Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 5, 2011   #1
tedln

Default Seed Saving Question!

I bought some Mortgage Lifter seedlings this spring and was totally surprised when they produced early and heavily with large fruit that taste great. I decided to save some seed from one of the earliest fruits near the bottom of the plant. I've never saved tomato seed before.

I removed the gel and seeds from the locules and placed it in a Styrofoam cup with a little water. I stirred the mixture vigorously to attempt to break up some of the clumps. I intended to let the mixture sit for about three days until scum or mold formed on the top. Time got away from me and the cup actually sat for about five days. I separated the seed from the liquid and other solids and washed the seed throughly in a strainer and placed them in a Styrofoam saucer to dry after seperating them a little.

I'm curious if five days fermenting instead of three days fermenting may have induced germination in any of the seeds. With the drying process, the possible germinated seed will probably die. Some of the seeds do have tiny white spots at the pointed end of the seed. If I let the seed dry for a few days killing any germinated seed and then put all the seeds back in water separating any floating seed from sinking seed, will that ensure the sinking seed is viable?

Ted
Old June 5, 2011   #2
troad
Tomatovillian™

Ted,
You would probably be better off doing a germination test on some of the seeds.
If they have started to sprout then dried you won't get plants next year. You have time to try fermenting another batch if your first seeds are dead. Better to know now while you have a chance to start over. JMO

Len
Old June 5, 2011   #3
tedln

Troad,

You are right. I'm sure any germinated seed now won't be any good for next springs seedlings. I'm curious about two things though.

1. Is five days fermenting instead of three days fermenting likely to cause pregermination?

2. After the seed is thoroughly dry, will the float test in more water allow or help me separate any dead seed from viable seed?

Ted
Old June 5, 2011   #4
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Fermentation time is temperature dependent. Five days is not a problem if temperatures are about 85F or less. Over fermentation usually causes the seeds to turn brown. If yours are golden, they should be fine, but a quick germination test is a good idea. I think you're fine.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2011   #5
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

If the thing you are selecting for (it sounds like earlyness), and its in their genes. A later collected seed will work just as well.

Collect again.
Old June 5, 2011   #6
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C zone 4/5 View Post
If the thing you are selecting for (it sounds like earlyness), and its in their genes. A later collected seed will work just as well.

Collect again.
I'm saving the seed for all the qualities I mentioned, earliness, high production, good taste.

I'm trying to save seed from one of the earliest, large tomatoes because the blossom pollinated and set fruit before pollinators like bees could cause cross pollination. Because it was a very early fruit set, all the other tomato plants in my garden were just beginning to blossom reducing the probability of cross pollination.

Ted
Old June 5, 2011   #7
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I agree save seeds from another tomato on that plant just to be sure you get the genes from that plant and ferment for only 3-4 days if temps are above 85 which in Texas I am sure they are. Also if possible do not add water but add juice from the tomato into the cup, I think I have read that the water will slow the fermetation process.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2011   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobig_or_Gohome_toms View Post
I agree save seeds from another tomato on that plant just to be sure you get the genes from that plant and ferment for only 3-4 days if temps are above 85 which in Texas I am sure they are. Also if possible do not add water but add juice from the tomato into the cup, I think I have read that the water will slow the fermetation process.

Craig

For me it depends on the variety I'm setting up fermentations for as to whether I do or don't add water.

Most have enough juice, I add all the internal components of a fruit so don't need water, but when it comes to most hearts and most pastes, the flesh is so dense that it's a good idea to add a bit of water, or tomato juice if you have some other fresh fruits around.
Old June 8, 2011   #9
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

@tedIn:
I just wanted to chime in that you've received good advice. You can do a germination test if you want, but you can save seed from any other tomato off that plant. The plant has what you're looking for, remember Livingston. If you don't know what that means and are curious to know just ask. Hint: I think it's important.

@Carolyn:
I've had to do that (use juice from other fruits). And, in my case the juice (and a little strained flesh) was from fruits of another variety. I was desperate having used the last of the seeds of a non commercial variety to grow out the plant I was saving seeds from. Long story involving DW knocking over seeds. She was crying. I was trying to calm her down whilst thinking up a plan of what I could do. Quite a scene to say the least. But, it worked out so all's well that ends well.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2011   #10
tedln

Randy,

I'm not sure if you mean Dr. Livingston in Africa or Livingston the tomato pioneer so I am curious about what you mean.

I started germinating some Mortgage Lifter three days ago and some Black Krim this afternoon. I thought I had everything ready to ferment the Black Krim seed three days ago. I removed the seed and gel from the locules and put them in a plastic cup and squeezed as much juice as possible into the cup. It looked really good until I noticed a lot of liquid on the surface of my work area. The cup had a hole in the bottom. I had to use Carolyns method and borrow some juice from a different tomato variety. They formed a thick mold on top after three days so I finished cleaning the seed and planted some to see if it will germinate.

Ted
Old June 8, 2011   #11
tam91
Tomatovillian™

When I germination tested some seed, I used the baggie/paper towel method - that way, it was easy and fast to see if it germinated.
Old June 8, 2011   #12
tedln

I'm germinating six of each variety in cell packs. That many random seeds should give me a statistical idea of the viability of the seed. If they germinate and grow okay, they will probably be planted to replace a few varieties which will die in the heat. Since Mortgage Lifter and Black Krim are two of my earliest and most productive varieties, they hopefully will perform the same as fall tomatoes.

Ted
Old June 9, 2011   #13
dice
Tomatovillian™

ContainerTed's seed saving guide:
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...g_Fermentation

Victory Seeds seed saving guide:
http://www.vintageveggies.com/inform...ve_tomato.html
Old June 9, 2011   #14
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Ted,

I am referring to Alexander Livingston the tomato pioneer. It was Livingston who made the key observation that to improve tomato varieties save seeds from the plant that acheived the desired results. Up until that point the practice was to save seeds from the most desired fruit regardless of the plant. They didn't get anywhere doing it that way.

In your case if your first saved seeds have germination issues or you don't feel comfortable with them because you left the ferment too long you can still save seeds from other fruit on that plant and acheive your desired results.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote