Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 2, 2012   #1
nuk-su-kow
Tomatovillian™

Default True shallots vs bunching onions

Any allium experts in here? I'm interested in growing "shallots" for cuisine purposes. My google search resulted in a lot of conflicting information. There seems to be only 1 true shallot called French Grey while the rest of the shallot variety are actually bunching onions, or something like that. Anyway if someone has info and could chime in that would be awesome.

Is it true that true shallots don't go to seed, and the only way to grow them is by bulb propagation? From what I understand the bunching onions do in fact go to seed but the true shallots do not.
nuk-su-kow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2012   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I came across this article a few months ago. William Woys Weaver (the author) is a regarded heirloom vegetable authority, so the information is good.

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/ite...llots/page/all
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2012   #3
nuk-su-kow
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
I came across this article a few months ago. William Woys Weaver (the author) is a regarded heirloom vegetable authority, so the information is good.

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/ite...llots/page/all

Thank you for that link. In the article it states:

Quote:
However, shallots, unlike onions, have been developed from clones for such a long time that they have lost the ability to produce flowers. Or, if they do blossom, the flowers are sterile. That’s why shallots must be reproduced by replanting bulbs harvested the previous season.
There have been reports of successful grows from seed as well so therein lies the misinformation/confusion on the internet. I suppose I'll have to try it myself to find out.
Old August 2, 2012   #4
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

Nuk-su-kow Personally I grow the Grey Griselle French shallot. I don't believe they ever produce seed. They are very easy to grow. They are fall planted and reproduce as many as 20 to one the following spring. The word shallot appears not to pertain to a particular species as it is commonly used. It appears to me, that what many refer to as a shallot is indeed a bulbing bunching onion. Why they call that a shallot I don't know. And what they think of or call the French Shallots I also am unaware. So it sort of seems like the word shallot in and of itself doesn't mean too much. You would have to research the characteristics of each and decide which one you want in your pot at suppertime.
Masbustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2012   #5
nuk-su-kow
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Masbustelo. How does the Grey Griselle French shallot rate in terms of taste? Do you like it?
Old August 3, 2012   #6
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

From a culinary aspect they are awesome, if you like to cook they add another layer of depth to sauces etc.
Old August 3, 2012   #7
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masbustelo View Post
From a culinary aspect they are awesome, if you like to cook they add another layer of depth to sauces etc.
You sold me, I just ordered a pound of them......
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2012   #8
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

They are so easy to grow, I started off a couple of years ago with 20 and picked 600 this year. Plant them this fall and pick them in the spring when they fall over.
Old August 3, 2012   #9
KenNashua
Tomatovillian™

Since shallots require good drainage has anyone ever grown them overwintering in potato bags?

Recommendations on where to order the grays?
KenNashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2012   #10
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNashua View Post

Recommendations on where to order the grays?
Territorial Seed is one place.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2012   #11
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuk-su-kow View Post
There have been reports of successful grows from seed as well so therein lies the misinformation/confusion on the internet. I suppose I'll have to try it myself to find out.
Left to their own devices shallots will **generally** reproduce asexually - like garlic. For commercial applications they can be forced to set seed and this is how F1 varieties have been developed. I don't know if there are any open pollinated shallots that can be grown from seed.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2012   #12
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

A little more info here

http://www.southernexposure.com/pere...s-ezp-100.html
Old August 18, 2012   #13
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I've grown shallots for 4 years now. I like them better than onions. Mine do not set seed. I noticed that when planting bigger bulbs in October (fall) I end up with up to 9-10 smaller bulbs come summer. Last year I did plant the small bulb since is what I got and got really decent size bulbs around 4-5 per bunch this year. I am saving the smallest for planting to eat and few big ones to generate seed stock for next year.

Also last year I got few shallots from the grocery store and they went to seed so I guess they are a bunching type onion or F1, they do taste similar to the other shallots. I plan to sow the seed I got in January and see if I get more shallot looking bulbs or onions. Have you tried sowing them in fall???