Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 23, 2018   #1
Heyyou
Tomatovillian™

Default When are sungold tomatoes ripe

This is my first time growing orange tomatoes (sungold variety). How do I tell when they are ripe? Are they ready as soon as the turn orange or ? Thanks guys!
Heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I don't think so, but then I am a picky tomato eater . IMHO, one should wait until a perfectly-ripe, deep orange Sungold falls off the vine into your hand. THEN it is ready to eat and the flavour is fabulous .

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; July 23, 2018 at 03:18 PM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #3
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

You can tell they are ripe when the birds start eating them.

A medium to dark orange is a good indicator. You can pick them at first
blush and let them further ripen inside... (this works to protect against the birds.)

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #4
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

Deep orange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sungold.jpg (31.6 KB, 129 views)
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #5
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyyou View Post
This is my first time growing orange tomatoes (sungold variety). How do I tell when they are ripe? Are they ready as soon as the turn orange or ? Thanks guys!
Try them at all stages of ripeness (well aside from green)--they change and everyone has a different opinion of peak flavor. When left inside and allowed to get very very orange, I feel they become too sweet and lose that tang I so much enjoy. My favorite stage is probably when the fruit first becomes completely orange.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #6
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Sungold produces so many, try my foolproof method. Go out and pick the ripest one and see how it tastes. If not ripe to your taste, wait until a deeper color. If too ripe, try one more yellow. We all have our preferences.
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Try them at all stages of ripeness (well aside from green)--they change and everyone has a different opinion of peak flavor. When left inside and allowed to get very very orange, I feel they become too sweet and lose that tang I so much enjoy. My favorite stage is probably when the fruit first becomes completely orange.
With the above post I completely agree, try them at different stages of ripeness and see which stage you like the best.

And I'm assuming that we are discussing Sungold F1 hybrid, not one of the OP's that Reinhard in Germany worked with, and some of his are darn good as well.

Carolyn
Old July 23, 2018   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca View Post
Deep orange.
I agree.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I don't think so, but then I am a picky tomato eater . IMHO, one should wait until a perfectly-ripe, deep orange Sungold falls off the vine into your hand. THEN it is ready to eat and the flavour is fabulous .

Linda
I agree.

Worth
Old July 23, 2018   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
You can tell they are ripe when the birds start eating them.

A medium to dark orange is a good indicator. You can pick them at first
blush and let them further ripen inside... (this works to protect against the birds.)

Lee
I agree but I dont have a bird problem so they get ripe on the vine.
Worth
Old July 23, 2018   #11
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

I caught a brown thrasher hopping away with a ripe Sungold this morning! Nine out ten thieving birds prefer ripe tomatoes. I know because they drop the unripe ones a few feet away...
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #12
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I agree to try them at all stages. Mine are part of the driveway 10 and 15 gallon pot
toms. Commuter toms. Pull up at dusk/dark and a driveway flood light comes on. We both
pick and eat a few 'snackers' and I pick a dozen for the tomato bowl I let ripen inside in
AC kitchen.
Hot, humid, and thunderstorms all week...best to pick blush toms in this weather.
We like them firm ripe. If I keep up with harvesting with so much rain, I don't find many
spliters unless I miss a few over-ripe.
Vine-ripe, I call over-ripe, I have a freezer zip-lock I keep adding to. By late September
I'll have 4-5 gallon zip bags for Fall pizzas and what-not frittatas, salsa, etc.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #13
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

I like them best after the last hint of green just disappears. They have good sweetness but still have that nice brightness, without being tart. Dark orange is so sweet i will eat a greenish one after a few to balance things out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
With the above post I completely agree, try them at different stages of ripeness and see which stage you like the best.

And I'm assuming that we are discussing Sungold F1 hybrid, not one of the OP's that Reinhard in Germany worked with, and some of his are darn good as well.

Carolyn
I also agree. Sungold has three different tastes. I call them stages of taste. Stage 1 is where they are pretty firm and have just changed from green. That's the stage my wife likes them in. Stage 2 is what I like most because the flavor seems balanced to me. Stage 3 is when they are fully ripe and are the softest and have a stronger sweet flavor.

Something I have noticed in my 3 years of growing them is that the fully ripe Sungold tomatoes tend to split more after a rain shower.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #15
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Definitely agree with the splitting after rain. I don't have a bird problem but I definitely pull more off the vine before a big rain. (I was almost expecting to see Stage 3 being the 'splitting stage'"

Stage 3 is the only tomato our golden retriever will eat. Had the wife laughing the other day - he will catch and eat Stage 3 Sungold but not even catch Texas Wild Cherry or Austin's Black.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote