Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 14, 2010   #1
k3vin
Tomatovillian™

Default Any other varieties that smell like Sungold?

If you have grown Sungold, you probably can recognize the distinct smell of the foliage. Kind of a Marijuana-ish smell. Are there any other varieties that have this distinct smell?
k3vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

What kind of transplants are you growing inside again? ;-) I guess this explains the psychedelic avatar you painted...
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Sungold for about 5-6 years, but can't say that I've noticed it smells any different than any other tomato plant in 35-40 rotating varieties in my tomato patch. Maybe my nose is less sensitive?

I suppose I could go out and sniff my seedling trays.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010   #4
k3vin
Tomatovillian™

Nope, not growing anything funny here. Marijuana does grow wild around here though. I grew up on a farm, and in certain areas of the pasture it was so thick that grass did not grow. I can't speak for it's suitability for any purpose other than that the long stout stalks make excellent ninja swords.

Sungold F1 is a hybrid, the parentage is as trade secret. Which is fine with me, I don't mind buying a packet of seeds every once in a while. I was just curious if this unique smell was found in any other varieties, possibly even wild type varieties. I'm guessing here that one of sungold's parents might have that unique aroma as well.

ddsack, do you grow the Sungold from new F1 seeds each year, or do you save seeds. For me the aroma of Sungold foliage is stunning and distinct.
k3vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I grow the F1 from commercial seeds, a packet probably lasts me 4-5 years, even giving some plants away. I think the last one was from Tomato Growers Supply Co.

I'll have to give it a rub next time I think of it, and see about the smell.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010   #6
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

I remember the first time I grew Sungold in the narrow side space between my house and my neighbors. I kept thinking my neighbor must be smoking pot! Then I finally realized the odor was coming from the foliage of my Sungold plants.

I have grown Sungold several times since then, and the foliage always smells the same to me. I don't really like this variety very much but kept growing it to see if I was missing something that others saw in it.
Old May 19, 2010   #7
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

my sungolds definitely smell skunky. I just checked it out. interesting.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3vin View Post
If you have grown Sungold, you probably can recognize the distinct smell of the foliage. Kind of a Marijuana-ish smell. Are there any other varieties that have this distinct smell?
I know what you mean. I think Sungold foliage has a smell somewhat like pot. When the foliage is handled, it has a different aroma to me than any other tomato I've experienced. I grow my own from F1 seed, but have also smelled foliage of other people's plants purchased as seedlings.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #9
Frog
Tomatovillian™

I've never grown sungold, but I have noticed varities all smell different. My wife can't smell teh diffence but I can.

I wonder if a police sniffer dog would agree that the Sungold smell is skunky.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #10
travis
Tomatovillian™

Sungold has a unique aroma in my opinion.

I have noticed the same aroma in a few of the crosses folks have made using Sungold but not in any other tomatoes I've grown.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010   #11
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

The scent comes from a wild relative in the family tree, l. peruvianium. l. hirsutum and l. glandalosum have a soapy scent. It appears to be incomplete dominance, but is one way you know you have a true cross back. If you save seed from SunGold and grow out only those seedlings with the scent, they will have the wild genes. I guess that's obvious.
Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010   #12
Frog
Tomatovillian™

Or at least you know you have the gene/s linked to the dopey smell, you'd still have no idea if the saved seed with the dopey smell are carrying any of the other wild genes.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010   #13
travis
Tomatovillian™

Unless the dopey smell is linked to the fruity flavor.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010   #14
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Unless the dopey smell is linked to the fruity flavor.
ROFL!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010   #15
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Wow...now this was an interesting thread to find on a Sat AM! I have to admit to never having noticed that about Sungold, despite growing it annually since the late 1980s and handling thousands of seedlings.....however...

(....he runs out to sniff his Sungold)....

I'll let you know what I find out!