Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old September 18, 2013   #1
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default How many tomato plants in a 20 gallon container?

I have always just grown 1 indeterminate tomato plant in a 20 gallon container. Would 2 plants be okay?? Any information would be helpful. I guess I could experiment and find out...
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2013   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I routinely plant 2 large and sometimes 3 in a big pot and I like the full way they look. I put them on the deck and they have a decorative purpose to some extent. here's a pic to give you the idea.
I know others would say no but I do it all the time (mind you in a much different climate). They are very thirsty and need a lot of fertilizer keeping in mind two plants need more of everything than one would.

in the first picture, on the left is 2 Pink Berkeley tie dye plants in one pot and on the right 2 Captain lucky plants. The other photo is of my "tomato tree" as I call it. This one has 3 large indeterminate cherries, blush, super snow white and Dr. Carolyn pink all in that pot. Looks like one giant plant with 3 colors of tomatoes on it and it grew to be about 8 feet tall this year.

Long story short, if you are prepared for the extra watering and maintenance it can be done successfully.
Karen O
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1077.jpg (537.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1088.jpg (347.2 KB, 117 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2013   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I would have to defer to K and others who have actually done it. I think her climate may help...and thinking this could not be done in Texas. I have certainly seen and heard of gigantic/productive single plants in 20 gal pots/cans. This is actually my exact plan (20 gal Husky trash cans) for next year. My biggest question: exactly what potting mix (custom or commercial) should I use.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2013   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

GB,
I now routinely put 2 per 20 gallon with no issues. Sub-irrigated Earthainers.
Can't imagine you would have any issues with "regular style" containers other than increased demands for Fert and water as Karen pointed out.

Nice pix Karen.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2013   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thanks James and Ed, I use commercial promix or miracle grow potting mix enriched with compost about 3/4 mix 1/4 compost to start off. I have no issues with bugs or diseases that overwinter here (advantage of a cold climate)so I re-use my mix from year to year and I just fluff it up in the spring and add compost to refill the pots to a couple inches from the top to leave room for watering. I use ordinary pots with drainage holes, nothing fancy.
KO
Old September 18, 2013   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Karen,
Do you add lime? And what is your Fert scheme with that mix?
Right from the get go or is the compost doing the trick until later in the season?
I don't grow like that now but I might!
Old September 18, 2013   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

no, I don't add lime. I add 2 tbsp. Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) per plant at planting time and then again midway through the season and I also use a big scoop maybe 1.5 cups of slow release organic granular fertilizer mixed into the top 2-3 inches of soil and again repeated midseason. it does take pretty much daily watering to keep these big plants going as well. but I enjoy messing around with my plants so I don't mind. Also, I am not opposed to a shot of the "blue stuff" once in a while if they look a little pale it's not usually needed though.
KO
Old September 18, 2013   #8
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Good info. Thank you!
Old September 19, 2013   #9
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Two is ok

I have a plant in a 20 gallon this year that looks like it will yield over 35lbs this season, I have not added up weight where two plants are in a container, but I doubt they yielded more, I have several singles that topped 20lbs. One plant does get huge if you give it space, but two will not reduce yield for that container, but I doubt using two adds any weight either. Maybe put two or three different varieties in one container throughout your space to increase varieties used.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2013   #10
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Margaret Curtain and Tarasenko 6 in 20 Gal smart pots this year. If you are pruning your plants to a single stem you can grow two plants per 20 Gal container. If you are not pruning your plants as I am doing then the answer is no. Supporting an indeterminate plant with large fruits can be a bear in a free standing container without proper support.

Ami