Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 22, 2009   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Does Anyone Use Filtered Water for Their Tomato Plants?

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with filtering the water for tomato plants? I recall reading somewhere that Chlorine in municipal water systems can have a negative effect on plant health. One would also think Chlorine and other chemistries in city water would negatively impact tomato taste as well.

I am going to integrate this Filter into my AWS system this year to see if filtering out all this stuff (or much of it) can improve plant health and tomato taste:

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #2
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray,
I always let my tap water off gas to get rid of the Chlorine. Chlorine will kill off any good bacteria that you have in your soil.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

No, I don't, because like many municipal water districts, mine has switched from chlorine to chloramine, which does not offgas. It can still be treated (aquarium stores have the chemicals), but AFAIK no consumer-priced filtering system will get rid of it.

A few years ago, when the local water district started using chloramine, people who were sensitive to it started lobbying for a switch back. The district says chlorine may produce carcinogenic trihalomethanes, and that every water district that can do so is switching to chloramine.

I attended a class on the soil food web given by Elaine Ingham just before the chloramine switch here, and she recommended not drinking it, so I've been buying water (from the fill-your-own-gallon filtered water stations at grocery stores) since then. (And also, the house has old pipes.) I used to call this stuff "plastic water"!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

But would chloramine still destroy the good bacteria, as Jeff indicates?

I have no choice, as we don't get any rain from May through September, so I need to water the tomato plants with municipal water.

I will also email the Watts Company in Phoenix to get their data on effectiveness in filtering out chloramine. How can I find out if our local water system uses chlorine or chloramine?

Ray
Old February 22, 2009   #5
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

The easiest way to find out if your getting chlorine or chloramine is to call a local tropical fish store.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #6
mvan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.valleywater.org/Water/Wat...rts/index.shtm

"For more information about our water quality laboratory, contact Jim Scott at (408) 265-2607 extension 2119. "

I don't know if that will answer your question or not, but I hope it helps.

Matt

Last edited by mvan; February 22, 2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added quote containing contact info
mvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Matt,

Thanks for the link. Good information there on Monthly Analysis. Our pH averages 7.6.

I guess I need to do some more research on filtration as our Santa Clara Water District's process uses chlorine that ultimately generates chloramine by the time it reaches my home, to see if this Watts chlorine filter will have any beneficial effect:

""Chlorinous
During the treatment process, chlorine is added to water as a disinfectant. Before the water leaves the treatment plant, ammonia is added to form chloramines to keep the water disinfected while it is distributed to homes and businesses. Chloramines may impart a chlorinous, or medicinal, taste or odor to your drinking water. Chloramines, rather than chlorine, are used to maintain a disinfectant residual because they are more stable, form fewer disinfection by-products, and tend to produce less offensive tastes and odors.""

Ray
Old February 22, 2009   #8
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

Set up a multi Rainbarrel system now and atleast you'll have some chloramine/chlorine free water [prior to your dry season] that you can use for some of your earthtainers. I've been collecting snow/sleet and rain in my earthtainers base ... while I figure out constructing a multi rain barrel system. Not a lot of rain in Mid July through Sept 8th but once in a while a nice thunder storm blows in and I'll have the rain barrels to collect that sparce/scarce rain water.

George

Rain Barrel
Video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGFDlkJOdaM
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

George,

We will go about 180 days during the growing season - - without ANY rain. Mountain snow run-off is what the Silicon Valley depends on for irrigation of everything - - no snow pack, and we don't drink (water, that is).

So I do like your rain barrel approach, but one of these would only get me through 3 days of 'Tainer use. So then I've got another 177 days to worry about.

Now, I just need to figure out how best to remove the residual Chloramines from the 'Tainer feed water.

dice - - where are you when we need you???

Ray
Old February 22, 2009   #10
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

The way I water works fine here but wouldn't do it for you due to the extreme dryness of your growing season. I water as little as possible. In a typical growing season, usually 3 or 4 times. In the heatwave of 2007, with 100+ for about 25 days, I watered 7 times. When I do water, I water from the bottom. I laid down a soaker hose when I built my raised bed so it is 16 inches from the top. Hopefully, the wicking action through the soil provides some filtration. The main problem with the water here is that it is very hard; full of calcium. I can't even have a hot tub here and my whole house humidifier needs a filter change twice a season.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #11
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Well Ray you could always go for the Texas size water storage tank that you could have underneath that new greenhouse. They come in 1400 gal to 2500 gal sizes. However you'll need a pump to move that water to the containers.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #12
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Ray, what is your filter made of? Is it a filter (removes materials by passing them through a filter material) or does it remove solutes via adsorption onto something like charcoal?

You won't filter out chloramine if it is a filter. You probably will adsorb it if it has something like charcoal. Maybe it has both.

I would just let the water sit for a few days. Chloramine isn't all that stable. If you haven't noticed a problem already you probably don't have a problem.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #13
natural
Tomatovillian™

Peaceful Valley Farm Supply sells the GardNGro dechlorinator. The following stmt is contained in the product description:

The Gard'n Gro effectively reduces free chlorine or chloramine (a chlorine—ammonia mix) at ambient temperatures and flow rates of 2—3 gallons per minute. Converts toxic-free chlorine into a harmless and soluble chloride using copper and zinc redox media.

I purchased 2 of these last year, but now that I am thinking about it, I have my doubts about the chloramine stmt. I found information relating to chlorine reduction on the Rainshower mfg. website, but NOTHING relating to chloramine. I am no chemist. I do not know if this stmt implies that it converts the chlorine within the chloramine(chlorine-ammonia mix).

I sent an email inquiry to Rainshower Mfg to get further information.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009   #14
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Ruth,

The "active ingredients" in this filter are not listed on the Watts website. Here is the description they give for the filter:

5 Year / 20,000 Gal Ice Maker Filter
Clean, Clear, Great Tasting Water. This NSF certified product is the perfect filter for residential and commercial ice makers.This filter will reduce chlorine taste and odors, as well as lime scale build-up. Filter contains a "bacteriostatic" media that inhibits bacteria growth. Longest lasting certified bacteriostatic filter on the market.

In addition, there is an instruction on the filter that reads: "Run water through for 15 minutes before first use to flush loose carbon particles". I take this to imply that the filter does indeed contain charcoal as a filtering agent, in addition to the fiberous filter materials.

I have emailed the Company requesting both the composition of this particular filter, as well as effectiveness of it filtering out chloramine.

Bill, keep us posted on what you learn from Rainshower Corp.

Ray
Old February 22, 2009   #15
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

BTW, someone just emailed me this re: effectiveness on chloramine:

It's bituminous carbon, it won't touch chloramines. The easiest way to tell, a filter that removes chloramines would be so expensive you would not even be considering it. :-)
I think you're splitting hairs on this one anyway.
Organics destroy chlorine/chloramines almost instantly.
And dirt is organics.
BTW all activated carbons are considered bacteriostatic. The bacteria that culture on the surface of the carbon inhibit the growth of other bacteria.

Ray