Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 7, 2009   #1
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Default 2009 Pepper Round Up

What started out at my garden to be a fun and interesting season ground to a halt in May when my beloved Matilda, my Aussi/lab mix was diagnosed with lymphoma. Didn't get back into the garden much until mid-July. Luckily. peppers are hardy beasts for the most part, and with a little TLC and some serious weeding, the garden has had a strong finish this autumn. I didn't get much bagging done to save seed, but luckily most of the varieties I grow are available commercially as seeds or plants.

Then the first week in October my house was robbed. They took my computer, which I hadn't backed up since about February. Yeah, I know, I know, you should back up your computer every 3 to six months, depending on how much data you have stored. I'm usually pretty good about backing up my My documents folder, but this was not a usual year, and I just didn't get to it. So, no garden notes, no pictures, this year's round up is just me mostly winging it from memory.

Ok, ordering by placement in my garden map, here are the peppers that were new to me this year.

1. Aji Rojo: I really wanted the baccatum variety of Aji Rojo. Instead I ended up with the chinense variety from two different vendors. The third was also a chinense that I deliberately ordered to compare to the baccatum. So, the chinense version was a medium to tall plant that produced an abundance of hot red peppers. To me the peppers always tasted a bit green, they never developed the full sweetness of some hot peppers. They have held up well under the cool conditions these last few weeks, no leaf drop, and the leaves are still green and healthy. I will go after the baccatum again next year.

2. Aji Angelo: (C baccatum) This was supposed to be a medium heat peppers, but I found it to have very little heat. It was a very tall, over 5 feet, productive plant. The peppers have medium thick flesh have a nice typical baccatum flavor. It's been very unhappy with the cool fall weather, the leaves have become pale and are dropping. I'll probably grow this one again next year, depending on space.

3. Queen Laurie: Billed as one of the hottest baccatums, it came through on the heat. I didn't think it had much flavor though. It's a very tall plant, over 5 feet, and was a late producer. It does not like the cool fall nights, and is dropping leaves. I won't grow it again.

4. Kaleidescope: (C baccatum) A plant that is bushier than it is tall, and was covered in bright red peppers that had little to no heat. Very nice baccatum flavor. It's been tolerant of the cool weather, but is not setting new fruit. I will grow this one again next year.

5. Guyanna: ( C baccatum) My favorite new pepper of the season. A short bushy pepper that produces 3 to 5 inch slender yellow/gold peppers. The tip of the pepper has mild heat, but it gets warmer as you go up. Great, great flavor, it's the flavor that grabbed my attention. I didn't know it was going to be so short, and unfortunately planted it behind the Aji Angelo and Queen Laura plants. Next year I plant to put a couple in containers. It's completely shaded right now, so I can't really tell if it's the weather or the shade that's making it unhappy. Top of the grow next year list.

6. Hawaiian Sweet Hot: (C annuum) This was a moderately productive plant that was about 2 feet tall. It was a nice enough hot pepper, but not really much different from dozens of other 1 to 2 inch red peppers. Probably won't grow it again.

7. Adalberto: (C chinense) A fun, small, very hot apricot/orange, twisty habanero. It was a tall plant, over five feet, and covered in clumps of peppers at each node. Too hot for me to munch, but good for salsas, stir fries, and poppers with plenty left over to share with friends. It's leaves have gone a little pale with the cool nights, but it's still setting fruit. I'll grow this one again.

8. Pimento Di Espelette: (C annuum) This plant was not happy with the early neglect. What few peppers I have gotten I've been drying for paprika. I'll probably grow it again to be fair, but I'm not impressed so far.

9. Tunisian Baklouti: (C annuum) One of the reasons I have doubts about the Pimento Di Espelette is that it was growing next to this plant. Very vigorous plant that produced a steady flow of 4 to 5 inch tapering pods. The skin was a little leathery, so I've been making paprika out of them. Everyone I have given some to have given it a thumbs up. I'll probably grow this one again.

10. Yellow Pimento: (C annuum) This plant suffered from the neglect, it was covered with aphids, and looked appalling, but it kept popping out bright yellow sweet pimento peppers. Why it became so infested with aphids while none of the peppers around it did, I don't know, but I think I might put it in a container next year and see if it's happier.

11. Tomato pepper: (C annuum) I only got a few peppers off this plant, but it wasn't it's fault. It was stepped on by a neighbor whom I invited in to pick some peppers. The ones I got I stuffed and grilled, and they were pretty good.

12. Aji Panca: (C.chinense) Tall, floppy plant with long, mild, thick brown peppers. they had a berry-ish flavor, but you had to wait until they were fully ripe. It's thriving despite the cool weather, but not setting fruit. I'll give this one another try next year.

13. Zavory: (C.chinense) Mild habanero-type that grew to about 2 feet tall. It was a late producer, but is covered with peppers right now. It's has almost no heat, and a pleasant taste. I think there are better tasting mild habs. I probably won't grow this one again.

14: Permavelha: ( C annum) A compact plant that produced lots of gold butternut squash shaped peppers in waves. This was a huge hit with my friends, in part because they were just so darned cute. They were very hot and tasty, too. It's doing well in the cool weather, and I'm thinking of digging it up to over winter, and I will grow it again.

15. Ethiopian Brown: (C baccatum) Very similar to Aji Panca, but a smaller plant. Probably won't grow it again.

16. Cherio Recife: This plant suffered from the neglect, and hasn't done much yet. It's finally got some green peppers on it, but I don't know if they'll ripen in time or not. Probably won't grow it again.

17. Bolivian Habanero: (C chinense) Medium/tall. productive red habanero-type. The peppers are very large, but not as hot as some of the more traditional habaneros, which is a plus for me. It's handling the cool weather well. I have one in a container and will overwinter it.

That was all the new varieties I tried this year.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2009   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Peppers I have grown before:

1. Pimiento De Chiero: (C chinense) Evil yellow jelly beans with a unique flavor. It's one of my favorites, and a favorite with most my friends. The flavor is such that when people like the taste, they *really* like it; but a fair number don't care for the taste. It's still producing and isn't much affected by the cool nights.

2. Limon (C chinense) Always the first chinense to ripen in my garden, these are sizzling yellow and thin skinned peppers with a touch of citrus to the flavor. A heavy frost is about the only thing that stops this pepper.

3. Melrose: (C Annum) Sweet Italian frying pepper that produces early and often. No longer setting fruit in the cool weather.

4. Lemon Drop: (C baccatum) Hot yellow peppers with crisp lemony tasting flesh. Very hardy and productive, really brightens up stir fries and salsa, and they're easy to seed and prep. Can't be without a Lemon Drop plant.

5: Bishop's Crown: (C baccatum) A goofy looking pepper that's fun to grow and share. Everyone should grow it at least once. It does not like the cool weather, the leaves are getting pale and dropping off. Still going strong.

6. Tangerine Pimento: (C annum) Sweet orange pepper with classic thick pimento-type flesh. Does not like the cool weather.

7. Giant Marconi: (C annum) Wonderfully sweet, large, red peppers. I love these. Still trying to produce in the cool weather.

8. Fatalii: (C chinense) There was an oops this year. I ordered a Grenada Seasoning, but from the heat, this has to be a Fatailii. Nice flavor, but more heat than I can really handle. The plant still looks good, but it isn't setting fruit.

9. Sheepnose Pimento: (C annum) Another wonderful pimento pepper. I like these so much more than bell peppers. The plant looks ok, but it is not setting fruit in the cool weather.

10. Dedo de Mocho: (C baccatum) The second baccatum I tried. Medium heat red peppers with that fruity baccatum flavor. Very productive in the summer, but doesn't like cool weather. It starts dropping leaves when the nights go below 50F.

11. Chaco Yellow: ( C baccatum) This is sold by the Chilewoman as C chacoense, but it's clearly a baccatum. Small bullet shaped orange peppers that are spicy and have that classic baccatum fruity flavor. The plants get very large and bushy, and produce continuously. The only think I don't like is that the fruit doesn't hold well. Today they're ripe, and day after tomorrow, they're overripe. I feel like I waste a lot of these peppers, but there it's so productive, I don't miss them. Doesn't care for cool weather.

12. Pilange: (C baccatum) One of my favorite, very productive and hardy plant. The peppers are medium heat and shaped like tiny, red, flattened pumpkins. I love stuffing and grilling them. The year I threw a hoop house up over the garden, this is the pepper that did the best. It kept trying to set fruit all winter.

13. Brazilian Pumpkin: ( C baccatum) This may be the exact same pepper as Pilange. I can't tell any difference.

14. Corno Di Toro Red and Yellow: (C annum) My very favorite sweet pepper. They're just delicious. Not setting fruit in the cool weather.

15. Trinidad Perfume: (C chinense) Very productive, very tasty mild yellow hab-type. It's one of the best seasoning peppers I've ever grown. It's still setting peppers.
Old November 7, 2009   #3
paprika
Tomatovillian™

Hey Blue,

Thank you for that great indepth end of season pepper report! There are a few that we both grow, but some are now beyond my heat tolerance these days. (I use to win hot pepper eating contests, even in Mexico, in my 20's, but the the next 30 years have made me weary of sitting on a bowl of icecream for the next few days afterwards <grin>!)

So, after more personal anatomical information than you ever wanted, I'm always in search of good sweet/spicy peppers and would value your input. To give you a reference point; I favor Beaver Dams, Krimzon Lee Paprika, Balloons, New Mex Joe Parker, etc,. I still enjoy my Jalapenos(4 types), anchos, cayennes, serranos, etc,. for grilling, and smoked chili powder, but still in search of the ultimate sweet/spicy to sweet/medium peppers. Any suggestions?

As far as just sweet... I agree that the Giant Marconi is hard to beat for fresh, stuffed, smoked, and on the grill! I also like Sweet Pickles, Red Marconi, Corno Di Toros, Blushing Beauty, Napoleans, Jimmy Nardellos, Burans, Romanian Rainbow, and Ashe County Pimento.

Have you perchance grown any Boldog,Bullnose, Wrinkled Old Man,Tomato,Hungarian Spice Paprika, or any of the others that are suppossedly sweet and spicy? If so what are your thoughts on flavor?

Thanks,

TimothyT
PS What does "Evil Yellow Jelly Bean" mean?
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2009   #4
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Don't give up on the Pimente de Espellete. This is the second year I have grown it and it is the best producer for me. Last year was horribly wet and cool, while this year we broke records for heat, and under both conditions it did very well. I also grew Aji Panca in a pot and it did very nicely. The other monster producer was Aci Sivri, a Turkish cayenne pepper.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2009   #5
ShowmeDseeds
Tomatovillian™

Great thread!. As much as I love tomatoes, I can't imagine gardening without peppers. And in late autumns such as this one--I haven't had a frost here yet in my part of southern Missouri, my pepper plants always seem to produce better than my tomato plants.

Blueaussi, I haven't grown any of the baccatum varieties before. Can you recommend a good commercial seed source for these, or is it best to request a private trade if I figure out which varieties I would like to try?

Paprika, I met the ghost of Montezuma myself while eating hot peppers in Mexico, some years back.

Two of my favorite mildly hot peppers are the Chimayo Chile, and the Ancho/Poblano, both fairly easy-to-find C. Annums. The Ancho/Poblano plants love hot summers, and the Chimayo Chile comes on strong in the fall when the weather cools off a bit. Each has a very distinctive flavor, and both are greatly enhanced by roasting.

Stuart
ShowmeDseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2009   #6
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Stuart,

I would recommend both Pepprmania and Tomato Growers Supply as good sources for chilis. If you are looking for something unique try the Seeds Wanted Thread.

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old November 8, 2009   #7
ShowmeDseeds
Tomatovillian™

Alex,

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I hadn't heard of Peppermania before--it looks like a fine small seed company.

Stuart
ShowmeDseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2009   #8
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprika View Post
Hey Blue,

Thank you for that great indepth end of season pepper report! There are a few that we both grow, but some are now beyond my heat tolerance these days. (I use to win hot pepper eating contests, even in Mexico, in my 20's, but the the next 30 years have made me weary of sitting on a bowl of icecream for the next few days afterwards <grin>!)

Oh yeah, the infamous Ring of Fire. Been there, singed the toilet paper.

Quote:
So, after more personal anatomical information than you ever wanted, I'm always in search of good sweet/spicy peppers and would value your input. To give you a reference point; I favor Beaver Dams, Krimzon Lee Paprika, Balloons, New Mex Joe Parker, etc,. I still enjoy my Jalapenos(4 types), anchos, cayennes, serranos, etc,. for grilling, and smoked chili powder, but still in search of the ultimate sweet/spicy to sweet/medium peppers. Any suggestions?

I'd try some of the baccatums, like Dedo De Mocho, Pilange, or Guyana . Most baccatums have this really nice fruity taste. Some of the C chinense seasoning peppers might interest you as well. Trinidad Perfume has a, well, not sweet flavor, but really tasty nonetheless. And of course, Almapaprika, which I left off my list (along with the Cherry chocolates.) If you decide to try the Almapaprika, let them get ripe. They take forever because the flesh is so thick, but your patience will be rewarded when you bite into a bright red one.

Quote:
As far as just sweet... I agree that the Giant Marconi is hard to beat for fresh, stuffed, smoked, and on the grill! I also like Sweet Pickles, Red Marconi, Corno Di Toros, Blushing Beauty, Napoleans, Jimmy Nardellos, Burans, Romanian Rainbow, and Ashe County Pimento.
Bell peppers don't grow very well around here without some spraying, and I try to do as little of that as possible. I've found I much prefer the pimentos and Italian peppers, anyway.

Quote:
Have you perchance grown any Boldog,Bullnose, Wrinkled Old Man,Tomato,Hungarian Spice Paprika, or any of the others that are suppossedly sweet and spicy? If so what are your thoughts on flavor?
I've grown Boldog Hungarian Spice, but it was a few years back, and I can't access my garden notes from then until I get my new computer, my sister loaned me her old one until my new one gets here, and I don't want to load it up with a ton of stuff. I grew Tomato Pepper this year, it's in the notes for the new peppers.

Quote:
PS What does "Evil Yellow Jelly Bean" mean?
http://www.chileplants.com/search.as...Button=Pressed
Old November 8, 2009   #9
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by velikipop View Post
Don't give up on the Pimente de Espellete. This is the second year I have grown it and it is the best producer for me. Last year was horribly wet and cool, while this year we broke records for heat, and under both conditions it did very well. I also grew Aji Panca in a pot and it did very nicely. The other monster producer was Aci Sivri, a Turkish cayenne pepper.

What did you think of the flavor of the Pimente de Espellete?

ShowmeDseeds, I second the vote for Peppermania. Great folks there, and they do have a nice selection.
Old November 8, 2009   #10
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Blue,

My Pimente de Espellete flavour is hard to describe. Not sure if it has any really distinguishing features;the heat is moderate and I grind the peppers to use as a powder to add heat.

Bob Dylan
Old November 8, 2009   #11
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I just put the PepperBox section of my software in the Free Software thread over in General Discussions.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2009   #12
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Blue,
Nice report especially since it was from memory! My list of peppers is much shorter than yours.
~The illegal pepper that I really didn't grow got pretty tall for two of them together in an pot, almost 3'. They did start to lose leaves when the weather got cold. I wish I noticed sooner, but they are inside now and hopefully I can successfully overwinter the plants since they took so long to start making peppers. The peppers have a nice flavor with a bit of heat. I like them. This is the first baccatum I've tried.

~Korean Dark Green performed well as usual. It is a Kim Chee pepper. The plants are short and bushy with dark leaves. They take awhile to make peppers, but then all of the sudden it is loaded. The peppers hang down and look very pretty on the plants. I've grown them a few times, but I've never tasted this pepper fresh. I'm afraid to try. I let them dry and save them for my husband to make Kim Chee and other dishes that need hot pepper.

~Beaver Dam didn't make a ton of peppers, but I really like the taste. I eat these fresh in salad so they have the right amount of mild heat for me. I think it did better a couple years ago with hot summer weather.

~Banana Bill. I grew this since I had free seeds from a few years ago. THe plants were very productive, but the flavor was nothing memorable.

~Purple Beauty bell pepper. It was early despite the cold weather so I really like that.

~Fenton Red. This was seed I saved from a local farmer. I was hoping to get an elongated sweet red, but the peppers were regular bells.

~Early Niagara bell pepper. It did ok, but I think it did much better a couple years ago in the heat.

What mild habernero types do you recommend?
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop

Last edited by remy; November 8, 2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Frogot to ask a question
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2009   #13
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Remy, I'll describe the seasoning peppers I've tried.

Trinidad Perfume has great flavor, but little to no heat.

Grenada Seasoning has that back of the throat heat that says habanero to me, but it's mild. It tastes a bit more like a hab than the other seasoning peppers.

Trinidad Seasoning is my favorite red seasoning pepper, but it's become very difficult to get. A lot of folks confuse it with Tobago Seasoning, and some insist they're the same pepper; but I've grown both, and they not the same pepper.

Tobago Seasoning is thinner fleshed than Trinidad Seasoning, and has a consist ant mild heat, while Trinidad Seasoning has little to no heat. Tobago Seasoning also tastes more like a hab, while Trinidad Seasoning tastes sweeter.

Zavory was more like the Trinidad Seasoning, and I'm wondering if it was bred from it. Trinidad Seasoning became hard to get the year Zavory was released, and it kinda made me suspicious.

I've grown Aji Dulcie I and II, but they were unremarkable enough that I would have to get into my notes to see why I decided not to grown them again.

St Lucia never produced for me. The plant grew tall and beautiful, but I didn't get a single pepper from it.

Puppy is a really prolific mild hab that I used to grow mostly to make poppers for my mother. Nice flavor on peppers that look like red jelly beans, but the flesh is soft, and they don't hold well.

The Aji Panca is a mild chinense that I described above.
Old November 8, 2009   #14
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
I just put the PepperBox section of my software in the Free Software thread over in General Discussions.

Ted

Stop taunting me! It'll be another week before the new computer arrives.
Old November 9, 2009   #15
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Thanks for the choices Blue! I grew Red Dominica a couple years ago. It had a wonderful flavor, but of course was hot!! So I want to grow some mild habs.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote