Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 25, 2020   #1
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Default Early to ask, but need help with next years choices

Hi.As my mobility is getting gradually worse, I have to accept the fact that gardening is now very difficult for me so I need to make even more changes to continue.

I no longer have a garden outside, it has all been turned into lawn, so I have quite a good few very large pots amd I do have my glass greenhouse which has thigh high cedar beds all round. It is only 10x16 I think. One side is for tomatoes, the other for everything else LOl, and the back bit is for growing tall beans. it works well for me.

Everything in there is growing very well. However I have already hit snags this year. It is almost too much of a stretchnow to tie in my tall ID tomato plants , and it is still early so I wll be struggling even more once they are really tall.so am already thinking of a different plan for next year.

I am going to only plant the Dwarf ID project tomatoes,maybe I can cage them, they won't grow as high and will be much easier for me. I have 2 in there now and they are no problem

What I need to know is which ones to choose. I know some of them can grow quite big. I don't want teeny tiny ones either , I have a place I can grow "littlies" so can anyone advise me which to buy so I can plan ahead. I enjoy seeing different tomatoes growing so need a few varieties.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I know the info is out there but there is sooo much of it, it will take me forever so am hoping some one can share their personal views. 3-4 feet is ideal, but no taller

I am not asking for seeds , just info, so I can get myself organised well ahead of time.

Hoping this is not too much to ask and thank you in advance.

XX Jeannine

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; May 25, 2020 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Edited to add I would prefer 3 feet
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine Anne, I have to recommend Maglia Rosa. It was the best tasting of all the varieties I grew last year. It grows to about 3 feet in my 3-gallon sized containers and the fruit are beautiful pink/yellow bi-colours and bullet-shaped. They even taste great really early in the season, just as they are beginning to blush!

Another favourite is Bulgarian Triumph, a compact with red saladette tomatoes that are perfect orbs with excellent taste. I grow it in the garden inside a tomato cage.

I have seeds if you need them!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020   #3
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Linda , thank you, that sound a lot like what I want. It is the height thing that is important, I did say up to 4 but have edited to up to 3. I think I could comfortably do that.

I am going to make a list of what is suggested, then do some googling, you have made a goos start for me.

The offer of seeds was very sweet but at this pont I will say no, I plan on giving away all my other seeds so I don't have so many and will only have the final choices.

thank you again XX Jeannine
Old May 25, 2020   #4
edweather
Tomatovillian™

I grew Dwarf Wild Fred this year. My expectations were low, and I'm pleasantly surprised. Plant grows about 4 feet. Tomatoes taste great, and we've pulled at least 10 lbs off the plant so far, with at least 10 more to go.
Old May 25, 2020   #5
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I can think of a few dwarf varieties that might work for you - in addition to the ones mentioned by Linda/Labradors2 (such as Maglia Rosa, which is a really great elongated cherry tomato on a compact plant):

* New Big Dwarf - A classic heirloom dwarf first commercially released in 1909. It is pink tomato (6-12 oz.) and is the shortest dwarf indeterminate plant I have grown - about three feet tall for me.

* Rosella Purple - One of the Dwarf Tomato Project (DTP) tomatoes. It is three-to-four feet tall and produces purple fruit averaging about 6-10 oz. each.

* Wherokwhai - Another DTP release, this plant is less than four feet tall and produces yellow/red bi-color tomatoes in the 6-12 oz. range.

* Dwarf Caitydid - A DTP variety that, like Wherokwhai, is a yellow/red bi-color with 5-10 oz. fruit on a three-to-four foot tall plant.

* Rosella Crimson - Yet another DTP release and a sibling/cousin of Rosella Purple, though this one is a pink tomato (not purple). It also falls in the three-to-four foot range and the fruit roughly 6-12 oz.

* Uluru Ochre - A DTP tomato that is three-and-a-half feet tall. The fruit are around 6-12 oz. and a unique color - orange with green undertones.

I would have suggested Dwarf Sweet Sue (a pretty yellow tomato), but the plant reaches five feet tall, so it is outside of the range that you are seeking. A lot of the orange dwarf varieties also lean a bit larger (four feet or even taller), so I didn't include them - with the notable exception of Uluru Ochre. I also didn't list any green-when-ripe dwarf plants as I haven't grown any yet... but I am growing Dwarf Peppermint Stripes this year (a GWR with stripes and some red marbling). So maybe I'll have a plant and fruit size update for you later in the summer.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020   #6
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Wild Fred is one of the two Dwarf project ones have in the greenhouse so good to know it does well. I grew it a few years ago but didn't take notice of th height.

Thank you for info re yeild too.
Old May 25, 2020   #7
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you dor so much info, very useful. I do have New Big dwarf seeds I think and maybe Rosella Purple..not sure.

The Peppermint Stripes sounds super and I would appreciate the info later if you get a chance..

I am off to look them up, again thank you I am really glad to get the help.

This getting old and feeble sucks!!
Old May 25, 2020   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I have quite a few dwarf project and micro varieties, pm me and I’m happy to share some seeds for a sase
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020   #9
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi Karen, thank you for the very kind offer.I am not sure just what varieties I want yet. I am trying very hard not to buy/collect more than I will use as I have tons of seeds already, I am just taking a new road with them and going a different route. .

I have been watching your postings since I came back on the forum, the work you are doing is interesting me very much. I have been trying to find the start so I can familiarise more with what you are doing. I have sort of come in at the wrong place., but so far I have not done so.

