Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 9, 2012   #1
swinefka
Tomatovillian™

Default Potting Mix for 5 gallon bucket tomatoes

Ok I am just a little confused about something on the mix for tomatoes. Alot of different places that I have read where people grow tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets say the use compost manure as one of their ingredients for their soil is very healthy for the tomatoes and give nutrients that the plant needs. But I have also read that you do not want to use manure compost in the 5 gallon buckets because it retains too much water and will suffocate the roots.
I need to know what is true so I know what to use because I will be transferring my plants to 5 gallon bucket in less than a week and want to get it right. Listed below is what I have right now for mix and this is what I was going to use for the tomoatoes.

Miracle Grow potting mix
Spagnum peat
Perlite
Manure compost in the bags

This was going to be in my mixture for each bucket, so would this be bad or good? And if not good with the compost can I get away with the top 3 instead and at what ratio? Thanks for all of the advice.

Last edited by swinefka; May 9, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
swinefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012   #2
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

what miracle grow?

you talking about soluble fertilizer, potting mix, potting soil or something else?
TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012   #3
swinefka
Tomatovillian™

Sorry Miracle grow potting mix
Old May 9, 2012   #4
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

If you are using Self Watering 5 gallon buckets then you could do this. This is what I do for mine. Composted Manure would definitley hold too much water and it would compact down too much not allowing the oxygen to the roots.

4 parts Miracle Grow potting mix(not Moisture control)
1 part Peat Moss
1 Part Perlite
2 cups Dolomite Lime
2 cups non slow release fertilizer(10-10-10 I buy at Lowe's works great for the tomatoes).

1. Mix the first three ingredients together in the measurements stated until you get a good amount for your bucket to overflowing. Fill bucket about 2/3 full to start and reserve the rest for topping off.

2. Mix in 2 cups of Dolomite Lime to the mix.

3. You can use the Miracle Grow bag(2 Cubic' bags) to make 4 covers for your buckets. Cut the bag down the seam and then across the middle and this will give you four covers. Place the cover on your bucket print side down and make a hole in the middle of the cover by making an X slit in it with scissors for planting the tomato plant. Make another hole for the watering tube. After you have planted you can tape the cover to the bucket.

4. Plant your tomato deeply and then put a ring around the outside edge of the bucket with your 2 cups of non slow release fertilizer.

5. Top off the mix with more Dolomite Lime mixture to make a mounded area in the center and covering the fertlizer strip by about two inches. The mound and the plastic mulch cover will keep the water from getting the fertilizer strip wet when it rains.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 9, 2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added more info to step 3
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012   #5
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

what if not using a self watering system
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012   #6
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I use this same mix in my non self watering containers and have no problems with my veggies growing.

I don't add the fertilizer in a strip and I use slow release ferts instead mixed in the mix according to package ratio. I still mix the dolomite lime in the mix for all seeded veggies. I also don't add a plastic mulch cover but suppose I could and it would stop evaporation from occurring so quickly. Haven't tried that.

Note: The peat moss breaks down making it lower PH, the dolomite lime raises the Ph helping to keep the mix balanced.

Edit: Meant lower PH not higher so corrected the info.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 9, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old May 9, 2012   #7
babice
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm...very good step-by-step advice. Thanks for sharing!
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012   #8
swinefka
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply, I will not use the compost manure then and do the rest according to the steps you gave. And yes I am using the self watering method for all of the tomatoes.
Old May 9, 2012   #9
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Alrighty then, make sure you use a plastic mulch covering over the container.

You can also make your mix ahead of time and moisten it to allow the dolomite to begin it's breakdown before you plant. Leave it in a black plastic bag in the sun to heat it up and cook the mix while you are waiting for plant out of the tomatoes.

Dolomite takes a very long time to break down so the first time you use this mix you will not see as much effect from the Dolomite as you will at the next planting. Add another 2 cups dolomite lime when you plant your second season and every season after it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 9, 2012   #10
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

You are welcome Babice.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 9, 2012   #11
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Here is a photo of my SWC 5 gallon buckets in the background
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZipTiesWithCageCompleteOnEB.JPG (194.8 KB, 168 views)

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 9, 2012   #12
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

last year I grew a medium size beefsteak in a 5 gallon container ... not self watering.
I used strictly MG potting mix... I added some organic fert and a handfull of dolomite to the soil.

beyond that I sprayed on occasion with neptunes harvest fish/seaweed concentrate and added a bit more ferts to the top of the soil about mid season...

it grew well beyond my expectations and produced a large amount of fruit.
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012   #13
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Nice rain barrel

What effect is the lime producing besides raising ph?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012   #14
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter - is that 2 cups of dolomite lime per 5 gal. container or for a larger batch of container mix? For a 5 gal. container, 2 cups seems quite excessive. The Miracle Grow is already pH adjusted, so you just need to neutralize the acidity of the peat and provide some Ca and Mg. I used to follow the 3-year rule for dolomite availability. After speaking to a few agronomists, I am led to believe that, in container culture, you can expect closer to full availability during the first growing season.

Last edited by fortyonenorth; May 9, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012   #15
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Actually, it seems like a lot of lime and fert for a 5 gallon bucket. I would typically use half of those amounts, if using 10-10-10 chemical fert. As it happens I usually use oganic solids, about 1.5 cups for a 5 gallon.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote