Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 22, 2012   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
Charlie Rick was my Genetics 101 professor at UCD and was the one that got me interested in plant breeding. I'm thrilled with all of the folks here at Tville and online generally that are interested in making crosses and doing tomato breeding. It is the inspiration for Artisan Seeds - a venue for buying seed tied directly to small scale breeders or more commonly a collaboration of breeders. There will be a royalty paid to breeders based on seed sales - not a new concept, but one not usually available to non-professionals. We are certainly pleased to have Aaron as a partner.
Mark, would that I were maybe 30 years younger and I know I'd be doing some tomato breeding, but I'm not, so all I can do is to sit back and read about and see the work of others.

But I really wanted to mention Dr. Rick again b/c I remember something about my only chat with him.

In 1992 I received from Norbert in France a variety called Botanique Originale and had no idea what it might be. I put out a couple of plants and it was an absolutely beautiful plant the likes of which I'd not seen before. It was a huge plant with blossoms that looked almost like butterflies, with swept back wings, and they were so very delicate. But, as time went on not ONE blossom set fruit.

Since Craig had interviewed Dr. Rick shortly before that I contacted him about this plant. What a really nice man, and he told me it was probably one of the species that was self incompatible and never would set fruits. Well, that's the first time I learned about self incompatibility.

One of the other varieties I got from Norbert was Dourne D' Hiver and I know you were able to wake up some of the seeds I sent you, and I do wonder if you ever got any seeds from those fruits. As I've said before it was one of the most beautiful fruits that I'd ever seen, small ovals with swirls of all different colors but hard as a rock and totally inedible. Which of course is where your interest was in terms of it having either rin or nor genes.

Just curious about what happened. And I think I still have a few more seeds if need be.
Old November 22, 2013   #17
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Well, after working with them for the past 2 years, I can heartily recommend AP Whaley Seed.

Aaron's company specializes in wholesale seed. His attention to detail definitely shows through in the seed he produces.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2013   #18
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

What is the difference between "Blush" and the "Blush Tiger", as presented at AP Whaley Seed?

Thanks,

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2013   #19
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

That's a good question:

There is no difference between "Blush" and "Blush Tiger". Aaron has added the "tiger" to the end, because there are a series of "tigers" now. But, it is the same old "Blush". Most retail seed companies selling it are calling it simply "Blush".

Earlier in this thread there was mention of a "sunrise tiger" but we have decided not to release that line after all. It had more marbling (more striking color), but it just couldn't compare to Blush in flavor.

On the other hand, Pink Tiger is distinct from Maglia Rosa -- it is a vine, not a bush, and the flavors are a bit different. Maglia Rosa (the bush) is available at www.growartisan.com. It's a great container variety.
Old November 22, 2013   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Well, after working with them for the past 2 years, I can heartily recommend AP Whaley Seed.

Aaron's company specializes in wholesale seed. His attention to detail definitely shows through in the seed he produces.
Fred, I used to know Aaron very well when his father Kent was "removed" from SSE and Aaronr took over. He would send a list of the proposed growouts for the next year and ask me for my input and I also edited the tomato section of the Public SSE catalog.

But he never was happy with making business decisions of the kind one had to make at SSE, what he wanted to do is farm. So I was delighted to see he'd opened a new seed Co himself, even though it was for large commercial amounts of seeds and not for the public.

I keep saying I'm going to go to the website and e-mail him and congratuate him but like many things I keep forgetting to do it.

Carolyn
Old November 22, 2013   #21
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

AP Whaley sells packets now -- as well as large commercial amounts of seed.

I always thought the public SSE catalog during that period was fantastic -- and not just for tomatoes. I wonder how many other experts they took advice from?!
Old December 25, 2013   #22
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

"Blush Tiger" has been changed back to "Blush" on Aaron's site. Thanks Aaron.