Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 15, 2012   #1
newtraditionsfarm
Tomatovillian™

Default DIY vertical "zip grow system"

http://www.brightagrotech.com/CommercialAquaponics.html

After looking at this system I'm wondering whether it would be possible to reproduce it using 3" PVC pipes filled with another medium, possibly a mixture of perlite and rice hulls or something similar? Holes could easily be drilled in the pipes to accommodate seedlings, and then system could be plumbed using drip irrigation parts, similar to the zip grow system. A trough or large pvc pipe cut in half and placed under the vertically hung pipes and placed at a slight incline to collect the excess nutrient solution and return it to a reservoir where it could be aerated and pumped back through the system.

Any thoughts? I'd love to install a large system like this down the center of my 40' x 100' hoop house for lettuce and greens. Maybe it could even by supported by the hoop house rafter pipes.

Last edited by newtraditionsfarm; December 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
newtraditionsfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2012   #2
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I don't know, I think their system is superior and you can take to market as is, I don't think you could do that with what you are proposing.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2012   #3
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Back in the 80's I worked in a commercial flower breeding and seed production greenhouse. We did something similar. We had long plastic tubes (maybe 7 feet long and 6" dia.) heat sealed on one end and then filled with potting mix. The plastic tube came in a long roll. We would cut "X"s where we wanted the plants to be placed after filling. Rigidity came from the 1x2 furring strip that was then wired (or maybe it was zip tied) to the soil tube.

These were placed in an A-frame configuration in rows down the greenhouse. Watering was down by drip-irrigation spaghetti tube to the top of each.

It was pretty cobbled together but worked great! It was a gorgeus sight to walk into a greenhouse and be surrounded head to toe by flowering vinca.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2012   #4
newtraditionsfarm
Tomatovillian™

Sounds similar to what I'm envisioning! Was it a poly like material or rigid piping? Soil bags of some kind would be much more economical than PVC pipes.

Wonder if these would be feasible? http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...52_109649.html

Only problem I can foresee is that the drip system wouldnt be as effective as with a non-porous material (more evaporation).

Last edited by newtraditionsfarm; December 15, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old December 15, 2012   #5
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

It must have been something like 6 mil plastic. It came on a roll, IIRC, that we cut to the length we needed.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2012   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I've seen several designs in Hydroponic Publications using a perlite/vermiculite mixture or granulated growool being fed by a drip system. Start your seedlings in Rockwool cubes and insert them in the holes drilled into the PVC pipe, to easy. Ami
Old December 15, 2012   #7
davidstcldfl
Tomatovillian™

The zip grow towers do work very well. As Rockporter has already pointed out, that they transport well, as they are.

My friend and I use them. I didn't like to put the plants into them. I guess once you do it several times, it probably gets easier. We wanted to get more plants into them too. So, I changed them some. I ripped them on a table saw and made slits on both sides and used stainless hardware to bolt them back together.

They are pretty light in weight compared to other towers with organic media in them. With Nate's zip towers, we have water dripping through them constantly. With the media towers, we have pumps on timers. Since the media towers hold water, they tend to be much heavier.

We have towers made out of thin walled pvc sewer pipe. The pvc is heated with an industrial heat gun and pushed in to form the pockets. There is an instructional video on you tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pocket towers.jpg (52.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg sandwich towers.jpg (197.6 KB, 137 views)
davidstcldfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2012   #8
newtraditionsfarm
Tomatovillian™

Any suggestions on alternative media that might allow a constant drip system? Would straight perlite hold too much water to be run constantly?
Old December 15, 2012   #9
davidstcldfl
Tomatovillian™

I've never tried just perlite, course perlite 'may' work for constant flow.

If your thinking of using the pocket towers...as the water flows down from one pocket to the next, it tends to be towards the back of the pocket, furthest from the plant. Any media used, needs to have a wicking ability, especially when the plant is young.

You haven't mentioned why your considering constant flow (?)
We use a mix of coir, perlite and mineral wool that comes in 1/4 inch cubes. Even in the heat in central FL, the pump for the pocket towers, only comes on every few hours.
Old December 15, 2012   #10
davidstcldfl
Tomatovillian™

newtraditionsfarm, I went to one of the aquaponics forums that I belong to, and was doing a quick check. Looks like some are trying hydroton or expanded shale. I don't know how well it's working for them...'?' If you'd like to check it out, here is a link to the group that does verticles..
http://community.theaquaponicsource....icalaquaponics
Old December 15, 2012   #11
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

This isn't hydroponic, but the concept is kind of cool. I am starting another batch of lettuces, spinach and basil, and am tempted to do this.

Bottle tower garden
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2012   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Call me skeptical, but I think "commercial aquaponic" is a contradiction in terms. Aquaponics takes more work, more time, and produces less yield. That's the opposite of "commercial." If you're trying to make money, just use hydroponics instead of aquaponics. I really like the concept of aquaponics, but unless you have a worm farm to grow fish food and also free food to feed to the worms, then it isn't commercially feasible.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2012   #13
davidstcldfl
Tomatovillian™

Here's the video showing how to build the pocket towers.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcdtIx1PkS8
Old December 16, 2012   #14
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

There is a local company doing the aquaponic thing and they claim it is profitable and are talking about franchising their system. I talked to them at a local food meeting a few weeks ago, and they're certainly passionate. I may go take a tour next week.

http://www.facebook.com/thelocalgrow

Last edited by Boutique Tomatoes; December 16, 2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Changed link to desktop site.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2012   #15
davidstcldfl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Call me skeptical, but I think "commercial aquaponic" is a contradiction in terms. Aquaponics takes more work, more time, and produces less yield. That's the opposite of "commercial." If you're trying to make money, just use hydroponics instead of aquaponics. I really like the concept of aquaponics, but unless you have a worm farm to grow fish food and also free food to feed to the worms, then it isn't commercially feasible.
Cole, you made some good points. Animal husbandry is involved in aquaponics, of course, it's going to take more time and work.

As far as 'less yield', I'm not sure on what you base your claim ? I do know AP works better then 'dirt gardenig'.
Since I've never done hydroponics, I can't really say 'if' it's true or not. I realize you have 'more control' of the nutrients in a hydro set up. Maybe, that could speed up your total yield compared to AP ?

It would be interesting to set up some vertigrow towers next to each other and do a comparison. On one row of towers, use hydroponics and the other, aquaponics water from a mature system. And of course, use the same coir mix, seeds, ect and see the results.

As far as your statement about having to raise worms and have free food for them, in order to make AP work commercially...
wouldn't one need 'free' hydroponic solutions to make a hydro set up work commercially too?
I personally, have only seen a few hydro set ups large enough to be considered commercial, and their solutions dripped out of the towers, onto the ground.

There is a cost to feeding fish. I know of no one making money on the 'fish side' of aquaponics. Friendly's aquaponics is a pretty well know 'commercial' aquaponics farm. I've read some of their info where they share the 'negative' costs of raising their fish.
Costs can be kept low by having a light fish load. Just raise enough fish to supply the needed nutrients. You already mentioned raising worms...there are other options too.
One does get a ROI on 'part of' the feed cost. I just harvested 18 catfish, weighing between 3 and 4 pounds each. They've been 'feeding my plants' for awhile, and now, they'll be 'feeding me.....

Last edited by davidstcldfl; December 16, 2012 at 01:25 PM.