Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 28, 2015   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Striped cherry tomatoes found in Moldova - what are they?

Just visited Chisinau, where I found in the supermarket a local cherry tomato that is pointed and striped (light green stripes on red). Anyone know what these are? I like them, and saved a few seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0076.jpg (61.6 KB, 259 views)
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Scott, are you sure they are local and not shipped in and I ask b'c I've seen several that look like that at different seed sites, and especially one that Pattyb sent me this past summer called Striped Heart, but was oval as you show, another one I remember from Territorial Seeds, etc.

Just remembering that Patty sent many different varieties to me and I was supposed to get back to her re her offer of seeds to me of the ones I liked. Another entry in my to do list.

Especially since you found them in a supermarket and not at a farmers market or a roadside stand.

For instance, Green Zebra Cherry, a variety I got from Reinhard in Germany, was shipped in and let me give you the link for that one.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

Various companies in the Netherlands have been shipping not just F1's but also OP's to many different countries.

Carolyn
Old October 28, 2015   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I am sure because I saw the boxes they were shipped in, and they were local AND I spoke to a local gardener who told me they are grown locally to add beauty to salads. He also said it is difficult to know varieties because no one labels plants or seeds locally - they are just sold as cherry tomatoes.

That does not mean this cherry is not grown elsewhere, though.
Old October 29, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I am sure because I saw the boxes they were shipped in, and they were local AND I spoke to a local gardener who told me they are grown locally to add beauty to salads. He also said it is difficult to know varieties because no one labels plants or seeds locally - they are just sold as cherry tomatoes.

That does not mean this cherry is not grown elsewhere, though.
And it could also mean that this variety was bred in Moldova as was this one:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Dikaya_Roza

I got my seeds for it via Clara from that place in Estonia and I know one got it off of e-bay. One of my seed producers got enough seeds for it this past summer and it will be in my next seed offer. My seed producer though very highly of it as did Swordy from Rhodes in the Greek isles who also posts here.

Carolyn
Old October 29, 2015   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have purchased similar ones couple of years ago from Trader Joes.
They were marketed in mixed cherry Heirloom tomatoes.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #6
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

STRIPED IGOR is ready.

Folks, the seeds I saved grew true, and so I can give away seeds if anyone wants them.

I am calling this one the Striped Igor, since no one knew the variety in Moldova.

These are a pretty red and green striped cherry with a rich tomato taste. Not sweet. PM me with your address if you want seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0027.jpg (11.4 KB, 157 views)
Old July 2, 2016   #7
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Default Sorry to interrupt...

I just couldn't resist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06087b.jpg (82.7 KB, 153 views)
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #8
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
STRIPED IGOR is ready.

Folks, the seeds I saved grew true, and so I can give away seeds if anyone wants them.

I am calling this one the Striped Igor, since no one knew the variety in Moldova.

These are a pretty red and green striped cherry with a rich tomato taste. Not sweet. PM me with your address if you want seeds.
What an awesome thing to do!

Pm sent! I wished i would have included my addy now. As i didn't read the whole post first. Err

Anyway your pm inbox is now full... go figure lol
Bill
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Looks to me like Black Striped heart that Pattyb sent me,see I think posts 12 and 13 in this link.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39251

It's not a heart,it's a small cherry sized oval,with outstanding taste,Patty had sent me some fruits to taste last summer,this was just one of them.

She followed up by sending me seeds for several of the fruits she sent me and I sent seeds to several commercial places,I think,as well as some SSE friends,for grow out/seed production this summer. I'd have to check my data book to be more specific as to where I sent seeds.

Why not Moldova?

When I look at what Iva offers in Slovenia I know she gets many from other places,and when I look at the International section in the SSE Yearbooks I see the same, and always there's Geza from Hungary who offers seeds here and at many other sites and he posts what he's looking for.

So again,why not Moldova?

Carolyn

Last IknewTerritorialseedswasalsosellingasimilarone.
Old July 2, 2016   #10
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

That one looks a great deal like the one I have, and thank you to Carolyn for remembering that. Mine is slimmer and more pointed, and seem to be darker red.

But they are very similar. I won't use her name, though, since it is not a heart.
Old July 3, 2016   #11
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

There are so many Moldovan tomato varieties, but they in Moldova are not into breeding of striped varieties and I know it for sure! They are famous for red globe, plum and pepper shaped tomato varieties...

So I'm pretty sure Scott has got some foreign CV mostly likely from Neverlands or Spain, because here in CIS there is no major tradition to sell local tomato in supermarkets - only import! Local farmers have no extra funds to pay for shelf place and extra bonuses from a turnover - so it is only for big wholesalers/importers.

I've not been to Kishinev, but had several times seen these striped tomato fruit in our Minsk supermarket too.
So if Scott wanted to know the country of origin and possibly the original name of this variety he had to watch on the sticker of the plastic bag while buying these fruits...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; July 3, 2016 at 02:38 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2016   #12
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Pm sent Scott. Was the skin on your tomato thick? Black Striped Heart Cherry had some real thick skin that crunched when bitten into.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2016   #13
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Striped Cherry Tomato

Thanks Scott. PM sent. I was just working on my list of cherries to try next year. This one looks interesting.
Deborah

Last edited by friedgreen51; July 3, 2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2016   #14
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
There are so many Moldovan tomato varieties, but they in Moldova are not into breeding of striped varieties and I know it for sure! They are famous for red globe, plum and pepper shaped tomato varieties...

So I'm pretty sure Scott has got some foreign CV mostly likely from Neverlands or Spain, because here in CIS there is no major tradition to sell local tomato in supermarkets - only import! Local farmers have no extra funds to pay for shelf place and extra bonuses from a turnover - so it is only for big wholesalers/importers.

I've not been to Kishinev, but had several times seen these striped tomato fruit in our Minsk supermarket too.
So if Scott wanted to know the country of origin and possibly the original name of this variety he had to watch on the sticker of the plastic bag while buying these fruits...
I suspected that, so I spoke to a local gardener, the mayor of a town near Chisinau, and he said people grow these cherry in his area. He didn't know the specific name for it. So, whatever the source, it is now grown as a local cherry in Moldova.

Interesting that you saw this variety in Minsk. I did examine the packaging, and there was no origin on it, and it seemed of local quality, that is, not sufficient for long distance travel. But really I don't know, and accept that this cherry must be grown regionally.
Old July 3, 2016   #15
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Folks, I had quite a bit of interest in this, so need to save more seeds. Give me a few days.