I have always had a soft spot for what I call the littlies, I guess folks call them micros but it is the work with the dwarfs I want to get to know more about. I believe you are doing both. Do you have any that are being sold yet, as I said I came in the middle somewhere.I am way out of touch with the forum so have missed a lot of info.

Way back a few years ago, I think, I remember you moving to the island but maybe I am mistaken, I can't recollect more than a tiny bit, seem to think you moved in the middle of the season??

Thank you again for the offer,it is very kind.

XX Jeannine
Old May 31, 2020   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'm making the switch to mostly Dwarfs as well due to ease of care and space. Last year Sleeping Lady and Golden Gypsy were standouts in terms of flavor and production. Arctic Rose was a bit too mild for my tastes, but also produced well. This year I'm trying Waratah and Rosella Crimson, regrowing Sleeping Lady and Golden Gypsy. I'm also growing two I worked on but haven't grown since before their release -- Fred's Tie Dye and Tastywine. All are in the 3' range with good sized fruit. Others I worked on that I'll probably rotate in next year are Boronia and Dwarf Pink Passion.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2020   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Hi Karen, thank you for the very kind offer.I am not sure just what varieties I want yet. I am trying very hard not to buy/collect more than I will use as I have tons of seeds already, I am just taking a new road with them and going a different route. .

I have been watching your postings since I came back on the forum, the work you are doing is interesting me very much. I have been trying to find the start so I can familiarise more with what you are doing. I have sort of come in at the wrong place., but so far I have not done so.

I have always had a soft spot for what I call the littlies, I guess folks call them micros but it is the work with the dwarfs I want to get to know more about. I believe you are doing both. Do you have any that are being sold yet, as I said I came in the middle somewhere.I am way out of touch with the forum so have missed a lot of info.

Way back a few years ago, I think, I remember you moving to the island but maybe I am mistaken, I can't recollect more than a tiny bit, seem to think you moved in the middle of the season??

Thank you again for the offer,it is very kind.

XX Jeannine
Hi Jeannine, yes, in 2016 we moved from the Edmonton area to Vancouver Island. Love it here and still learning how to garden here in such a different climate.
Between determinate and dwarf tomatoes you still have hundreds of excellent options for your garden under four feet so definitely explore the Determinate options as well.
If you are on Facebook, I still manage my gardener page

https://m.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada/

If not, there are long unweildy threads here called the KARMA project, true north tomatoes, the short and sweet project and a few others. There are now 11 stable tomatoes I bred released so far and a number in the works.
I’m pleased you are interested and I’d enjoy seeing you grow something of mine sometime. Once you know what seeds you are looking for, pm me I’ll see if I have soMe
Take care,
KarenO
Old June 1, 2020   #12
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Karen, Hi again. Do you have any for sale dwarfs ready. I think I have the Karma and Tundra info correct but they are not dwarfs..am I right they sound wonderful and was tempted but managed to hold off as I have decided I am going with dwarfs.I am also interestded in the little ones too but for now I dare not get into those..much as I want to. It wuldn;t take much t change my mind though LOL

I have looked at your Facebook info but again I am coming in at the wrong time.I will try and find the start of the Short and Sweet info.

Thank you fr the info, you are doing something very special and am looking forward to you having seeds for dwarfs abvaialable soon. If I have this wrong, and you have them now,please get back to me XX Jeannine
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hi Jeannine, yes, in 2016 we moved from the Edmonton area to Vancouver Island. Love it here and still learning how to garden here in such a different climate.
Between determinate and dwarf tomatoes you still have hundreds of excellent options for your garden under four feet so definitely explore the Determinate options as well.
If you are on Facebook, I still manage my gardener page

https://m.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada/

If not, there are long unweildy threads here called the KARMA project, true north tomatoes, the short and sweet project and a few others. There are now 11 stable tomatoes I bred released so far and a number in the works.
I’m pleased you are interested and I’d enjoy seeing you grow something of mine sometime. Once you know what seeds you are looking for, pm me I’ll see if I have soMe
Take care,
KarenO
Old June 1, 2020   #13
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi there, sorry, no dwarfs of mine ready yet but if I can tempt you, both miracle and the purple mf are very compact in the KARMA project, may 4-5 feet for me and you could certainly top any of them to keep them manageable...
Old June 1, 2020   #14
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I grow a lot of dwarfs for my roof gutter garden at church. I have 32 tomato spots up there. Some are not from our project. I will list my go-to varieties from the project. I do like a mix of colors, but these all have wonderful flavor and grow well for me. Dwarf Beauty King (red with gold stripes), Dwarf Blazing Beauty. (deep orange), Dwarf Scarlet Heart ( red heart), Dwarf Sweet Sue (yellow with pink blossom end), Dwarf Wild Fred (purple/black), Sleeping Lady (brown black), Sweet Adelaide ( pink), Tasmanian Chocolate (brown black), Tennessee Suited. (Purple with green stripes), Wherokowhai( yellow with red swirls), and Willa’s Cariboo Rose ( pink). I also grow Rosella Crimson every year and love it, but the plants do grow quite large. I think you will find that the strong central stalk makes these plants very easy to deal with. I do stake them and put a small cage around them, but that is easy.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2020   #15
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

yes it is because they have that stout centra stalk, I have 2 in my greenhouse, so easy to care for.I also have right now a ggod few other types of tomtoes, they are of course charging ahead.It was extremely difficult for me to tie them in today and so next year just ID dwarfs. I was gasping for breath and doubled up with pain after tying in just 12 plants. had to sit in the greenhuse for 15 minutes till I could safely get back to the house. By next year I will nolonger be able to tend reguar ID anynore.