Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 12, 2011   #1
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Default Mama Mia - What a Tomato!

Piennolo Vine Tomato from Mount Vesuvius PDO

Without a doubt, the cultivation of Piennolo Vine Tomatoes on the slopes of Vesuvius has ancient and well-documented roots. Mentioning only the most famous historical sources, news on this product are given by Bruni in 1858, in its 'Degli ortaggi e loro coltivazione presso la città di Napoli', where he talks about very tasty cherry-shaped tomatoes that can be preserved until spring if hung in the lofts.

Piennolo Vine Tomatoes from Mount Vesuvius PDO.

Production Area
The characteristic production and conservation area of Piennolo Vine Tomato coincides with the whole area of Somma-Vesuvius volcanic group, including the areas sloping down almost to the sea level. In particular, the production area includes the whole territory of the following Municipalities in the province of Naples: Boscoreale, Boscotrecase, Cercola, Ercolano, Massa Di Somma, Ottaviano, Pollena Trocchia, Portici, Sant'Anastasia, San Giorgio a Cremano, San Giuseppe Vesuviano, San Sebastiano al Vesuvio, Somma Vesuviana, Terzigno, Torre Annunziata, Torre del Greco, Trecase and an area of the territory in the Municipality of Nola.

Plants of Piennolo Vine Tomatoes from Mount Vesuvius PDO.
Description
The Vine Tomato from Mount Vesuvius is appreciated both when it is sold fresh after harvesting on the local markets and in its characteristic conservation hung-shape ("al piennolo"), or again as a preserve prepared according to a traditional local recipe and sold in glass jars.

Usually, harvesting is carried out by cutting whole clusters when they are formed by at least 70% of
the ripe vine tomatoes, while the remaining part is still ripening. This ancient practice gives the opportunity to preserve the clusters for the whole winter (seven-eight months) in airy premises and without the support of modern conservation technologies.

Peculiarities
The peculiar features of Piennolo Vine Tomato from Mount Vesuvius PDO are the high consistency of the peel, the strong join to the peduncle, the high concentration of sugars, acids and other soluble solids that make it a long-term conservation product without altering its features. Such peculiarities are deeply linked to the soil and climatic aspects of the geographical area where the tomato is cultivated. In this very particular environment, vine tomatoes are characterized by a top quality.

Red and tasty Piennolo Vine Tomatoes from Mount Vesuvius PDO.
Piennolo Vine Tomato from Mount Vesuvius PDOis an essential ingredient of the dishes of Naples and the region Campania, and can be used in many ways: from seafood spaghetti to the delicious pizza.

Source: parks.it

Publication date: 1/12/2011
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Bark, I think these are the same as what I know as:

Da Inverno a grappoli ( winter grape) and seeds are available if one googles b'c I know I've seen them offered in several catalogs but can't remember which ones.
Old January 12, 2011   #3
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I googled Da Inverno a grappoli and the pictures all show a rounded blossom end while the Piennolo Vine Tomatoes all show a little point, or nipple. Whatever they are those pictures got my mouth watering!

Also, does it look to anyone that in the photo of the field the tomatoes are heavily pruned?
Old January 12, 2011   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

That field is very interesting.

It looks like there may be green stakes holding up the young plants.

I have read suggestions that this tomato may be Principe Borghese, and it does look similar.

Does anyone here have seeds of this variety? It looks like it might be another Peppadew story -- only the finished sauces marketed...
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2011   #5
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

The only cherry that I could find on seed sites that with a pointed end like the Piennolo is Riesentraube. The description of large trusses matches up pretty well too. Maybe?
Old January 12, 2011   #6
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

Anna's Multiflora
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Bark, Tony, there are lots of multiflora varieties, don't we have that thread here? I know it's somewhere where I read and I know I contributed several variety names. But I bought up the one I did b'c it and another one are specifically used in Italy when the plants are pulled up and hung to dry for winter use .

We know Riesentraube by it's German name but it was widely grown in Europe and possibly in Italy and in Hungary the name translates out to "goat's tit" b'c of the nipples at the blossom end/
Old January 13, 2011   #8
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

I have a principe borghese I got in a trade out of europe years ago that I found to be indeterminate, nippled, and really good sized clusters of vine-fast tomatoes, but I never tried hanging them in the basement. Maybe I should try keeping it that way this year.

Kinda looks like they tie the clusters together from the looks of it. I can see the twine.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2011   #9
Toothless_Kitty
Tomatovillian™

Well that's it. I'm moving. Yum!
Toothless_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2011   #10
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

It looks to me like these are definitely clusters of clusters (tied together).

I love Principe Borghese too. The tomatoes and clusters are very long lived. But after thinking about it a bit, I doubt that the tomatoes shown above are the same variety, because I don't think that Principe Borghese holds so fast to the vine.

If anyone does have this variety, I would love to try it. Alternatively, I am willing to go to Napoli on a fact-finding mission. I'll put it on the agenda for the trip to Italy that I am planning for 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinslair View Post
I have a principe borghese I got in a trade out of europe years ago that I found to be indeterminate, nippled, and really good sized clusters of vine-fast tomatoes, but I never tried hanging them in the basement. Maybe I should try keeping it that way this year.

Kinda looks like they tie the clusters together from the looks of it. I can see the twine.

Tom
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2011   #11
bcday
Tomatovillian™

One website I found at http://tasteofsorrento.sorrentoinfo....ennolo_eng.asp has this to say about these tomatoes, and it does seem to state that the clusters are tied together with twine into larger bunches than they naturally grow in. Also note that it says they are harvested before they are ripe and that they have thick skins:

"The typical preservation of these cherry tomatoes is in "piennoli": the whole hunches, called "schiocche", are harvested between July and August before they are completely ripe, then put on a hemp string and tied in a ring, thus making a single large bunch weighing several kilograms that is hung in dry, ventilated places. This system favours slow ripening and makes it possible to have the "fresh red gold" until the spring following the year of cultivation. The long natural preservation is due to the fact that the plants are grown without irrigation and the thick skin, which limits dehydration."
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2011   #12
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcday View Post
One website I found at http://tasteofsorrento.sorrentoinfo....ennolo_eng.asp has this to say about these tomatoes, and it does seem to state that the clusters are tied together with twine into larger bunches than they naturally grow in. Also note that it says they are harvested before they are ripe and that they have thick skins:

"The typical preservation of these cherry tomatoes is in "piennoli": the whole hunches, called "schiocche", are harvested between July and August before they are completely ripe, then put on a hemp string and tied in a ring, thus making a single large bunch weighing several kilograms that is hung in dry, ventilated places. This system favours slow ripening and makes it possible to have the "fresh red gold" until the spring following the year of cultivation. The long natural preservation is due to the fact that the plants are grown without irrigation and the thick skin, which limits dehydration."
Very interesting!
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2011   #13
bcday
Tomatovillian™

The plants do appear to be heavily pruned and I think what looks like green stakes are actually the stems of the tomato plants. The article I referenced above says the plants are grown with supports of wooden stakes and wire. This is also a common way to grow wine grapes so it's a method that would be familiar to Italian farmers. For many gardeners it's also common practice to prune tomato plants to a single stem. In the picture of the field it looks to me like the plants are grown very close together, pruned to a single stem and supported as grape vines would be on wires strung between posts.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2011   #14
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Well, in this close-up picture the Piennola Vine Tomato looks nothing like any cherry tomato I know of:

Situated in Massa di Somma (Italy), at the foot of Mount Vesuvius, the farm Casa Barone of Giovanni Marino was founded over a century and a half ago. Casa Barone is unique, not only because it is the sole organic farm in Vesuvius National Park, but it is among the pioneers in the field of discovery, protection, production and use of local agricultural products from Vesuvian agriculture: valuable fruit and vegetables offered fresh and processed to the market.

Piennolo Vine Tomatoes from Mount Vesuvius PDO.
Old January 14, 2011   #15
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Wow, what an interesting and beautiful tomato. I'd love to grow those - fresh tomatoes hanging around all winter.

Interesting, I saw this on amazon - "The Piennolo tomato variety is the ONLY one included in the Slow Food Ark of endangered foods, our Piennolo by Casa Barone tomatoes the ONLY certified organic tomato of its kind and growing on the Mount Vesuvius slopes since 1944. To add status to status Piennolo tomatoes will soon be given DOP certification and they are one of the very few varieties recommended by the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana ."

I wonder if there's seed out there anywhere?
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote