Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 30, 2020   #1
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default TERHUNE

Picked some Terhune tomatoes this morning. Thanks to MeckTom for sending me the seeds. First year growing this variety. It is a "midseason" tomato with potato leaf. Plant is very productive. Fruit is rosy pink when full ripe. It is not a good keeper. It tends to get soft very fast and mussy. Best to eat when picked firm and rosy pink. Has good balance of tomato flavor...more mild to sweet taste than acidic. Had a few leaf yellowing but nothing serious. Will save seeds for next season. I think the plant would do much better in cooler climate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200330_085348_2.jpg (72.9 KB, 242 views)
Gardenboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Grow it here and love Terhune.
Old March 30, 2020   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

My favorite pink beefsteak!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020   #4
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

You MUST try Caspian Pink! It is much better than Terhune. Just my opinion.
Old March 30, 2020   #5
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

I agree with you Douglas!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
You MUST try Caspian Pink! It is much better than Terhune. Just my opinion.
Tried it- definitely not better here.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2020   #7
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I have 4 blocks of Terhune, we'll see how it does. I'm only 30 mi or so from Kath. How is this pronounced? TUR HOON ?
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2020   #8
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

The reason it may do better up north is because it was found on an old homestead near Minneapolis. I believe I was 1 of the first to have seeds from darwinslair who found it. The following year he gave it to Carolyn for her seed offer. It was named after the family of the homestead. TomatoBase has the full story.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2020   #9
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Okay, read that, thanks. Similar/possibly Pink Brandywine? Brandywine doesn't usually set well for me (always tried it in backyard CRW cages), and ends up with a lot of shoulder rot/waste. Taste great but low production for me, and I consider Brandywine about as local as it gets. But if the seedlings are strong I will probably plant a few. Last Brandywine try was probably 2016.

Carol, are you growing Terhune this year? Is it a regular for you?
Old April 25, 2020   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I grew it for 2-3 years and it never did well and flavor did not impress me. The seeds I got were from one of Carolyn's offers. And yes, they were named for the couple that bought the home where they were found.

The story is that the old woman who owned the house never got to harvest her last crop and there were still tomatoes hanging on the vines in the yard when it went on the house went on the market. The real estate agent picked one, saved the seeds and grew it out, then named it after the buyers.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I've grown it several times and it does decent for me. Not this year tho as I have to rotate what gets grown depending on what I need for new seed.

If you have problems with Brandywine, have you ever tried 1 of the named Brandywines ?? Personally the no name Brandywines do terrible for me. But when I tried Sudduth, it was like nite and day. So now I only grow 1 of the named Brandywines.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020   #12
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Wi-sunflower;755488

If you have problems with Brandywine, have you ever tried 1 of the named Brandywines ?? Personally the no name Brandywines do terrible for me. But when I tried Sudduth, it was like nite and day. So now I only grow 1 of the named Brandywines.

Carol[/QUOTE]
My first attempt at Brandywine was from seeds purchased from the late Chuck Wyatt and it was Sudduth. He also sent me a few seeds of Joyce's strain. I was so new to growing from seed I could not tell the difference, but both did very well for me. I agree that the "no name" Brandies are not worth the effort. Terhune must be in the Brandywine family somehow.
Old April 26, 2020   #13
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I think my original Brandywine Sudduth seeds came from Carol, and I have had good luck with them, even though they ripen closer to the end of the season here. I also like similar pink potato leafed like Terhune, Earl's Faux, Tiffen Mennonite, and Rebel Yell.

ddsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020   #14
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Well...I guess the BW seed I have always used was saved originally from a Bonnie plant. I tried a BW Sudduth from a swap seed pack, maybe 2-3 years back, but they didn't germinate.

Hopefully these Terhune come up and do well. I passed along some of these seeds over the winter, someone out west wanted to try them as well.
Old April 27, 2020   #15
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

I have PLENTY of Terhune tomato seeds if anyone would like to try them.