Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 25, 2010   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Goose Creek is Definitely Pink (pics)

Some history. My Goose Creek seeds came from a plant someone here on Tomatoville sent me, who purchased it at Laurel's in S. California 2 years ago, so I know its lineage is the "real deal". I've run 3 EarthTainer trials this season with 2 Goose Creek each per 'Tainer. One 'Tainer with "Old" Tomato-tone, one with the "New" formulation, and one with Tomaten Dunger that Ami had sent me.

Here is a cluster just picked from one of the Tomaten Dunger plants:

The largest one is approximately 4 inches in diameter. Goose Creek on the "Old" Tomato-tone plants are producing tomatoes about 3 inches in diameter as the largest one, which was "normal" for the past 2 Seasons. Tomato on the right:

I don't know how well the digital camera and lighting are, but I would characterize the skin color as a "Hot Pink" shade. First taste starts off a bit "sweet" like a Momotaro, then wham! it finishes with all of the "bite" of a Brandywine Sudduth...

Still my #1 favorite tomato!

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; July 25, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2010   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Raybo, very attractive fruit and the slices look juicy...did you slober down your chin eating them? ;-)
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2010   #3
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Ray didn't we have a conversation last time I was over at your place about your seed source for GC? I could have swore you said your got your CG plants from Cynthia at Love Apple Farm. I must be losing my memory at the ripe age of 34 . Well where ever you got your seeds/plants from, GC is a fabulous variety. Its in been my favorite this year.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2010   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

dust,

Funny - - looks can sometimes be deceiving. Actually, when doing a back and forth taste test of the Tomaten Dunger and "Old" Tomato-tone samples, I (slightly) preferred the taste of the one grown in "Old" Tomato-tone. It had a bit more "earthy" flavor to it in its aftertaste. Again, both were grown in identical conditions of Potting Mix, water availability, Sun exposure, etc. but I marginally preferred one over the other.

To be sure, the Tomaten Dunger one is larger and juicer - but not quite the "pop" of the Tomato-tone one. I'd be happy with either one however, if stranded on a Desert Island.

Raybo
Old July 25, 2010   #5
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Fantistic looking maters Ray. Keep up the good work.

Happy Matering,

Paul
matertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2010   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
Ray didn't we have a conversation last time I was over at your place about your seed source for GC? I could have swore you said your got your CG plants from Cynthia at Love Apple Farm.
Nope! My Goose Creek plant source from Laurels was actually Vince, who sent it to me a couple of years ago. Cynthia doesn't grow Goose Creek commercially due to lack of seed availability.

Raybo
Old July 25, 2010   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I grew Goose Creek last year and it was a pink. You were my seed source.

One thing I have noticed about Goose Creek photos I've seen in general is that depending upon the lighting and who took the picture, it can be rather hard to tell whether it is pink or red. It *is* on the dark side for a pink, especially when dead ripe. Maybe that is why some people think it is a red??

I also recall that when I attended the '07 Tomatopalooza event, they had the Goose Creek plate in the pinks section, and it seemed to be a pink to me when I looked at and tasted it.

Anyway, what I grew last year had a clear epidermis (so pink), because I peeled off a piece of skin and scraped it down to confirm because I wasn't 100% sure.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2010   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ray, I posted about the fruit color at GW where you also posted this picture.

I can't find it now but there's a long thread here about the color of Goose Creek which came up b'c of seeds sent to Adam Gleckler.

A lot of histroy was discussed from the time that Jimmy Williams first talked about it, where he was selling fruits, which was way beofre Laurel got seeds from him to sell plants, as well as his rejected patent application, as well as someone here who also got a plant directly from Laurel.

All to say that if one looks around that there's seeds out there for Goose Creek and some give pink fruits and some give red fruits.

I think what's most important other than color, is what folks think of the variety.
Old July 25, 2010   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I just replied over there, so won't repost again. Was just trying to clear up any confusion. Stay cool over there. Highs here will be 77 all week.

Ray
Old August 24, 2010   #10
eddie46
Tomatovillian™

My Goose Creeks (got on a trade) are pink and shaped like a vidalia onion. The taste is OK. I don't think I have the real thing. Can anyone tell me where to get true seeds? I don't see any for sale or trade. Thanks,

Ed
eddie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2010   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie46 View Post
My Goose Creeks (got on a trade) are pink and shaped like a vidalia onion. The taste is OK. I don't think I have the real thing. Can anyone tell me where to get true seeds? I don't see any for sale or trade. Thanks,

Ed
Ed, if you read the posts above yours you'll see that both pink and red versions are out there so there's nothing that says your pink ones are wrong.

I know that the GC that was originally grown by Jimmy Williams was a large smooth pink beefsteak b'c I was asked to review an article about his Goose Creek, saw the pictures, knew that's what he was selling initially, and actually contacted a couple of my tomato friends who agreed that there were no pink SMOOTH tomatoes out there given the dates that he gave for the variety.

And as I said above in a post, there was quite a discussion about Goose Creek that followed someone complaining to Adam Gleckler that his pink ones were wrong and there was lots of input and it quickly became clear that GC was pink to start with as sold by Jimmy Williams, but morphed into a separate line of GC that gives red fruits.

So, both pink AND red versions of GC.

Edited to add that you can get the seeds for the pink version at Gleckler Seedmen online which may be different from the pink ones you got via trade,
Old August 24, 2010   #12
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I always expect Goose Creek to be pink.

And the flavor profile of what I tasted at Tomatopalooza V was most certainly a pink. I don't know of any red tomatoes that taste like my favorite pink tomatoes (Earl's Faux, Brandywine). But I've only tasted about 150 varieties so far.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2010   #13
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

My Goose Creek flavor profile has been quite variable due to ripeness and sun exposure. I have two plants going in different areas and for one I actually spit out bites from a couple of fruits they were so bad, and then I went back a while later to see if it was the plant, and the flavor was outstanding again.

Its easy to see how pink GC could have gotten crossed with a red and passed on.

Of everything I'm growing this year, the flavor of Goose Creek was most similar to a very ripe Prue (red), but I agree that the sweetness is more like alot of pinks.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2010   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ-OH6 View Post
My Goose Creek flavor profile has been quite variable due to ripeness and sun exposure. I have two plants going in different areas and for one I actually spit out bites from a couple of fruits they were so bad, and then I went back a while later to see if it was the plant, and the flavor was outstanding again.

Its easy to see how pink GC could have gotten crossed with a red and passed on.

Of everything I'm growing this year, the flavor of Goose Creek was most similar to a very ripe Prue (red), but I agree that the sweetness is more like alot of pinks.
Jimmy Williams was selling the original large pink at Farmer's Markets as I recall, so there are plenty of folks who bought those fruits and saved the seeds.

When Laurel got seeds from Jimmy to offer her exclusive plants there were some who got plants from her initially and the fruits were pink. But eventually she offered red fruited GC plants.

If interested see also the patent application that Williams' submitted and was rejected. I think I linked to it in an above post.
Old August 28, 2010   #15
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Goose Creek for the first time this year (seeds courtesy of Recruiterg).

The Goose Creek I'm growing is a pink, but a fairly "intense" pink, so I can see how there might be some confusion (aside from there being more than one GC out there).

I agree with TZ-OH6, the flavor most resembles that of Prue. I find it a bit more intense than Prue, and much to my liking.

I'm not sure we have the right words to describe that distinctive flavor people have mentioned for Prue and Goose Creek. Ray calls it "earthy." I'd call it almost savory. The Japanese term "umame" has come to mind, too.

Besides Earl's Faux and Brandywine Sudduth, Prue has been another of my "every year" varieties. Added this year are Cowlick's (which I can't really distinguish in any respect from Earl's Faux) and Goose Creek.

Goose Creek is an excellent tomato.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote