Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 9, 2007   #16
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

And why it was called Red Russian or Russian Red when it was bred in NZ? Is there any connection to Russia?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2007   #17
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

Hi Andrey,
From what I read it was to do with the new (at that time) tomatoes toughness.
Russian Red is very tough compared to most tomatoes.
As you know 1943 was a year when the Russians (and the rest of the USSR) proved to be tough.
.....but then again the breeder may have won money on a chestnut racehorse called "Russian"....
I don't think there is any breeding connection to Russia.
I wish there was a legend that could be told..
Russian seeds smuggled under a postage stamp etc...
Regards
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2007   #18
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to your response, Glenn. I just want to add that such a name (Russian Red or Red Russian) sounds very heirloom to my ears. And regarding its toughness I can say that we have been praising thick-skinned, touth and longkeeping tomato varieties of small and average size useful for pickling and long storage...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2007   #19
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

So was this variety part of the Dwarf Project? Was it considered?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2007   #20
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
So was this variety part of the Dwarf Project? Was it considered?
Hi, Morgan -- Russian Red is a nice variety, particularly good for containers. Taste is good to very good, very prolific, I will definitely grow it again at some point in time. You know I don't generally weigh fruits, but this is one of those ones that is very lg cherry / small fruited. It is mid season, not particularly early. It is also rather large for a dwarf type, easily got to 4.5 feet in a container in a drought year.

No, I don't think it was included as a parent in the Dwarf Project. I like it, but don't see it as a good parent, considering what results we are aiming for in terms of getting med-lg/lg fruited dwarves. Could be wrong, though...
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2007   #21
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I hate to sound like the parrot from the south, but I agree wholeheartedly with Suze after growing Russian Red for two consecutive seasons. Gets to about 5ft in a pot. Good tomato. We breeders can do alot better. Lol.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote