Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 16, 2015   #1
naseer
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden Gem available! sort of...

If you've followed any of the news about the research into tasty varieties coming out of University of Florida, you may already be familiar with the Garden Gem variety that Harry Klee developed. Produced through traditional cross-breeding techniques, it was optimized for both superb flavor and shippability, so you would think it would be poised to replace all the styrofoam-tasting tomatoes on the shelves in supermarkets worldwide. Unfortunately, the buyers at the stores and seed suppliers have responded tepidly, so the seeds aren't readily available. More details on that here:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...ors_picks=true

HOWEVER, there is a silver lining. I looked on fb for Garden Gem, and found that they've set up an fb page just for this variety (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garde...717213?fref=ts). There, they claim that if you donate to the University of Florida Tomato Research Fund--no suggested minimum--they'll send you seeds for Garden Gem and Garden Treasure (even newer variety). The link to the UF fundraising page is: https://www.uff.ufl.edu/OnlineGiving...undCode=011545

I gave $20 and thought there might be more people here who would be interested. Really looking forward to tasting this variety next summer!
naseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #2
naseer
Tomatovillian™

More details.

It turns out Garden Gem is semi-determinate and Garden Treasure is indeterminate. I think both are F1 Hybrid. So far almost 800 people have donated (the minimum is $10), and they've already sent out 500 packs of seeds--20 seeds of each variety per donation. It's too bad that in zone 5b I won't be able to plant mine until next year. Very interested to see how they do in our region.
Old August 6, 2015   #3
naseer
Tomatovillian™

My seeds arrived! The demand was so high that they temporarily ran out of Garden Treasure (their indeterminate hybrid), which is too bad. However, they did provide 4 packets of 20 seeds each:

2 packets are "new hybrid" with record levels of lycopene
1 packet of Garden Gem
1 packet of one of Garden Gem's parents--Maglia Rosa Cherry

Did anyone end up getting any Garden Treasure?
Old August 6, 2015   #4
maf
Tomatovillian™

A few days ago I received Garden Gem and Garden Treasure, but I didn't get any new hybrids.

I am pretty sure there was another thread here talking about these seeds and this offer.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #5
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I received Garden Gem and "New" Hybrid tomato.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #6
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Mine were delivered yesterday and it was Garden Gem and Garden Treasure.

I am going to plant for the fall season; probably within the next week or so.

What does it say about the "New Hybrid".
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #7
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

That is strange Barb since I got my seeds 2 weeks ago and they said they were out of Garden Treasure and substituted New Hybrid. I started 10 seeds of Garden Gem and 10 of New Hybrid as soon as I got them since I plant out fall tomatoes the first week in September. The New Hybrid only had 40% germination. The Garden Gem was 100% and those are already very robust plants that I just stepped them up to 4 inch pots.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2015   #8
naseer
Tomatovillian™

Anyone want to trade some Garden Treasure for any of the seeds below? These are the two varieties they sent me instead. In the letter attached, they wrote, "We are substituting a brand new hybrid that we think has fantastic potential. It is exceptionally high in lycopene. "

"New" Hybrid Tomato
Determinate - This plant is determinate, producing abundant large round deep red 6 ounce fruits. The first fruits ripen about 70-75 days after transplanting. The plants are resistant to gray leaf spot, Phytophthora Race 3 and Fusarium wilt Races 0, 1 and 2.

Maglia Rosa Cherry
This plant is semi-determinate, producing elongated 20 grams fruit. It's an early bearer with first fruits ripening 60-65 days after transplanting. Plants are resistant Fusarium wilt Races 0 and 2. This variety is one of the parents of our Garden Gem Tomato, so you get to compare them.
Old August 7, 2015   #9
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

naseer - messaging you
Old August 15, 2015   #10
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

You may find the paper listed on UofFl/H.Klee's site about taste preferences an interesting read - the sampling data is pre-2012 so GG is not included in the cluster data.

Tieman DM, McIntyre L, Blandon-Ubeda A, Bies D, Odabasi A, Rodriguez G, van der Knaap E, Taylor M, Goulet C, Mageroy MH, Snyder D, Colquoun T, Moskowitz H, Sims C, Clark D, Bartoshuk L, Klee H. 2012. The chemical interactions underlying tomato flavor preferences. Current Biology 22:1-5.

http://www.hos.ufl.edu/kleeweb/paper...%20Biology.pdf

rg
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #11
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
That is strange Barb since I got my seeds 2 weeks ago and they said they were out of Garden Treasure and substituted New Hybrid. I started 10 seeds of Garden Gem and 10 of New Hybrid as soon as I got them since I plant out fall tomatoes the first week in September. The New Hybrid only had 40% germination. The Garden Gem was 100% and those are already very robust plants that I just stepped them up to 4 inch pots.
Well not to be the bearer of bad news, but I have similar results.

Garden Gem - I only planted 2 seeds - my spring garden is usually better than fall but of those 2 - 100% and quickly

F1 - (via a trade to share Garden Treasure seeds) - I sowed 4, but having been tipped off about the low germination rates, I soaked in Foliage Pro/water first - they did sink so I thought all was well. zero germination.

Garden Treasure - also soaked in FP/water - and one germinated quickly (like Garden Gem) the other a full week later.
Old August 31, 2015   #12
kevenson
Tomatovillian™

I got my garden gems 2 days ago and am anxious to give them a start next spring. If they are as good as the "hype", they should be something. I was disappointed that they ran our of the "treasures" but they sent substitute seeds-I'll give them a try. Now, if I could only get dem perch to bite.
kevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2015   #13
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

I donated, received and grew Garden Treasure, Garden Gem and "New Hybrid". I can't speak to germination (I always overseed and eliminate most). They were very hardy plants that stood up to foliage diseases better than most. They produced very uniform, good looking fruits - no cracking or cat-facing, which I get a lot of because of hot days and very cool nights. They had good flavor - not WOW flavor, but certainly much better than average.

The biggest difference I saw was shelf life, which is one thing I think they were after. They do not go mushy quickly after ripening. They stay firm and seem to me that they would stand up to handling and shipping reasonably well. They also seemed to have a little thicker/firmer walls than most.

It you're growing for the great flavor of fresh picked and grow enough you have fresh coming in daily, they probably aren't for you. If you are growing to have something to sell that looks good, has decent shelf life and beats the pants off the taste of most tomatoes with good shelf life and would stand up to quite a bit of handling, I think they are definitely worth trying.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2015   #14
naseer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, dfollett. That is a very helpful description. I grow a few hybrids with strong yield and disease resistance mainly as insurance against a bad season. But we devote most of our space for discovering WOW flavor, and will tolerate slightly worse yields (though not low yield) as the necessary compromise. Now I have to think about which of these seeds I want to grow next spring now that I have more information.

Thanks, everyone!
Old September 3, 2015   #15
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Would anyone who grew Garden Gem be interested in trading F2 seed (harvested from F1 plants this summer) for something I might have of interest?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote