Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 30, 2011   #1
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Default odd garlic growth weather related?

I have grown chesnock red garlic for several years successfully, and always before have seen spathes on most of the plants. This year I have seen zero flowers on a couple of hundred plants, and the few I have pulled have single, large bulbs (not the usual cluster of cloves.) I know garlic has several growth habits in wild plants, presumably to assure survival in harsh and unpredictable conditions, but I've never seen more than a few like this in any one year. Anybody know if this is usual in odd weather years like this one? Dave
davespitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2011   #2
henry
Tomatovillian™

cold stratification of the garlic likly did not happen, did you have a warmer winter then normal?

henry
Old June 6, 2011   #3
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Actually it was colder, longer, and wetter than usual. I planted in mid-October and had excellent emergence, and the plants overwintered without incident. They just didn't mature as they normally do, although once I pulled them they were better than I thought they would be. They are still very moist, though, and I am trying to dry them ASAP.
I'm not familiar with the term 'cold stratification'. Could you explain that to me, please? Thanks, Dave
Old June 6, 2011   #4
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Found a wikipedia on cold stratification, interesting term. Where I live the summers get to over 100°F, and I have a hard time keeping things cool enough to survive the heat. Last summer a fair amount of my garlic went bad before I could use it, and that may have affected the bulbs I kept for seed, although they looked fine when I planted them. But as I said earlier, they emerged fine and survived the winter apparently in good shape.
This year I am building a straw bale 'root cellar' under an oak tree, hoping to beat the heat, and I am going to research the possibility of more heat-tolerant varieties. Dave