post
Carolyn, do you think I'm doing the right thing with the name (JD's Special Pink)? Or would you name it something completely different?

Jay
Jay, above you compared the taste to Brandywine and I've seen no one who compares the taste of JD's original to Brandywine, so that's one issue since as I said if it's just a spontaneous epidermis mutation all else should remain the same, essentially.

Are you doing right by naming it JD's Special PInk? That's for you to decide. And note that we have Cherokee Chocolate that retains the Cherokee and Yellow Riesentraube which retains that variety name and Orange Russian # 117 which retains that name, and there are more examples I can't remember right now.

What I'm saying is that there's precedence..
Old December 11, 2007   #15
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Okay, thanks Carolyn!! It could be I'm so tomato starved that I would taste Brandywine in any variety. I should have another fruit to taste this week or by this weekend for sure.

I see what your saying on the naming so I'll go with the JD's Special Pink.

Jay