Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 17, 2016   #1
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Default Truly heart shaped

100_2043.JPG
Independence Day variety. most of them have 3 or 4 lobes, but this one has only 2.
Old May 17, 2016   #2
SeniorTomate
Tomatovillian™

Very Cool!
SeniorTomate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Not so sure that's what that variety should look like.

First,some pictures

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...24.O6-FqOL_4As

Now a google search

https://www.google.com/search?q=Inde..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

I'd start my looking at the first link in the Google search from tomatoville. there doesn 't seem to be any consensus on what the shape should , as well as the variety name ,but most say a small round red.

So I'm wondering if the slight longation on yours might be due to high heat when fruit development starts,which can make a round, usually smaller ones, have an extension at the blossom end.

Carolyn
Old May 17, 2016   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, All of these tomatoes look similar to this. I have 6 in pots and 6 in the high tunnel growing. every one of them NOT a nice round red tomato. they are lobed?.. it is if every one of them have 3 or 4 rounded sections for each tomato. The flavor is good, the texture is nice and meaty. all of them have points? I grew them to sell them, but most people want a round red BORING tomato. So, what! I will pick them and put them in pints anyway. and they are potato leaf just as the variety is supposed to have.
100_2057.JPG

100_2049.JPG

100_2046.JPG

100_2047.JPG

The first link for Independence Day.. is actually Fourth of July information.http://www.tomatodirt.com/fourth-of-july-tomato.html
The second link is for .. tada... Fourth of July... yada yada for all of them, along with a movie review... The Livingston information is exactly the envelope I bought, but the picture isn't what I am growing and all of the fruit on every plant looks pretty similar. If you ask me I think most of the pictures look like Bloody Butcher.

Last edited by clkeiper; May 17, 2016 at 08:15 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #5
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I tried to grow some Wild Boar's Dragon Eye, but failed the first time:
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Dragon%27s_Eye

These Orange Roussollini are pretty attractive as well. I thought they were going to be super sweet, but turns to be pretty ordinary tasting:
http://migardener.com/store/orange-roussollini-tomato/
(It reminds me a lot of Piennolo Del Vesuvio, but prettier.)

Last edited by maxjohnson; May 17, 2016 at 08:23 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #6
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I think Carolyn may be right. I have 17 Creole plants going in a RB and the 1st tomatoes were/are round, the 2nd set of flowers were in a rain week and almost none of them developed and the 3rd set has a heart shape. The temps weren't extreme for here but it changed from 70's to 80's in a day or 2. The forth set are all round now that the temps have settled and it's consistently in the 80's.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I think Carolyn may be right. I have 17 Creole plants going in a RB and the 1st tomatoes were/are round, the 2nd set of flowers were in a rain week and almost none of them developed and the 3rd set has a heart shape. The temps weren't extreme for here but it changed from 70's to 80's in a day or 2. The forth set are all round now that the temps have settled and it's consistently in the 80's.
this wouldn't explain why mine are "heart" shaped. Every one from the first to now is very similar. Your plants are in an entirely different climate than mine. Mine are inside of a greenhouse or a high tunnel. We have had no extreme weather for heat in the past 6 months. I have been heating my greenhouse since we are so below normal. The plants are covered in blossoms and all the fruit on the plants are "lobed" and pointed and the trusses are full. Pollination and fruit set is excellent.

I have sent an inquiry to Livingston Seed. Maybe they have a better explanation of the tomato than what we have found so far.

Last edited by clkeiper; May 17, 2016 at 10:36 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #8
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm curious to hear what they say too. Maybe it's a watering/fertilizer thing going on. Yours look like mine at the bottom, not really heart shaped but more of a nipple shape. I looked at your pics again and noticed that not all have the nipple unless it's just the position on the tomatoes.

I grew heatwave 2 in the greenhouse this year and most were multi blossoms early in the year. That make me think it has to do with temps.

And I hope the weather evens out up there. I'm getting to a point here the fruits won't set and it's still freezing up north in some areas. Crazy weather this year.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
this wouldn't explain why mine are "heart" shaped. Every one from the first to now is very similar. Your plants are in an entirely different climate than mine. Mine are inside of a greenhouse or a high tunnel. We have had no extreme weather for heat in the past 6 months. I have been heating my greenhouse since we are so below normal. The plants are covered in blossoms and all the fruit on the plants are "lobed" and pointed and the trusses are full. Pollination and fruit set is excellent.

I have sent an inquiry to Livingston Seed. Maybe they have a better explanation of the tomato than what we have found so far.
Incomplete pollenization can also lead to different fruit shapes as well. It's one reason that commercial tomato growers who grow in green houses hire beekeepers to bring hives into the greenhouses.

I'd try to find some links for that but soon I get taken to the dentist for an abscessed tooth problem,so that's that for today.

Carolyn
Old May 20, 2016   #10
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Incomplete pollenization can also lead to different fruit shapes as well. It's one reason that commercial tomato growers who grow in green houses hire beekeepers to bring hives into the greenhouses.

I'd try to find some links for that but soon I get taken to the dentist for an abscessed tooth problem,so that's that for today.

Carolyn
Good luck to you at the dentist!

I hope that you have a quick recovery. Sometimes these types of things can be quite painful and invasive.
Old May 21, 2016   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Good luck to you at the dentist!

I hope that you have a quick recovery. Sometimes these types of things can be quite painful and invasive.
Thanks for the good luck,but when I saw my dentist this past Wed I did not have good luck at all.

Without going into details,the next step is a dental surgeon. And that's getting complicated as well since only one person is able to get me out of my home to a wheelchair to my car,then we carry my walker with us,blah,blah,blah.

Carolyn
Old June 7, 2016   #12
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Well. now that theses are ripe and we are eating them as fast as they ripen... I will grow them again. I do think that carolyn137 is correct about the pollination. Now the tomatoes are beginning to look just like the picture. All the ladybugs and air movement didn't pollinate as well as open air and outside bugs. But they taste good.