Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 26, 2010   #1
HoosierDaddy
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherry Tomato for 2011 season zone 5 and 6

Hello zone 5 and 6ers, what Cherry Tomatoes are you planning for 2011?

After many many years not growing cherry tomatoes, I tried two different ones this season, Sun Gold and Camp Joy. It's early here in Michigan but based on the early harvest, I'll be planting Sun Gold for sure in 2011.
I liked the larger size of Camp Joy but the taste of Sun Gold was soooo much sweeter for me.

I will want to try one or two different varieties and looking for suggestions now rather than procrastinate until late winter and rush to catch up.
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010   #2
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

I have a black cherry in. And one mystery plant that I am trying to identify....it is ripening now and is sooooo good and sweet. From what I have been told about the Black Cherry...it will be brought back again next year.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010   #3
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

So far I have plans for the following Cherries:

Sungold
Black Cherry (or Negro Azteca)*
Green Dr
A Red (possibly Riesentraube)

I've had one Sungold and was very delicious; definite growing this one next year.

*The only other cherry I've had that has ripened yet is a Negro Azteca which is supposed to be very similar to Black Cherry but not as good. I had a taste of one after a week of rain and it was nice, mild flavored, a bit bland but sweet. It had a nice size .5 ounces and was pretty round. I liked the look, and with the right combination of other ingredients I think it will make an excellent salad tomato. With that said, I'm waiting for some Black Cherries to ripen and compare to decide which I will grow.

Green Dr. because I want a "green" cherry.

I'm dehybridizing a grape tomato by accident, and depending on the taste of the two types I will probably grow one of those as my red. Otherwise, I've been eying the Riesentraube tomato as a good red.

Danwigz

PS Additionally I'm trying to grow out an orange saladette (1-2oz as a guess, I forgot to weigh before eating/saving seed) I got from a grocery store mix to see if it is true to type or a hybrid. It was a very nice size 2 bite tomato that had a good flavor. If they ripen in time, and stay true to form I'll probably be sharing seeds if anyone is interested.
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

Trialing lots of cherries this season: Black Cherry, Blondkopfchen, Chadwick's, Champagne, Chocolate Cherry, Brown Berry, Gajo de Melon, Hawaiian, Orange Sundrop, Prize of the Trials, Smarty F1, Snow White, Super Snow White, Sugar Lump, Sugary, Sungold F1, Sweet Orange II in hopes of finding another as good as Sungold. So far, nothing is. Not all have ripened yet as many got a late start this year, but I'll let you know my results asap and you are more than welcome to seeds of the op's if you'd like to try any of them. Sungold was the 1st one ripe and has had nice new orange ones for me to snack on every day since mid June- it's a winner.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010   #5
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

first time for me growing these.
Jaune Flamme nice balance not to sweet
Black Cherry wonderful flavor
Sungold first were tough skin , now perfect
Negro Azacta, still green
Nickoylan yellow, all plants died. very tiny leaves/trunks
dwarfs, Siberian slow growing, Czech Bush sweet tiny, tumbling tom ok weak
Tiny tim very slow growing
Smarty F1 mini roma, ok so far
Mountain Magic still green
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010   #6
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

GREEN DOCTORS!! My favorite cherry and if you like sweet you will love GD!

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010   #7
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

For 2011 Black Cherry, Green Doctors, Blondkopfchen and Brandywine Cherry will be repeats of this year. Sara's Galapagos and Coyote, if you include currants too. I grew Dr. Carolyn this year but have been baffled by its complete lack of flavor, at least so far in the season. Anyone had a similar experience with it?

Also next year, Sungold, Josefina and Gajo de Melon.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010   #8
jeffinjonestown
Tomatovillian™

My fox cherries are doing well here. The plants are indet and seem to grow to the moon, though, which might be a limiting factor. Not sweet like the yellows and darks, but I like more tart tomatoes.
jeffinjonestown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010   #9
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I always have Black Cherry and Snow White Cherry. Both delicious and heavy producers.