Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 5, 2007   #1
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Default Potassium bicarbonate for blight?

I was at Agway today and saw a new product, GreenCure, for blight. It was developed by Dr Horst up at Cornell and since Ithaca is about 30 min from where I was, it makes sense to see the product locally. Has anyone heard of it or have an idea if it works? http://www.greencure.net/what_is_greencure.asp
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2007   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone heard of it or have an idea if it works?

The original formulation that used sodium bicarb did not work on tomatoes or most veggies with regard to fungal foliage diseases. Actually it was developed for use on flowers that are susceptible to powdery mildew and other fungal diseases. Flowers such as Monarda and Zinnias and roses and the like.

I don't know how switching to potassium bicarb would make it that more effective.

I guess the only thing to do is to give it a try.
Old November 5, 2007   #3
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

Potassium Bicarbonate is simply an anti fungal. It has the same practical effectiveness as sodium bicarbonate but without the sodium that could be a concern if allowed to build up in growing areas. Great for roses and their black leaf spot and for powdery mildew on melons, cucumbers and squash plants as well as what Carolyn mentioned.
The tomato blights seem to be systemic in nature meaning it is better to remove infected foliage once it sets in. Preventative sprays such as daconil or immunity building such as seaweed spray can be helpful as well as cultural practices such as mulching, no overhead watering and avoiding handling wet plants.
It is a widely distributed product.

http://www.garden-ville.com/d/4429844_36600.htm