Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 5, 2016   #46
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

friendly folks

Indeed. Here's one of the few happy stories to come out of 9/11, the way the locals in Newfoundland treated the plane passengers who were stranded there.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/gander.asp
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #47
bower
Tomatovillian™

Cole, it's probably just natural selection in action... the culture of cooperation and making sure everyone survives was a necessity in rural Newfoundland. You simply wouldn't survive on your own, or if competition and greed took the place of those values.
Sense of humour is an asset too. For the weather alone. And if you're a farmer, it helps if you like rocks.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2016   #48
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

On the topic of 2016 prices, here are a couple of pics from the farmer's market in New York City. I found these pics on facebook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NYCplantprices.jpg (94.1 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg NYCplantprices2.jpg (140.6 KB, 260 views)
Old May 15, 2016   #49
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if people were willing to pay that price, even though the seedlings were healthy and strong... If someplace sells plants for 3$, how can this vendor justify 9$?
Don't get me wrong, I think they deserve a decent price... and the pot is also included. It's just that question, are people ready?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #50
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Holy crap...kinda false advertising since heirlooms aren't exactly easy to grow. Maybe I could use that pic to show people what a great deal they are getting.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #51
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I wonder if people were willing to pay that price, even though the seedlings were healthy and strong... If someplace sells plants for 3$, how can this vendor justify 9$?
Don't get me wrong, I think they deserve a decent price... and the pot is also included. It's just that question, are people ready?
Oh yes, you can bet tere was folks who gladly paid that price and didn't blink an eye. Not sure which part of New York that is, but NY has the reputation for being expensive. On the television lately they have been showing more and more urban garden programs and showing folks who live in places like NY how to grow on roofs and on cement and any little corner of ground they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Holy crap...kinda false advertising since heirlooms aren't exactly easy to grow. Maybe I could use that pic to show people what a great deal they are getting.
I notice the ones in the pic are cherry types. Hopefully they can get a few tomatoes to grow. ( bucks is a tad high I think. If they grow and get tomatoes, then maybe next year they will buy more plants from local growers to try. If they fail, then maybe they will appreciate what the local farmers go through to bring them fresh, home-grown tomatoes to market and not quibble over prices.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #52
oakley
Tomatovillian™

That seems pretty high for NYC. And this comes from a 25yr NewYorker. Yet, i did see a similar sized Bonnie patio at a big box for 10. 15 for a hanging planter with a few cheap herbs poked in.
Most often i see 6-7$ for that size heirloom locally. 5 for 20-25.
But that is at a nursery where we drive to them. Setting up in an NYC greenmarket is not an easy task. I hope they do well.

Newfoundland does have fine farmland. I pass one every morning on a hike that has not been used since my time there. I know the family and the son that had hoped to start it back up but he must be off the island for work. I heard Halifax.
I've watched friends and neighbors the past dozen years bring along a fine garden. The greenhouse is just a couple yrs old. Their sons have returned to raise families and work the family business.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 7.07.30 PM.png (956.0 KB, 185 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #53
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Went to the river market today. Tomatoes were going for $3 a pound. One guy had them for $3.50.

-Zach
Old June 4, 2016   #54
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Any heirlooms or just red baseballs?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #55
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

I was going to ask the same question. Another question was were the locally grown homegrown fresh to the market?
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #56
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Large beefsteaks. I'm not sure if they were heirlooms or not but they were far from store bought. I talked to one of them and they said that he grows in a hoop house.

-Zach
Old June 4, 2016   #57
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if they were picked green and ethylene-gassed.
Old June 4, 2016   #58
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

$2.50 pound
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #59
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of prices, I just agreed on 2.50/lb for my tomatoes with a higher end restaurant.
Thought that might be helpful to anyone trying to do wholesale to restaurants.
It is a beach resort area on a busy foot-traffic street.
I could live with 2$ so 2.50 is nice. I have heard of 3-6$ in some areas of the country, but I want to move product.
An established grower a bit south of me I talked to gets 2.

Looking forward to this week. We are actually supposed to get 5 straight days of sun!
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2016   #60
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I wonder if they were picked green and ethylene-gassed.

I don't think so. We bought a few. They don't taste like store bought ones and are also softer. We have had a very warm year so far. I could see tomatoes this early in a high tunnel pretty easy. I could have set my plants out beginning of April and they would have been fine.

-Zach