Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old January 8, 2007   #16
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

We need you there! That would be fantastic to show up on a Triumph motorcycle with bags full of maters.

I guess the big question is, will Father's Day weekend be extra busy and will picking that weekend preclude anyone from coming?

Depending on how many people rsvp, I'm going to make an 8 lb roast for pulled pork and of course we can do chicken legs, hamburgers, etc. as well. And of course, I'll make my greek tomato salad.

Me excited?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old January 8, 2007   #17
foolcontrol
Tomatovillian™

Me too.

Maybe we should just bring Bacon, Lettuce and Bread or Basil, Olive Oil and Fresh Mozzerella
Old January 18, 2007   #18
foolcontrol
Tomatovillian™

Lots of people coming from DG.
Old January 19, 2007   #19
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Suze and I talked on the phone for quite a while. Was great to talk to her.

One of the points she made, which I am inclined to agree with, is that the core group should be tomato gardeners and their close friends and family. I see it as an opportunity to get to know our tomato-growing neighbors in this region and as a family event with a hot lunch and people sharing knowledge. For food and service planning, I am pretty sure the event will be RSVP.

Maybe in a few years, we'll be able to handle a crowd of people who just want to taste or eat tomatoes, but I don't think we are equipped to handle a huge crowd our first year. If we do an "open" event, then I think we will have two groups -- Growers and Visitors -- and have the morning reserved for setup and chit-chat and time for people to trade gardening tips, and then a predefined time when tasters can show up and ask questions and get advice.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old January 19, 2007   #20
foolcontrol
Tomatovillian™

Everybody from DG that said they are coming are tomato growers.
Old January 19, 2007   #21
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolcontrol
Everybody from DG that said they are coming are tomato growers.
Right (with one exception); I'd just like to be careful in using the word 'tasting', for reasons that Morgan mentioned.

I also want to be low key at this point in mentioning it too much on other forums until we are able to work out some of the final details here on Tville.

I'd love to have the tomato growers on DG attend!
Old January 19, 2007   #22
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Just to throw my .02 in here as one who has seen both
ends of the spectrum.
Tomatopalooza is a "everyone welcome, come taste, bring maters if ya have 'em" event. We get well over 100+ people from all over and have had 140+ and 190+ different varieties to taste the past two years.
I personally have started these 1pm events at ~11am and went non-stop to 4pm with various organizational details that preculded a more relaxed enjoyable tasting/socializing.

CHOPTAG, while everyone is welcome to this event as well, is much more of a close knit group of individuals. When I went in '05, there were about 25 people with 140+ varieties and was a very relaxed tasting/socializing event.

So, what's my advice.... if you have enough individuals included in the organization of the event, you can do a come one come all type of tasting. However, you (the organizers) won't get to do as much socialization as you may like.
Thus, I would recommend starting out fairly low key and taking it from there in future seasons.

And even though Tomatopalooza will be celebrating its 5th anniversary this year, I suspect Craig and I will tone it down from the past two years, so as to make it a little less of a stress event....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old January 19, 2007   #23
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Lee,

You don't know how much we appreciate any and all advice from a veteran tomato festival organizer!!

So are we any closer on a name?

Old January 19, 2007   #24
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Lee! Yes, your input is much appreciated.

Morgan, nothing on your list really grabs me, but then I haven't come up with anything better. Or anything at all, really. :razz: IMO, probably something on your list would be great with just a little tweeking. I just haven't had the time or really even the creative focus (due to some work projects involving a lot of writing) to brainstorm much about it lately.

My primary concern right now is to start working towards a final location.

I think the 16th of June is probably good for a date.
Old January 24, 2007   #25
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I'm know I'm currently based more than a fair distance from "y'all"...lol...more like about 1600 miles. But I'm planning on being in the Houston/Sugar Land and San Antonio area from about mid June to the first week of July. I'm looking at relocating down your way. I've been growing heirloom tomatoes and other veggies here for a few years and can definitely say I'm addicted. It would be great to connect with some people while I'm down there so I know what to expect when it comes to growing tomatoes etc. in SE Texas. I'm willing to prepare food, but I'm not sure I'll be able to bring any tomatoes from home. (They are getting really sticky about that at the border.) I realise you're wanting to limit attendance to those that are growers and not just tasters, but can a Canuck crash the party?
Old January 25, 2007   #26
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana
I'm know I'm currently based more than a fair distance from "y'all"...lol...more like about 1600 miles. But I'm planning on being in the Houston/Sugar Land and San Antonio area from about mid June to the first week of July. I'm looking at relocating down your way. I've been growing heirloom tomatoes and other veggies here for a few years and can definitely say I'm addicted. It would be great to connect with some people while I'm down there so I know what to expect when it comes to growing tomatoes etc. in SE Texas. I'm willing to prepare food, but I'm not sure I'll be able to bring any tomatoes from home. (They are getting really sticky about that at the border.) I realise you're wanting to limit attendance to those that are growers and not just tasters, but can a Canuck crash the party?
Hey, I know you -- I've seen your posts over at Garden Guides.

Sure, you're welcome to attend! One of our possible concerns was to *not* inadvertently open ourselves up to a no holds barred public tasting, if you know what I mean. I'm just not sure I/we can or want to handle that our first year.
Old January 25, 2007   #27
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Texas mater tasting june 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudleafwillie
How about S.W.A.T.T. , SouthWest Area Tomato Tasters for a name as there will be people coming from TX, NM and possibly other sw states besides TX.
I like it! Morgan, FoolC (and others), what do you think?

And the get together would be called SWATTFest, I guess

SETTFest - South East Texas Tomato Festival is another one we were considering.

Glad to hear you're coming, Bill.
Old January 25, 2007   #28
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana
Hey, I know you -- I've seen your posts over at Garden Guides.

Sure, you're welcome to attend! One of our possible concerns was to *not* inadvertently open ourselves up to a no holds barred public tasting, if you know what I mean. I'm just not sure I/we can or want to handle that our first year.

LOL...I was wondering if you'd make the connection, Suze. Especially since it was your post on Garden Guides that allerted me to this site. I have no idea why I missed it in all my online "tomato surfing" research. But hey, better late than never. Thanks for the heads up, Suze! I'm definitely warming up to Tomatoville....great bunch of people and lots of good info to be found here. Do we ever stop learning....or searching out new varieties (to our selves) to try?

I think I'm just beginning to grasp the concept of being able to plant out tomatoes outside in Texas when I'd normally be starting seed up here. Or that I can get two crops in....hmmmmm. Might end up being 3 crops if I play my cards right and spend my summers at home here in Canada. LOL :wink:

I'll have to see if I can get some plants started/planted down in Texas when I'm there in March. Then I might be able to bring some with me for taste testing. But that means getting my sweetie to water and care for them when I'm not there. LOL.....dunno if he's up for the challenge.
Old January 25, 2007   #29
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Texas mater tasting june 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudleafwillie
How about S.W.A.T.T. , SouthWest Area Tomato Tasters for a name as there will be people coming from TX, NM and possibly other sw states besides TX.
I like it! Morgan, FoolC (and others), what do you think?

And the get together would be called SWATTFest, I guess

SETTFest - South East Texas Tomato Festival is another one we were considering.

Glad to hear you're coming, Bill.

Just my $.02 worth...but anything with "fest" in it works for me.

I come from a very German / Amish mennonite settled community. We're home to the largest Oktoberfest outside of Munich, Germany. So "festing" is definitely in my vocabulary and idea of a good party. LOL Ein Proesit!
Old January 25, 2007   #30
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

or simply SouthWest Tomato Festival.